Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 WR class

(04-08-2022, 09:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 08:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Pickens drop rate is so low, because he doesn't even get open enough to have the QB look his way. He is the most inconsistent WR in this class. His career high is just 49 receptions. Compare that to a guy like Skyy Moore who had 95 receptions last season or Jahan Dotson who had 91. Gimme a guy with a little higher drop rate who consistently gets separation vs. a guy who barely ever gets open and drops a few less passes. Those stats can be very deceiving.
2% drop rate on 49 receptions is impressive.   He had a impressive freshman year and tore his ACL his sophomore year and coming back from it last year.   College stats is great but you draft a player on what you think he can do in the NFL not for what he did in college

Do you watch any Georgia games? Pickens lives off of making 3-4 highlight catches during the season (usually contested catches) and then he completely disappears for games on end. He very rarely gets open, so the QB hardly ever looks his way. I have no clue why he is ranked as highly as he is. The best receiver by far for Georgia was their TE. That kid is gonna be the next Travis Kelce if he stays healthy. 

I stand by what I said. I'd much rather have a receiver who consistently gets open and drops a few more passes over a sure-handed WR who rarely gets separation and can't shed opposing DB's.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-08-2022, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 2% drop rate on 49 receptions is impressive.   He had a impressive freshman year and tore his ACL his sophomore year and coming back from it last year.   College stats is great but you draft a player on what you think he can do in the NFL not for what he did in college

Do you watch any Georgia games? Pickens lives off of making 3-4 highlight catches during the season (usually contested catches) and then he completely disappears for games on end. He very rarely gets open, so the QB hardly ever looks his way. I have no clue why he is ranked as highly as he is. The best receiver by far for Georgia was their TE. That kid is gonna be the next Travis Kelce if he stays healthy. 

I stand by what I said. I'd much rather have a receiver who consistently gets open and drops a few more passes over a sure-handed WR who rarely gets separation and can't shed opposing DB's.
(emphasis added)

If the part in bold is a bad thing, why in the world do you like London?!?  Pick any highlight clip bundle of his.  All you see are contested catches because he can't separate.

I've seen Pickens get behind a defense a few times.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Do you watch any Georgia games? Pickens lives off of making 3-4 highlight catches during the season (usually contested catches) and then he completely disappears for games on end. He very rarely gets open, so the QB hardly ever looks his way. I have no clue why he is ranked as highly as he is. The best receiver by far for Georgia was their TE. That kid is gonna be the next Travis Kelce if he stays healthy. 

(emphasis added)

If the part in bold is a bad thing, why in the world do you like London?!?  Pick any highlight clip bundle of his.  All you see are contested catches because he can't separate.

Go take a look at a lot of those throws, a lot are bad throws.   It's crazy that you think if a guy's is elite at making contested catches its a bad thing.  In the NFL, if you're going against a good corner most catches are going to be contested and I want my WR to be able to make those contested catches and London is the best at that.  You obviously hated A Rob.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 10:18 AM by Upper.)

(04-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If the part in bold is a bad thing, why in the world do you like London?!?  Pick any highlight clip bundle of his.  All you see are contested catches because he can't separate.

To be fair, the reason you see a ton of contested catches on a highlight clip is because they make for good highlights. He has a ton of open catches in between that don't make highlights because they are routine.

(04-08-2022, 09:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 2% drop rate on 49 receptions is impressive. 

Also, to be fair, they're never going to score a guy with a drop on a tough contested catch that Pickens doesn't come down with. Since Pickens has such a high amount of contested catch situations that gives him an inordinate amount of opportunities to make a catch on a play that will never be counted as a drop.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 11:16 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-08-2022, 10:06 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: (emphasis added)

Go take a look at a lot of those throws, a lot are bad throws.   It's crazy that you think if a guy's is elite at making contested catches its a bad thing.  In the NFL, if you're going against a good corner most catches are going to be contested and I want my WR to be able to make those contested catches and London is the best at that.  You obviously hated A Rob.

Mo, I didn't hate ARob.

Yes, ARob made some contested ball catches.  But Arob had plenty of instances where he got behind defenders with separation.

Making contested catches is a good thing.  You won't be able to separate every pass play against every player.  But rarely if never separating forces a lot of contested catch situations, it's NOT good.

(04-08-2022, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If the part in bold is a bad thing, why in the world do you like London?!?  Pick any highlight clip bundle of his.  All you see are contested catches because he can't separate.

To be fair, the reason you see a ton of contested catches on a highlight clip is because they make for good highlights. He has a ton of open catches in between that don't make highlights because they are routine.

I've never seen a highlight package where every catch is a contested catch, except for those "You got Mossed" montages.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-08-2022, 11:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 10:06 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Go take a look at a lot of those throws, a lot are bad throws.   It's crazy that you think if a guy's is elite at making contested catches its a bad thing.  In the NFL, if you're going against a good corner most catches are going to be contested and I want my WR to be able to make those contested catches and London is the best at that.  You obviously hated A Rob.

Mo, I didn't hate ARob.

Yes, ARob made some contested ball catches.  But Arob had plenty of instances where he got behind defenders with separation.

Making contested catches is a good thing.  You won't be able to separate every pass play against every player.  But rarely if never separating forces a lot of contested catch situations, it's NOT good.

(04-08-2022, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote: To be fair, the reason you see a ton of contested catches on a highlight clip is because they make for good highlights. He has a ton of open catches in between that don't make highlights because they are routine.

I've never seen a highlight package where every catch is a contested catch, except for those "You got Mossed" montages.

A Rob got very little separation.  London gets open with good route running and it was clear his QB has a weak arm because he always underthrew him when going deep.

(04-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Do you watch any Georgia games? Pickens lives off of making 3-4 highlight catches during the season (usually contested catches) and then he completely disappears for games on end. He very rarely gets open, so the QB hardly ever looks his way. I have no clue why he is ranked as highly as he is. The best receiver by far for Georgia was their TE. That kid is gonna be the next Travis Kelce if he stays healthy. 

(emphasis added)

Because it's all about consistency. London will make 3-4 contested highlight catches each game, whereas Pickens makes only 3-4 of those same catches during an entire season. To put it into perspective, London had almost double Pickens career high in receptions in just 8 games last season. Pickens career high of 49 receptions came in an 11 game season. London consistently catches almost everything thrown his way, regardless of whether he is covered, because he shows great hands, route running and a very physical style of play. His QB trusted him to go up and retrieve the ball in any situation. Pickens is not that type of player. I'm not worried so much about separation, if the receiver is consistently making opposing DB's look silly like London does. Pickens is just very spotty in his play. He's not even close to being the route runner London is and he's certainly not as physical at high pointing the ball. I don't even think Pickens sticks in the league over 5 years, maybe less.

(04-08-2022, 11:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Because it's all about consistency. London will make 3-4 contested highlight catches each game, whereas Pickens makes only 3-4 of those same catches during an entire season. To put it into perspective, London had almost double Pickens career high in receptions in just 8 games last season. Pickens career high of 49 receptions came in an 11 game season. London consistently catches almost everything thrown his way, regardless of whether he is covered, because he shows great hands, route running and a very physical style of play. His QB trusted him to go up and retrieve the ball in any situation. Pickens is not that type of player. I'm not worried so much about separation, if the receiver is consistently making opposing DB's look silly like London does. Pickens is just very spotty in his play. He's not even close to being the route runner London is and he's certainly not as physical at high pointing the ball. I don't even think Pickens sticks in the league over 5 years, maybe less.
Did you know DK Metcalfs best college season was 39 for 670 and 7 TDs?

(04-08-2022, 11:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1...Wl2ypBoWfQ

The problem is Pierce ain't going in the 80s. I don't think he even makes it to our pick at 65.

(04-08-2022, 10:06 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

But he's not! Making 3-4 contested highlight catches during an entire season doesn't make that player elite, it doesn't even make them very good, especially when the disappear for very long stretches at a time. Drake London seems to make 3-4 contested highlight catches each game. Now, that is a guy who is elite at making contested catches, certainly not Pickens. You cannot simply blame Pickens inconsistencies on bad throws. Stetson Bennett completed almost 65% of his passes during the season. He was actually one of the more accurate QB's in the NCAA. His TE Brock Bowers, certainly didn't have any problems catching passes from Bennett. 

I never hated Allen Robinson when he played here. I was actually a big fan of his until he proved he didn't want to be here. He was a very talented WR and I had him very high on my board coming out of Penn State. Now, he is older and not the same receiver he was in his prime. If he could magically turn back time and return to his 2019 or 2020 form and we'd be assured that he truly wanted to be here, I would've been all for signing him. He's not that same player anymore though.

(04-08-2022, 11:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 11:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Because it's all about consistency. London will make 3-4 contested highlight catches each game, whereas Pickens makes only 3-4 of those same catches during an entire season. To put it into perspective, London had almost double Pickens career high in receptions in just 8 games last season. Pickens career high of 49 receptions came in an 11 game season. London consistently catches almost everything thrown his way, regardless of whether he is covered, because he shows great hands, route running and a very physical style of play. His QB trusted him to go up and retrieve the ball in any situation. Pickens is not that type of player. I'm not worried so much about separation, if the receiver is consistently making opposing DB's look silly like London does. Pickens is just very spotty in his play. He's not even close to being the route runner London is and he's certainly not as physical at high pointing the ball. I don't even think Pickens sticks in the league over 5 years, maybe less.
Did you know DK Metcalfs best college season was 39 for 670 and 7 TDs?

And admittedly, I was not a fan of Metcalf coming out of college. He played opposite A.J. Brown who had back to back seasons of 75 and 85 receptions. Metcalf was always second fiddle to Brown in college, so he never had a chance to blossom as a receiver until he reached the NFL. Pickens has no other WR on the Bulldogs to play second fiddle to, so they are different situations.