Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Derek Carr leaves Raiders after being benched for the remainder of the season

Derek Carr and the Raiders have mutually agreed that Carr "should step away from the team for the remainder of the year so as not to be a distraction".

Distraction?  From what?  The season is in the tank, and Carr most likely won't be there next year.  They are benching him so they won't be on the hook for 33 mil guaranteed if he gets injured.

Carr deserves better than the Raiders and McDaniels, who so far isn't much better of a coach than Nate Hackett, and he's got prior HC experience.

Carr would instantly improve the Jets, Giants, Redskins, Tacks, Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Dolphins.  Today.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Like I said before the season, all those moves the AFC West did just so the Chiefs can win the division again

Raiders suck. Just like they did under Gruden.

(12-29-2022, 05:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Derek Carr and the Raiders have mutually agreed that Carr "should step away from the team for the remainder of the year so as not to be a distraction".

Distraction?  From what?  The season is in the tank, and Carr most likely won't be there next year.  They are benching him so they won't be on the hook for 33 mil guaranteed if he gets injured.

Carr deserves better than the Raiders and McDaniels, who so far isn't much better of a coach than Nate Hackett, and he's got prior HC experience.

Carr would instantly improve the Jets, Giants, Redskins, Tacks, Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Dolphins.  Today.

the distraction would be players second guessing coaches/mgmt who decided they're better off with Stidham than Carr.
the distraction would be players that think their franchise's owner is a cheap bastard who can't afford a sensible haircut.
the distraction would be fans booing and calling for Carr every time Stidham throws one in the dirt

Raiders did him dirty, and I hope they get a decade of piss poor QB play to show for it.

(12-29-2022, 05:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Like I said before the season, all those moves the AFC West did just so the Chiefs can win the division again

Raiders suck. Just like they did under Gruden.

They have made some horrible coaching/front office hires.

Mayock was fun to listen to on NFLN draft coverage, but to the extent he had control of the draft room, he was a disaster.

The caveat was that Gruden ay well have had influence there.  He has typically won, but he was way too reliant on blue haired vets and his teams were way too old.

Derek Carr has only played in ONE (1) playoff game during his nine years with the Raiders.

That makes no sense.

That said, he'll likely end up in Indy next year, just like every other washed former starter.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

He's a middle of the pack QB that has moments of looking franchise level.
At least that's what I've seen without doing a deep dive on his 2022 film.

That may sound like a slight - but it means there's a dozen teams that would vie for his services and that's not a bad spot to be in, especially after the raiders already paid him enough to retire on.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022, 01:51 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-29-2022, 07:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's a middle of the pack QB that has moments of looking franchise level.

That may sound like a slight - but it means there's a dozen teams that would vie for his services and that's not a bad spot to be in, especially after the raiders already paid him enough to retire on.

There's nothing wrong with being a top 12-15 QB.  That means you're teams are always in the playoff hunt, and if you have a good GM and Good HC, you could find team in the SuperBowl if things fall right.

The only thing I disagree with you is that I think being a top 12-15 QB is a franchise QB.  Getting a top 5 QB is rare.  But you can be a fun, enjoyable franchise to support and cheer on if you have a QB like Carr that is a professional, can make all the throws, but is just a step below the best of the best.

Plenty of teams wins Super Bowls with that type of franchise QB.  Just look at Flacco, Eli Manning, Russel Wilson, etc...

What's a killer is when you have a 18-32 QB and your franchise has no ability to upgrade. That's when you live in hell for 10 years or so...

(12-31-2022, 01:49 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(12-29-2022, 07:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's a middle of the pack QB that has moments of looking franchise level.

There's nothing wrong with being a top 12-15 QB.  That means you're teams are always in the playoff hunt, and if you have a good GM and Good HC, you could find team in the SuperBowl if things fall right.

The only thing I disagree with you is that I think being a top 12-15 QB is a franchise QB.  Getting a top 5 QB is rare.  But you can be a fun, enjoyable franchise to support and cheer on if you have a QB like Carr that is a professional, can make all the throws, but is just a step below the best of the best.

Plenty of teams wins Super Bowls with that type of franchise QB.  Just look at Flacco, Eli Manning, Russel Wilson, etc...

What's a killer is when you have a 18-32 QB and your franchise has no ability to upgrade.  That's when you live in hell for 10 years or so...

Pretty hard to disagree with me on something I never said. 

Saying a guy occasionally looks like a franchise QB and a dozen teams could upgrade with him is NOT whatever you're trying to attribute to me. 

If you want the most literal interpretation of my post, it would be  "he's roughly the 20th ranked QB in the league and is not a franchise QB - but sometimes plays like one"