Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A New Favorite Prospect - NC State OL Ikem Ekwonu

(03-06-2022, 07:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 05:27 PM)Dimson Wrote: I'm gun shy on Neal. Alabama O linemen tend to be hit or miss in the pros. Hutch will be a big hit in Jacksonville and he makes a lot of sense at 1.

Agreed. My concern with Neal is that he's being compared to Tristan Wirfs at RT. Again, that's great! Just not ideal to select him there with the first overall selection. Wirfs was outside of the top ten the year he was drafted by the Buccaneers. 

I personally think Neal could be on the same level as Eugene Monroe in the NFL as a LT. Which, again, it's not bad. I just don't think you can justify selecting him, especially now after what Hutchinson just did at the combine. 

Pairing a freak athlete like Hutchinson with Allen is just too damn tempting now. Thibodeaux was already being questioned about his commitment to the game prior to the combine and he doubled down on those questions by [BLEEP] out after an event didn't go his way. 

I'll tell you this too, since this thread is all about new favorites and what not. After watching some of the other players fly around out there in the lateral drills? There's some sneaky good linebackers in this class that match up athletically with what their stat sheets were indicating. 

I was already high on Brandon Smith out of Penn State but he didn't hit that 4.4 I was hoping for. BUT...

Troy Andersen, out of Montana State. He's one of those multi purpose athlete kind of guys that has excellent football IQ. Still learning the LB position. Played RB and QB at Montana State. Did a whole multitude of different things. At his size with that 4.4 speed he's worth a flyer in RD5 or RD6 if he's there. He's a guy you can probably teach something to and just throw him out there on Special Teams as a hunter to get the football back. You could probably throw him around in the backfield. Kind of like Taysom Hill in New Orleans.

I would like to see Pederson work with him.

Totally agree. We need Hutchinson. He is super productive, he has a non-stop motor, his 10 yard split was slightly better than the average of those ran by the top pass rushers in the NFL and he had the top 3 cone time of all the edge pass rushers by a significant margin for good measure. He also did the linebacker drills at the Combine like a natural. He is hands down the top player in this draft. Pairing him opposite Josh Allen should not only give us a legitimate pass rush, it should help restore Allen to what he once was as well. 

Troy Andersen is an elite ILB in this draft class. I believe next to edge rusher, ILB is our biggest defensive need. I am not a fan of Wilson at all and Myles Jack is playing in the wrong scheme for his skillset. We have to find a true 3-4 ILB with coverage ability. Too many times we were killed by opposing TE's. That has to stop. This is not a deep draft for ILB'S. We have to get one of the top guys. Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd will be long gone, but we need to focus in and target guys like Chad Muma, Damone Clark, Troy Andersen or Christian Harris. I'd definitely use one of our 3rd round selections to take one of these guys, because I don't think any of them make it out of round 3. After these 3, the quality at the position dips tremendously. Very tremendously.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-06-2022, 08:23 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 07:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. My concern with Neal is that he's being compared to Tristan Wirfs at RT. Again, that's great! Just not ideal to select him there with the first overall selection. Wirfs was outside of the top ten the year he was drafted by the Buccaneers. 

I personally think Neal could be on the same level as Eugene Monroe in the NFL as a LT. Which, again, it's not bad. I just don't think you can justify selecting him, especially now after what Hutchinson just did at the combine. 

Pairing a freak athlete like Hutchinson with Allen is just too damn tempting now. Thibodeaux was already being questioned about his commitment to the game prior to the combine and he doubled down on those questions by [BLEEP] out after an event didn't go his way. 

I'll tell you this too, since this thread is all about new favorites and what not. After watching some of the other players fly around out there in the lateral drills? There's some sneaky good linebackers in this class that match up athletically with what their stat sheets were indicating. 

I was already high on Brandon Smith out of Penn State but he didn't hit that 4.4 I was hoping for. BUT...

Troy Andersen, out of Montana State. He's one of those multi purpose athlete kind of guys that has excellent football IQ. Still learning the LB position. Played RB and QB at Montana State. Did a whole multitude of different things. At his size with that 4.4 speed he's worth a flyer in RD5 or RD6 if he's there. He's a guy you can probably teach something to and just throw him out there on Special Teams as a hunter to get the football back. You could probably throw him around in the backfield. Kind of like Taysom Hill in New Orleans.

I would like to see Pederson work with him.

Totally agree. We need Hutchinson. He is super productive, he has a non-stop motor, his 10 yard split was slightly better than the average of those ran by the top pass rushers in the NFL and he had the top 3 cone time of all the edge pass rushers by a significant margin for good measure. He also did the linebacker drills at the Combine like a natural. He is hands down the top player in this draft. Pairing him opposite Josh Allen should not only give us a legitimate pass rush, it should help restore Allen to what he once was as well. 

Troy Andersen is an elite ILB in this draft class. I believe next to edge rusher, ILB is our biggest defensive need. I am not a fan of Wilson at all and Myles Jack is playing in the wrong scheme for his skillset. We have to find a true 3-4 ILB with coverage ability. Too many times we were killed by opposing TE's. That has to stop. This is not a deep draft for ILB'S. We have to get one of the top guys. Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd will be long gone, but we need to focus in and target guys like Chad Muma, Damone Clark, Troy Andersen or Christian Harris. I'd definitely use one of our 3rd round selections to take one of these guys, because I don't think any of them make it out of round 3. After these 3, the quality at the position dips tremendously. Very tremendously.
Agree also. Love Icky but am on the Hutch train now. I think he can be real special and take some focus off of Allen. Maybe we can get some inside push in free agency.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 10:29 AM by Upper. Edited 3 times in total.)

Ekwonu had a good composite score, but the short shuttle is what is king for OTs and he was just barely good enough at that. 4.75 is considered the threshold and 4.47 is where those elite guys wind up...and Icky was 4.73. That would be a fine number if we're talking about a developmental guy on day 3, but for the #1 overall pick? I want a guy who destroys the thresholds if I'm talking #1.

I don't think that is surprising since the tape already showed that he was the worst of the big 3 OTs in pass protection and he has a tendency to overset. He just doesn't move as well laterally so he has to overcompensate for it at times.

I think taking him ahead of any of Hutch, Thibs, Walker, Neal, Cross, or Hamilton would be crazy. Can probably add a corner or two to that list as well. Which is distressing since there is more and more smoke that our FO loves him.

It is such a no brainer to tag Cam, draft Lucas or Diesch to develop for a year, and draft an EDGE at 1.

(02-28-2022, 09:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Christian Watson is my guy. I really hope he falls to the 3rd

This again.  This guy will be elite

Troy Anderson is my guy on defense. I really hope he makes it to our 3rd round pick

(03-10-2022, 10:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Troy Anderson is my guy on defense.  I really hope he makes it to our 3rd round pick

I'd take Andersen, Muma, Lloyd, Dean, Clark or to a lesser degree, Harris.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2022, 11:42 AM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Obviously there's no way Dean or Lloyd are there in hte 3rd. Fortunately there are a bunch more good linebackers to add to the list.

Asamoah, Chenal, Tindall, and Quay Walker are all very promising too. One of them will fall to 65 or 70 and I hope they are the pick, alone with Lucas or Diesch with the other one.

(03-10-2022, 11:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 10:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Troy Anderson is my guy on defense.  I really hope he makes it to our 3rd round pick

I'd take Andersen, Muma, Lloyd, Dean, Clark or to a lesser degree, Harris.

It be nice one of them but after Dean and Lloyd I want Anderson.  If Anderson is gone I'd like to get Muma.  They are not all rated the same imo.

(03-10-2022, 11:40 AM)Upper Wrote: Obviously there's no way Dean or Lloyd are there in hte 3rd. Fortunately there are a bunch more good linebackers to add to the list.

Asamoah, Chenal, Tindall, and Quay Walker are all very promising too. One of them will fall to 65 or 70 and I hope they are the pick, alone with Lucas or Diesch with the other one.

Absolutely. I was just dreaming. 

I see Asamoah as a 4-3 OLB only. I think he'd be another Myles Jack type in a 3-4 scheme. I just think he's a bad scheme fit. 

Chenal lacks coverage ability. If you need him as a pass rushing presence on this inside, he's good, but we need someone who can cover opposing TE's. That is my main focus. 

Tindall is interesting, but at 6'2" 230lbs., he's gonna need to add some bulk. I'd like to see him closer to 240lbs. 

I'm just not a fan of Quay Walker. He's very good against the run, but against the pass, he lacks instincts and will either overrun plays or take bad angles.

(03-10-2022, 11:40 AM)Upper Wrote: Obviously there's no way Dean or Lloyd are there in hte 3rd. Fortunately there are a bunch more good linebackers to add to the list.

I agree that in the 3rd round the Jaguars should strongly consider a linebacker and a right tackle to develop for the future once Little moves to left tackle. Tight end also needs to be considered depending who is still on the board. That position is so deep, however, that they might be able to get a very good player at the top of round 4. Depending on free agency, if they don't make any trades I'd like to see:

Rd. 1: Hutchinson

Rd. 2: Wide Receiver

Rd. 3: Linebacker and offensive tackle

Rd. 4: Tight end

Of course, all of this goes out the window if any player they love at another position (other than QB) drops to them. This team could use help everywhere and taking BAP is never a bad thing.

Jelani Woods making it to 102 is probably unlikely but my dream.

(03-10-2022, 02:25 PM)Upper Wrote: Jelani Woods making it to 102 is probably unlikely but my dream.

Agreed. He'd be a great selection.

(03-10-2022, 03:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 02:25 PM)Upper Wrote: Jelani Woods making it to 102 is probably unlikely but my dream.

Agreed. He'd be a great selection.

Strange probably rose too high to get him there, but maybe Zach Tom or Chris Paul there too. Should be a good option.

I do like the size of Wood. Not many guys 6'7". If we can't get McBride he'd be a good get