Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive Tackle

(01-29-2024, 01:40 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 11:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we drafted a DT in the 1st would yall rather Jer'Zhan Newton or T'Vondre Sweat?  I think Newton has the potential to be one of the next up and coming 3 techs in a 4 man front or 5 tech in a 3 down lineman.  I also think Sweat can be one of the next up and coming great NTs like a Dexter Lawrence. Which would you guys rather if we went DT in the 1st?

I'd prefer Newton over Sweat. They are different players with Sweat more the run stuffer and Newton the inside pass rusher. I would worry about Sweat's weight and conditioning; Mehji Becton was huge when drafted high by the Jets and ballooned up to 400 pounds at one point. Even though he lost significant weight last season, he performed poorly. Newton is the much safer pick, but he'd need a bigger tackle playing next to him. Seems like finding a big run stuffing nose tackle later in the draft or free agency would be easier than finding an interior DL capable of double digit sacks as well as being adequate against the run.

In defense of Sweat, a dominant NT can certainly improve the teams pass rush without getting sacks himself.  He either eats up two OL players allowing space/mismatches for other pass rushers, or collapses the interior pocket against 1 OL player allowing your outside pass-rushers to get home.  If you think of Ted Washington and Vince Wilfork, they absolutely dominated the interior line allowing LBs (in a 3-4) to pick up those fancy sack numbers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-25-2024, 11:07 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Wonder what it would take to pry Derrick Brown out of Carolina?

Something we don't have to give especially when we can just sign one in FA and won't have to give up draft picks

I won't pretend to know the cap situation. Maybe Jags have no money as Wilkins will command a lot of money, but he is a complete stud. Broke NFL tackle record for a DT, than broke his own record for tackles by a Defensive lineman the next year. As good as run defender as there is for a DT. 6th in sacks last year among DTs, 3rd in QB Hits

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1...6164603010

To me, i would much rather have a stud DT than resign Ridley

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 02:08 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-03-2024, 01:08 PM)Newton Wrote: To me, i would much rather have a stud DT than resign Ridley
If they can resign Allen, sign Wilkins and draft BTJ, AD Mitchel or trade up for Rome?! We cookin.

This is with the assumption they upgrade IOL through FA.

(03-03-2024, 01:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 01:08 PM)Newton Wrote: To me, i would much rather have a stud DT than resign Ridley
If they can resign Allen, sign Wilkins and draft BTJ, AD Mitchel or trade up for Rome?! We cookin.

This is with the assumption they upgrade IOL through FA.

Nice picks, but it comes all comes down to how they choose to deal with the OL. If they really want Powers-Johnson they will have to take him in the first round. He will not be there in the second. Eagles would most likely covet him after losing their last stud center to retirement.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Curious to see how tyler lacy gets developed

(03-03-2024, 03:37 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Curious to see how tyler lacy gets developed

Spoilers: He won't.

Miami has no intentions of tagging Christian Wilkins. If I could have one free agent this off season on defense? He's the one.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-04-2024, 02:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/...83002?s=20

As expected. He just couldn't stay healthy and rarely moved the needle when he was out there.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-04-2024, 02:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://x.com/Jaguars/status/1764687076337815684?s=20

HAHA. I know, man, that's kind of [BLEEP] up but it happens....

(03-04-2024, 03:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 02:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://x.com/Jaguars/status/1764687076337815684?s=20

HAHA. I know, man, that's kind of [BLEEP] up but it happens....

He's got plenty of money.  All he had to do is live up to his contract and he wouldn't have been cut.

That's rough. I agree with the cut itself but the optics of it isn't perfect. Anyway, onto next one...

(03-04-2024, 03:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 03:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: HAHA. I know, man, that's kind of [BLEEP] up but it happens....

He's got plenty of money.  All he had to do is live up to his contract and he wouldn't have been cut.

I agree. I was excited about him when we signed him. Especially in the run defense department but he just couldn't stay healthy worth a lick at all. Hopefully Baalke can make some more moves. 

This move, in addition to having Hamilton back this year after a year of essentially doing nothing but trying to recover and rehab, it almost guarantees this team has to be eyeing a DT in free agency at a premium cap percentage or at least in the draft. 

If they fail to sign a solid DT or a pair of competent DT's at the price of a solid DT. I would think all of a sudden the two DT's from Texas, the guy from Illinois and Ruke out of Clemson have to be the apple of somebody's eye in this scouting department.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 04:11 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

They probably have the birthday tweets scheduled in advance with HootSuite or something similar. It's funny though. In their process flow charts, they should add a rule to check the player's birthdate before cutting them and wait a day if it's something like this.

(03-04-2024, 04:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: They probably have the birthday tweets scheduled in advance with HootSuite or something similar. It's funny though.

It's hilarious. Happy Birthday! But also! [BLEEP] you! You're fired!

[Image: zombie-land-comedy.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-04-2024, 11:42 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 03:37 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Curious to see how tyler lacy gets developed

Spoilers: He won't.

And why not ?

Why should we write of the kid going into year 2
Our new DC is known for bringing out the best in players so I don't see why not