Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the Jags trade down in the 1st round?
Yes
No
91%. Not quite there at 100% decision.
[Show Results]

Should the Jags trade down in the 1st Round?

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024, 12:40 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Bowers is a generational type talent at TE. I would do that for Trevor

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd make that trade with the Saints for our 1st, 3rd and one 4th. Having Bowers and Engram would be too tough to pass on- especially the way Pederson utilizes his tight ends. It still wouldn't be easy to do and if Mitchell or Latu were still on the board at 14 I'd likely not make the deal and pray one of those two make it to 17.

You guys crack me up sometimes
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 12:09 AM by Jagulars. Edited 2 times in total.)

No way a TE should even be considered. With Engram and Strange in his second season. That would easily admit the Strange pick from the 2nd round was a waste too soon by doing that.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 10:23 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-18-2024, 12:06 AM)Jagulars Wrote: No way a TE should even be considered. With Engram and Strange in his second season. That would easily admit the Strange pick from the 2nd round was a waste too soon by doing that.

You don't pass on Bowers because you have Strange on your roster.  That would be like passing on Linderbaum because you have Fortner on your roster.  You can have 3 TEs on your roster.  Bowers you can spread out and use him like a WR if you want, or as an inline TE, or even put him in the backfield or in motion.  There might not be a better prospect to ever come out that doesn't fit Doug's offense better than Bowers does.  He's the best college TE ever and Doug's offense might be the most TE friendly offense in this league.  It would be a perfect match.

(03-17-2024, 11:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Bowers is there at 14 would yall jump the Colts and move up 3 spots to take Bowers?  I think I would, we would get Bowers on top of keeping him out of the division.  Bowers would take this offense to the next level.

not at all.

Only guy I trade UP for would be Odunze, and at that it's gotta be for a steal of value in our favor to move. We are not a TE away form superb owl contention.

Let the other teams scramble and take guys at positions we don't need. I sit where I'm slotted and let the players fall to me.

This is not a draft that requires moving up, considering where we stand currently and what the board looks like.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 10:57 AM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2024, 05:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd make that trade with the Saints for our 1st, 3rd and one 4th. Having Bowers and Engram would be too tough to pass on- especially the way Pederson utilizes his tight ends. It still wouldn't be easy to do and if Mitchell or Latu were still on the board at 14 I'd likely not make the deal and pray one of those two make it to 17.

I still remember the year the Failcons darfted Ridley. they already had Julio, signed Sanu in the offseason, and got a blue chipper in Rid. "How is anyone gonna stop them?" I thought.

They went 7-9 for two consecutive seasons. They moved on from Sanu, went 4-12. So much for stacking the deck.

(03-18-2024, 09:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 12:06 AM)Jagulars Wrote: No way a TE should even be considered. With Engram and Strange in his second season. That would easily admit the Strange pick from the 2nd round was a waste too soon by doing that.

You don't pass on Bowers because you have Strange on your roster.  That would be like passing on Linderbaum because you have Fortner on your roster.  You can have 3 TEs on your roster.  Bowers you can spread out and use him like a WR if you want, or as an inline TE, or even put him in the backfield or in motion.  There might not be a better prospect to ever come out that doesn't fit Doug's offense better than Bowers does.  He's the best college TE ever and Doug's offense might be the most TE friendly offense in this league.  It would be a perfect match.

...remember when we were saying this about Hockenson?

Think the Loins regret shipping him off? I mean, he was a vital part of their passing offense. Surely you wouldn't be able to find anyone else capable of producing at that level.

I don't care if they trade up or trade down as long as they walk away from the first 4 rounds with three starting quality players - with one of them having potential to make meaningful impact before his rookie year is complete.

That's kind of my bar. Don't get past round four without accumulating some immediate or 2nd year starters and at least one guy that definitely helps improve a position right away. Extra points if they all dress needs.

Moving up or moving down should be all about achieving value - moving to a spot where a highly rated prospect on your board is projected to land while also addressing a roster need. If they can do this without moving, great. If they need to move to do this, also great.

(03-18-2024, 10:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-17-2024, 05:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd make that trade with the Saints for our 1st, 3rd and one 4th. Having Bowers and Engram would be too tough to pass on- especially the way Pederson utilizes his tight ends. It still wouldn't be easy to do and if Mitchell or Latu were still on the board at 14 I'd likely not make the deal and pray one of those two make it to 17.

I still remember the year the Failcons darfted Ridley. they already had Julio, signed Sanu in the offseason, and got a blue chipper in Rid. "How is anyone gonna stop them?" I thought.

They went 7-9 for two consecutive seasons. They moved on from Sanu, went 4-12. So much for stacking the deck.

(03-18-2024, 09:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You don't pass on Bowers because you have Strange on your roster.  That would be like passing on Linderbaum because you have Fortner on your roster.  You can have 3 TEs on your roster.  Bowers you can spread out and use him like a WR if you want, or as an inline TE, or even put him in the backfield or in motion.  There might not be a better prospect to ever come out that doesn't fit Doug's offense better than Bowers does.  He's the best college TE ever and Doug's offense might be the most TE friendly offense in this league.  It would be a perfect match.

Think the Loins regret shipping him off? I mean, he was a vital part of their passing offense. Surely you wouldn't be able to find anyone else capable of producing at that level.
No I don't remember anyone saying that. I remember everyone loving Hockenson when he was coming out and he was a very good TE prospect but I don't remember anyone saying he was the best college TE ever.  The Lions don't regret letting go of Hockenson because they lucked out and got a All Pro TE in LaPorta.  

If they drafted Strange instead of LaPorta they would be regretting letting go of Hock and I don't think they would of made the playoffs this past year.  We aren't any certain position away from a SB.  We are good health and a couple blue chip players away and if you feel Bowers is a blue chip players and one of the next great TEs you take him.

(03-18-2024, 12:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 10:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: I still remember the year the Failcons darfted Ridley. they already had Julio, signed Sanu in the offseason, and got a blue chipper in Rid. "How is anyone gonna stop them?" I thought.

No I don't remember anyone saying that. I remember everyone loving Hockenson when he was coming out and he was a very good TE prospect but I don't remember anyone saying he was the best college TE ever.  The Lions don't regret letting go of Hockenson because they lucked out and got a All Pro TE in LaPorta.  

If they drafted Strange instead of LaPorta they would be regretting letting go of Hock and I don't think they would of made the playoffs this past year.  We aren't any certain position away from a SB.  We are good health and a couple blue chip players away and if you feel Bowers is a blue chip players and one of the next great TEs you take him.

This is definitely a debate in which both sides have a case. Bowers certainly looks like a future star and difference-maker as a tight end- especially in a system like Pederson's. On the other hand, people thought Kyle Pitts would be that guy in Atlanta and he's been a big disappointment mostly due to the offense run by the Falcons. The decision to trade back should be determined by who is still on the board and obviously the price that must be paid. In the New Orleans scenario, if both Latu and Mitchell were still on the board with 3 picks to go I'd stay at 17 if I felt that at least one of these would still be on the board for the Jaguars. Some may not want Latu due to his injury history, but if he passes the medicals he's a potential difference-maker on the Edge capable of 10 sacks as a rookie. Mitchell plays a critical position and doesn't appear to have any negatives. If the risk fails and both are taken ahead of the Jags pick, there will still be slightly less desirable options like Wiggins, Arnold or DeJean who could also significantly upgrade the secondary next season. 

The decision to part with picks 96 and 116 would mean that 2 position groups in need of quality depth would likely be ignored. There should still be interior linemen on offense and defense as well as receivers still on the board if the Jaguars don't trade. That's why trading up for Bowers would be a tough choice for me.

(03-18-2024, 02:52 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 12:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: No I don't remember anyone saying that. I remember everyone loving Hockenson when he was coming out and he was a very good TE prospect but I don't remember anyone saying he was the best college TE ever.  The Lions don't regret letting go of Hockenson because they lucked out and got a All Pro TE in LaPorta.  

This is definitely a debate in which both sides have a case. Bowers certainly looks like a future star and difference-maker as a tight end- especially in a system like Pederson's. On the other hand, people thought Kyle Pitts would be that guy in Atlanta and he's been a big disappointment mostly due to the offense run by the Falcons. The decision to trade back should be determined by who is still on the board and obviously the price that must be paid. In the New Orleans scenario, if both Latu and Mitchell were still on the board with 3 picks to go I'd stay at 17 if I felt that at least one of these would still be on the board for the Jaguars. Some may not want Latu due to his injury history, but if he passes the medicals he's a potential difference-maker on the Edge capable of 10 sacks as a rookie. Mitchell plays a critical position and doesn't appear to have any negatives. If the risk fails and both are taken ahead of the Jags pick, there will still be slightly less desirable options like Wiggins, Arnold or DeJean who could also significantly upgrade the secondary next season. 

The decision to part with picks 96 and 116 would mean that 2 position groups in need of quality depth would likely be ignored. There should still be interior linemen on offense and defense as well as receivers still on the board if the Jaguars don't trade. That's why trading up for Bowers would be a tough choice for me.

I agree, Pitts had over 1000 yards as a rookie at TE and still hasn't had a decent QB.  With that said as much as I loved Pitts coming out he didn't do what Bowers has done at the college level.  It's college but the things Bowers does great will translate to the pros imo and Piits was a top 5 pick.  We are talking a out pick 14.  You know how I feel about Latu and Mitchell, 2 of my favorite players in the draft as well.  With all bei g said I dont think Bowers gets out of the top 10

(03-18-2024, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 02:52 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is definitely a debate in which both sides have a case. Bowers certainly looks like a future star and difference-maker as a tight end- especially in a system like Pederson's. On the other hand, people thought Kyle Pitts would be that guy in Atlanta and he's been a big disappointment mostly due to the offense run by the Falcons. The decision to trade back should be determined by who is still on the board and obviously the price that must be paid. In the New Orleans scenario, if both Latu and Mitchell were still on the board with 3 picks to go I'd stay at 17 if I felt that at least one of these would still be on the board for the Jaguars. Some may not want Latu due to his injury history, but if he passes the medicals he's a potential difference-maker on the Edge capable of 10 sacks as a rookie. Mitchell plays a critical position and doesn't appear to have any negatives. If the risk fails and both are taken ahead of the Jags pick, there will still be slightly less desirable options like Wiggins, Arnold or DeJean who could also significantly upgrade the secondary next season. 

I agree, Pitts had over 1000 yards as a rookie at TE and still hasn't had a decent QB.  With that said as much as I loved Pitts coming out he didn't do what Bowers has done at the college level.  It's college but the things Bowers does great will translate to the pros imo and Piits was a top 5 pick.  We are talking a out pick 14.  You know how I feel about Latu and Mitchell, 2 of my favorite players in the draft as well.  With all bei g said I dont think Bowers gets out of the top 10

I wouldn't have thought Bowers would drop out of the top 10 either, but several sights have that happening following the first wave of free agency. Some thought the Chargers would take him at 5, but following the loss of Keenan Allen most feel the pick will be Nabers or Odunze. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Draft Wire have him going 18th. It wouldn't surprise me if a team like the Bengals trade up to get him if he makes it past pick 15. 

Imagine how this Board will react if he does make it to pick 15 or the unlikely possibility he makes it to the Jaguars at 17. If the latter happens, I just couldn't pass on him at that spot without having to trade back. Mitchell and Latu can both be very good, but I'm on-board with you about Bowers. He's a complete tight end who should be a perennial pro-bowler.

(03-18-2024, 04:39 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I agree, Pitts had over 1000 yards as a rookie at TE and still hasn't had a decent QB.  With that said as much as I loved Pitts coming out he didn't do what Bowers has done at the college level.  It's college but the things Bowers does great will translate to the pros imo and Piits was a top 5 pick.  We are talking a out pick 14.  You know how I feel about Latu and Mitchell, 2 of my favorite players in the draft as well.  With all bei g said I dont think Bowers gets out of the top 10

I wouldn't have thought Bowers would drop out of the top 10 either, but several sights have that happening following the first wave of free agency. Some thought the Chargers would take him at 5, but following the loss of Keenan Allen most feel the pick will be Nabers or Odunze. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Draft Wire have him going 18th. It wouldn't surprise me if a team like the Bengals trade up to get him if he makes it past pick 15. 

Imagine how this Board will react if he does make it to pick 15 or the unlikely possibility he makes it to the Jaguars at 17. If the latter happens, I just couldn't pass on him at that spot without having to trade back. Mitchell and Latu can both be very good, but I'm on-board with you about Bowers. He's a complete tight end who should be a perennial pro-bowler.
He's a generational type talent at TE.  I've never seen them put a player at 99 on production for a player at any position but they have it for Bowers.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-bowe...f4cc244721

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 10:23 PM by Jag149. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-18-2024, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 04:39 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I wouldn't have thought Bowers would drop out of the top 10 either, but several sights have that happening following the first wave of free agency. Some thought the Chargers would take him at 5, but following the loss of Keenan Allen most feel the pick will be Nabers or Odunze. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Draft Wire have him going 18th. It wouldn't surprise me if a team like the Bengals trade up to get him if he makes it past pick 15. 

He's a generational type talent at TE.  I've never seen them put a player at 99 on production for a player at any position but they have it for Bowers.

I am unsure of the algorithm PFF uses in it's mock draft software, but you can get Bowers to drop to the Jags at 17. Just set both the positional value and draft for needs at the 4th setting from the left. It did it for me like 3 out of 6 times last night. I originally wasn't going to mention this. It just doesn't seem realistic
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's a generational type talent at TE.  I've never seen them put a player at 99 on production for a player at any position but they have it for Bowers.

I am unsure of the algorithm PFF uses in it's mock draft software, but you can get Bowers to drop to the Jags at 17. Just set both the positional value and draft for needs at the 4th setting from the left. It did it for me like 3 out of 6 times last night. I originally wasn't going to mention this. It just doesn't seem realistic

I think it's quite plausible. I also think that it's very plausible that someone behind us moves up to grab him, and I hope that's the case. Keeping letting the guys that fill needs better fall to us. Heck, let him fall to 17 and let us be the beneficiaries of the trade back. Positional value at TE is going to hurt him, but he is by far head and shoulders the  best in this class.

If there's a run on linemen or CB, he could plummet. Someone will be very happy if that happens, I am sure.

(03-19-2024, 08:34 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I am unsure of the algorithm PFF uses in it's mock draft software, but you can get Bowers to drop to the Jags at 17. Just set both the positional value and draft for needs at the 4th setting from the left. It did it for me like 3 out of 6 times last night. I originally wasn't going to mention this. It just doesn't seem realistic

I think it's quite plausible. I also think that it's very plausible that someone behind us moves up to grab him, and I hope that's the case. Keeping letting the guys that fill needs better fall to us. Heck, let him fall to 17 and let us be the beneficiaries of the trade back. Positional value at TE is going to hurt him, but he is by far head and shoulders the  best in this class.

If there's a run on linemen or CB, he could plummet. Someone will be very happy if that happens, I am sure.

TE is still a need, if he falls to 17 I'm sprinting to the podium with Bowers on it.  The steal of the draft.

Yeah, I'm sure Doug would be very happy

(03-19-2024, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 08:34 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think it's quite plausible. I also think that it's very plausible that someone behind us moves up to grab him, and I hope that's the case. Keeping letting the guys that fill needs better fall to us. Heck, let him fall to 17 and let us be the beneficiaries of the trade back. Positional value at TE is going to hurt him, but he is by far head and shoulders the  best in this class.

TE is still a need, if he falls to 17 I'm sprinting to the podium with Bowers on it.  The steal of the draft.

Yea, regardless of how we feel about it Bowers would be the pick if he falls to 17. Just can't see Pederson passing on him even though there are certainly bigger needs.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024, 10:15 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-19-2024, 10:09 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 10:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: TE is still a need, if he falls to 17 I'm sprinting to the podium with Bowers on it.  The steal of the draft.

Yea, regardless of how we feel about it Bowers would be the pick if he falls to 17. Just can't see Pederson passing on him even though there are certainly bigger needs.
Not sure there has been a better prospect at TE for what Doug wants to do at the position.  Everything Doug would love to do at the TE position Bowers is the the dream pick for him.  Use him in-line, put him out wide, put him in motion, put him in the backfield etc. Bowers can do it all at an elite level

(03-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's a generational type talent at TE.  I've never seen them put a player at 99 on production for a player at any position but they have it for Bowers.

Positional Value pushes tight ends down the board no matter how good Bowers might be.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-19-2024, 11:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I am unsure of the algorithm PFF uses in it's mock draft software, but you can get Bowers to drop to the Jags at 17. Just set both the positional value and draft for needs at the 4th setting from the left. It did it for me like 3 out of 6 times last night. I originally wasn't going to mention this. It just doesn't seem realistic

Positional Value pushes tight ends down the board no matter how good Bowers might be.
You've also seen high draft picks used on tight ends and they almost never work long term. I think I read that the only TE drafted in round 1 to get a second contract on the team who drafted him in the last 10 years is David Njoku (not including Pitts).