Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Quincy Williams with the 99th pick

https://twitter.com/Knight_RacersGA/stat...9055191040
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2019, 12:47 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 12:43 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I not upset we got this kid. But I had guys who I thought have a much better chance of coming of the board before our next pick and were still available.

I mean, im going to pull for the guy and get behind the pick but im also going to be watching closely because now I am very interested to see what our scouts saw in this guy that warranted a 3rd round grade.

Honestly, I think they took him in the 3rd because we don't have a 4th and he felt he would be selected in the 4th by teams that had him in for a visit. So was it a reach? Caldwell admitted as much. But it was the end of the 3rd and it sounds like they were ready to take him in the 4th, and possibly along with other teams, so it might not be as big of a reach as it seems.

Wow.  Didn't Gene Smith say the exact same thing, almost word for word?  How about using a third round pick on someone worthy of a third round pick?

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 01:07 AM by fredalwaysajag.)

https://twitter.com/DP_NFL/status/1086710382633328640

https://twitter.com/GoCrazy13_/status/10...7059426316

(04-27-2019, 01:04 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 12:47 AM)Dimson Wrote: Honestly, I think they took him in the 3rd because we don't have a 4th and he felt he would be selected in the 4th by teams that had him in for a visit. So was it a reach? Caldwell admitted as much. But it was the end of the 3rd and it sounds like they were ready to take him in the 4th, and possibly along with other teams, so it might not be as big of a reach as it seems.

Wow.  Didn't Gene Smith say the exact same thing, almost word for word?  How about using a third round pick on someone worthy of a third round pick?

Our 4th round pick wasn't that far off from this pick. Dave also said he has starter attributes so that tells me he thinks highly of him and isn't just expecting him to only be a special teams guy.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-26-2019, 11:30 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Oh no we took a flyer on someone and didn't draft mediocre big school guy on Mel kipers board

Sorry, 3rd round isn't for taking a flyer. You  can still add borderline starters or a very good backup in the 3rd. Flyer  picks are for the 5th round or later. Not a fan of this pick or the Taylor pick. Allen is a stud though .

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/11...6343434241

The first two rounds are where you hope to get your starters from. The third and fourth rounds are where you see teams start to reach for players that they like at positions they consider thin. Rounds five through seven are about grabbing depth, career special teamers and pinch-hitting role players. Looking at what little tape we have here, the dude's a missile. He's going to be golden on special teams from day one, and he looks to have a good physical skillset for eventually playing a big role on defense. With all the big, successful names on defense that are about to need new contracts, eventually something's gonna have to give. Williams is a guy you can bring along slowly, let him blow up returners until he's ready for a bigger role on defense. And even if he's never ready for that bigger role on defense, a special teams warrior who makes for a decent rotational player and backup on D is a perfectly good third-round pick. The Jags don't have a four, so if they had good intel that Williams would be gone before their pick in the fifth round, they couldn't find a trade partner and they didn't want to lose him, drafting him here would seem to be the only option.

Look up the name William Hayes. The Titans drafted him in the fourth round in 2008, and nobody on ESPN's set even knew who he was, including Kiper. On NFLN's set, nobody knew who he was outside of a short blurb in Mike Mayock's draft guide that basically said he exists. Eleven years later, he's still bouncing around the NFL and has been an on-again-off-again starter the whole time. He's the guy that replaced Jevon Kearse in Tennessee. Of course, he also believes in mermaids and thinks that dinosaurs are a conspiracy, but putting that aside it's tough to argue that a deep sleeper in the middle rounds can sometimes work out. If he doesn't, hey, at least he's not another punter.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 01:33 AM by Eric1.)

(04-27-2019, 01:22 AM)TJBender Wrote: The first two rounds are where you hope to get your starters from. The third and fourth rounds are where you see teams start to reach for players that they like at positions they consider thin. Rounds five through seven are about grabbing depth, career special teamers and pinch-hitting role players. Looking at what little tape we have here, the dude's a missile. He's going to be golden on special teams from day one, and he looks to have a good physical skillset for eventually playing a big role on defense. With all the big, successful names on defense that are about to need new contracts, eventually something's gonna have to give. Williams is a guy you can bring along slowly, let him blow up returners until he's ready for a bigger role on defense. And even if he's never ready for that bigger role on defense, a special teams warrior who makes for a decent rotational player and backup on D is a perfectly good third-round pick. The Jags don't have a four, so if they had good intel that Williams would be gone before their pick in the fifth round, they couldn't find a trade partner and they didn't want to lose him, drafting him here would seem to be the only option.

Look up the name William Hayes. The Titans drafted him in the fourth round in 2008, and nobody on ESPN's set even knew who he was, including Kiper. On NFLN's set, nobody knew who he was outside of a short blurb in Mike Mayock's draft guide that basically said he exists. Eleven years later, he's still bouncing around the NFL and has been an on-again-off-again starter the whole time. He's the guy that replaced Jevon Kearse in Tennessee. Of course, he also believes in mermaids and thinks that dinosaurs are a conspiracy, but putting that aside it's tough to argue that a deep sleeper in the middle rounds can sometimes work out. If he doesn't, hey, at least he's not another punter.

Spacing makes it easier for everybody dude... It's not hard to hit enter a time or two...

(04-27-2019, 01:22 AM)TJBender Wrote: The first two rounds are where you hope to get your starters from. The third and fourth rounds are where you see teams start to reach for players that they like at positions they consider thin. Rounds five through seven are about grabbing depth, career special teamers and pinch-hitting role players. Looking at what little tape we have here, the dude's a missile. He's going to be golden on special teams from day one, and he looks to have a good physical skillset for eventually playing a big role on defense. With all the big, successful names on defense that are about to need new contracts, eventually something's gonna have to give. Williams is a guy you can bring along slowly, let him blow up returners until he's ready for a bigger role on defense. And even if he's never ready for that bigger role on defense, a special teams warrior who makes for a decent rotational player and backup on D is a perfectly good third-round pick. The Jags don't have a four, so if they had good intel that Williams would be gone before their pick in the fifth round, they couldn't find a trade partner and they didn't want to lose him, drafting him here would seem to be the only option.

I agree with everything except the bold. Day three and UDFA is what I would spend on that. There are guys still on the board who I felt could offer a lot more long term if not immediately. I am hoping this is more of a shocking diamond in the rough situation but there is a portion of this teams history which has made me understand how highly unlikely that really is.

a top 100 pick is where you are drafting starters. After that it falls off a cliff.

Plenty of starting caliber plays available at positions of need too

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 02:04 AM by rpr52121.)

Not sure how many of these have Quincy highlights not shown on prior highlight reel. But they are to find out.

Not sure how many of these have Quincy highlights not shown on prior highlight reel. But they are to find out.

(04-26-2019, 11:57 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:31 PM)Dimson Wrote: Thank you for posting that. He really lays the wood. Nothing wrong with that.
(04-26-2019, 11:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He looks like he tries to kill people when he tackles them. I like it. Could be a roamer, in the box SS substitute. Will also be a human torpedo on special teams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
He better save all his money, he lowers the crown of his helmet on every hit. He won't last 1 season before the NFL bans him. Almost every one of his highlights would have been flagged.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. The way the refs have been lately and watching him hit, I keep thinking... "that's a flag" ..."that's another flat." ..."that's one too."

There's absolutely no way he would not have been there in round five. We totally whiffed with three bigtime WRs still on the board in Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon and Riley Ridley along with Will Grier and possibly a starting-caliber FS.

At any rate, he is fast, can cover and can hit much like Telvin Smith, Myles Jack and Josh Allen. I see Josh Allen moving into the SAM spot with Quincy Williams learning to backup all three starters along with taking lead roles on Special Teams. 
'02

Blair Brown type of pick. Head scratcher for me though.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 04:58 AM by Bullseye.)

I like what I saw on the clips, but a curious pick nonetheless.

Even more curious was Caldwell's statement that Williams visited with a lot of teams with picks in the 4th round.

I re-examined walterfootball.com's prospects visits tracker, and not one mention of Quincy Williams visiting any team, including the Jaguars.

Of course, it's entirely possible that walterfootball doesn't know every visit or the activities of every team.

At about the 3 min mark, Williams said he had about 9 to 11 visits.

https://www.jaguars.com/video/quincy-wil...rence-call

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Before the draft, I never would have thought we would be able to pick J Allen, J Taylor, AND Q Williams!!! What a haul!!!

Oh, wait...

Seriously, though, I sense there's something going on with Telvin Smith. Because Q Williams, being a speedy, undersized linebacker, sure looks like a clone.

(04-27-2019, 06:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Before the draft, I never would have thought we would be able to pick J Allen, J Taylor, AND Q Williams!!!   What a haul!!!  

Oh, wait...

Seriously, though, I sense there's something going on with Telvin Smith.   Because Q Williams, being a speedy, undersized linebacker, sure looks like a clone.

Caldwell denied that selection had anything to do with Telvin Smith's absence from the OTAs.

But it makes you wonder.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-27-2019, 06:27 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 06:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Before the draft, I never would have thought we would be able to pick J Allen, J Taylor, AND Q Williams!!!   What a haul!!!  

Oh, wait...

Seriously, though, I sense there's something going on with Telvin Smith.   Because Q Williams, being a speedy, undersized linebacker, sure looks like a clone.

Caldwell denied that selection had anything to do with Telvin Smith's absence from the OTAs.

But it makes you wonder.
He seems like a solid back up/situational guy for WLB. SLB, and safety. Honestly I could see him plugging holes as a MLB too. I don't think the pick has very much to do with Telvin.

I am not too high on the pick really because I really doubt that he would be picked up in the 4th by another team, so I feel as though we have sort of wasted a pick.

I find it silly to announce that you are going with BPA, do it for the first 2-3 picks and then you take a complete flyer on a guy who looks like a career special teamer in the 3rd round... He might beat the odds and be a rotational guy, but man, with guys like Butler on the board, its hard to see why Caldwell would go against the BPA-Philosophy.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 06:52 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Just mind boggling when we could of got a starter at FS with this pick

I wish Tom woul of trumped Dave on this

(04-27-2019, 06:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Just mind boggling when we could of got a starter at FS with this pick

Why don't you say, "I wish Dave would have talked Tom out of this."   

It was TC who got so frosted about Telvin not being at the OTA.  Maybe TC forced this pick.