Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post-combine Draft

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 10:13 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-12-2022, 09:25 PM)Upper Wrote: It was only a 36" vertical. He's very small and only moderately explosive. And as with everyone we need to shave a little time off the 40 since Indy was such a fast track.

I wouldn't haaate him at 33, but he's not going to be close to BAP there.

[Image: FNA7DeyWQAwwnnf?format=png&name=900x900]

My bad, it was 36", but jump balls and contested catches aren't his thing anyway. He uses speed and sound route running to make plays. As far as it being a "fast track" that is a myth. It is indoors and it is solid ground 365 days a year. The track never changes. Athletes do. He's a 4.43/40 runner. Don't read anything more into that. To me, he's very comparable to a young Antonio Brown, minus the bipolar disorder. Brown is the same size and had a slower 40 time and a smaller vertical.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-12-2022, 10:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: My bad, it was 36", but jump balls and contested catches aren't his thing anyway. He uses speed and sound route running to make plays. As far as it being a "fast track" that is a myth. It is indoors and it is solid ground 365 days a year. The track never changes. Athletes do. He's a 4.43/40 runner. Don't read anything more into that. To me, he's very comparable to a young Antonio Brown, minus the bipolar disorder. Brown is the same size and had a slower 40 time and a smaller vertical.

They changed the turf July 2020, shortly after the combine. Then they didn't have a 2021 combine because of covid. This is the first combine since the new turf, and it wound up being much faster than the turf that every other combine has had.

(03-12-2022, 10:16 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 10:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: My bad, it was 36", but jump balls and contested catches aren't his thing anyway. He uses speed and sound route running to make plays. As far as it being a "fast track" that is a myth. It is indoors and it is solid ground 365 days a year. The track never changes. Athletes do. He's a 4.43/40 runner. Don't read anything more into that. To me, he's very comparable to a young Antonio Brown, minus the bipolar disorder. Brown is the same size and had a slower 40 time and a smaller vertical.

They changed the turf July 2020, shortly after the combine. Then they didn't have a 2021 combine because of covid. This is the first combine since the new turf, and it wound up being much faster than the turf that every other combine has had.

Turf is turf. It's all the same. Changing it just made it look better. There's no such thing as a "fast track." It's just a myth. Athletes are just getting faster.

(03-08-2022, 02:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 11:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I wonder what Thibs was thinking.

Why bother to run the 40 but not do drills, especially if there is talk about him taking plays off that is possibly hurting his stock?

If somehow he twisted/sprained an ankle, that's be one thing, but in the absence of some injury, why wouldn't he do the drills?
Granted' it's not uncommon for players to skip parts of workouts if they are a top prospect, but considering the top overall pick spot is wide openm not doing the other drills just doesn't seem to make sense.

I don;t think it's a matter of conditioning, because there's time between the 40 yard dash and the other drills.

He seems tremendously talented, but enigmatic.

I get the feeling that this kid sees himself in a different light than those from the outside. He seems to have no filter and he says and does things "off script" that rub a lot of people the wrong way. He does things on a whim and it makes him very difficult to read. You got to weigh the physical ability against the cons of bringing this type of personality into your locker room. After I saw Hutchinson's interview and saw how down to Earth he was. The tie between him and Thibodeaux was broken for me. Hutchinson doesn't seem to bring the same baggage to the locker room that Thibodeaux might bring, but he has just as much on the field ability.

I get more of a "I've arrived" vibe from him.  That's usually the beginning of the end.

(03-13-2022, 01:06 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 02:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I get the feeling that this kid sees himself in a different light than those from the outside. He seems to have no filter and he says and does things "off script" that rub a lot of people the wrong way. He does things on a whim and it makes him very difficult to read. You got to weigh the physical ability against the cons of bringing this type of personality into your locker room. After I saw Hutchinson's interview and saw how down to Earth he was. The tie between him and Thibodeaux was broken for me. Hutchinson doesn't seem to bring the same baggage to the locker room that Thibodeaux might bring, but he has just as much on the field ability.

I get more of a "I've arrived" vibe from him.  That's usually the beginning of the end.

True.

Athletes are notorious for being humble and self aware, good call. In fact, I can't even remember the last athlete that thought well of himself that succeeded. Never happens. Might as well just take him off the board completely.

(03-13-2022, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote: Athletes are notorious for being humble and self aware, good call. In fact, I can't even remember the last athlete that thought well of himself that succeeded. Never happens. Might as well just take him off the board completely.

Most are like that after they get into the league, not before.  Definitely a red flag, he ain't Prime

I agree it’s a red flag. Even Ramsey wasn’t acting like this until he got some experience in the league.

(03-13-2022, 11:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote: Athletes are notorious for being humble and self aware, good call. In fact, I can't even remember the last athlete that thought well of himself that succeeded. Never happens. Might as well just take him off the board completely.

Most are like that after they get into the league, not before.  Definitely a red flag, he ain't Prime

Lmao, thanks for telling me you've never watched a college football game.

(03-13-2022, 11:53 AM)Newton Wrote: I agree it’s a red flag. Even Ramsey wasn’t acting like this until he got some experience in the league.

Yup

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022, 12:53 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-13-2022, 11:53 AM)Newton Wrote: I agree it’s a red flag. Even Ramsey wasn’t acting like this until he got some experience in the league.

And Thibs isn't acting like Ramsey [BLEEP].

I hope y'all haven't seen the stuff about Hutch's journal. Lots of braggadocious stuff in there I would hate for y'all to red flag him.

(03-13-2022, 12:52 PM)Upper Wrote:

And Thibs isn't acting like Ramsey [BLEEP].

I hope y'all haven't seen the stuff about Hutch's journal. Lots of braggadocious stuff in there I would hate for y'all to red flag him.

What did he say?  He's going to be DE 1?

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022, 01:09 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Oh no, full of himself and braggy! And he has a revenge list! Remove him from our board completely!

“I just DM’d Mel Kiper.”

Hutchinson was recalling a spring day in Ann Arbor in his sophomore year, May 2020. He was 19. He was full of himself, as many 19-year-olds are. He was all into his football life, coming off a nice sophomore season on the defensive line for the Wolverines.

So he went on Instagram. He found Mel Kiper’s account. He started tapping.

“I am going to be the number 1 DE on your Big Board, mark my words.”

He never got a response, this braggy kid from Michigan. He didn’t care. The message was sent.

“Now I gotta send a couple more direct messages to some other people,” Hutchinson said.

(03-13-2022, 01:08 PM)Upper Wrote: Oh no, full of himself and braggy! And he has a revenge list! Remove him from our board completely!

“I just DM’d Mel Kiper.”

Hutchinson was recalling a spring day in Ann Arbor in his sophomore year, May 2020. He was 19. He was full of himself, as many 19-year-olds are. He was all into his football life, coming off a nice sophomore season on the defensive line for the Wolverines.

He never got a response, this braggy kid from Michigan. He didn’t care. The message was sent.

“Now I gotta send a couple more direct messages to some other people,” Hutchinson said.

So he's said he's going to be number 1 DE.  That was before his monster year.  It looks like he was right.  How in the hell did one get his personal journal?

(03-13-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 01:08 PM)Upper Wrote: Oh no, full of himself and braggy! And he has a revenge list! Remove him from our board completely!

“I just DM’d Mel Kiper.”

So he's said he's going to be number 1 DE.  That was before his monster year.  It looks like he was right.  How in the hell did one get his personal journal?

They did a whole big segment on it during the combine. There is a lot more in it that wasn't in MMQB too. There is really no way to say that what Hutch wrote is less of a red flag than what Thibs has said. They either both are or both aren't.

(03-13-2022, 01:34 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So he's said he's going to be number 1 DE.  That was before his monster year.  It looks like he was right.  How in the hell did one get his personal journal?

They did a whole big segment on it during the combine. There is a lot more in it that wasn't in MMQB too. There is really no way to say that what Hutch wrote is less of a red flag than what Thibs has said. They either both are or both aren't.
We will see come draft day

“I just DM’d Mel Kiper.”

That is confidence. With Thibodeaux, it comes off as privileged arrogance. There is a distinct difference in their delivery. It's like the difference between listening to Patrick Mahomes talk about himself and Aaron Rodgers. Mahomes exudes confidence, but in a relatable way. Rodgers has a smugness about him that makes you wanna punch him in the face.

“I just DM’d Mel Kiper.”

You don't see a difference between that and Thibs in interviews?    I prefer Thibs highlights to Hutch's as I've said previously, but the dude is a [BLEEP] as far as I'm concerned and that concerns me once the money gets deposited.

I have not found anything that Thibs has said to be a red flag, no.