Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(04-30-2024, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 09:36 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I really think had we taken Bortolini in the 4th, the belly aching would be minimal if any at all.  I'll be watching his career closely.  Perhaps he stinks and Baalke identified it correctly and passed.  We'll see.

I agree. 

Last year it was Torrence and D.Jones being passed up.
This year it's Bortolini and a couple of other interior guys. 

Gotta see how it pans out, but worth watching. 

Personally I think Cleveland and Morse will make a significant impact for our line after an offseason to work together. 
And there is still time to bolster depth behind them.

X 3.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 08:41 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/fball_insights/statu...915L-t18Xg

Jefferson. Woof.

(04-30-2024, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/fball_insights/statu...915L-t18Xg

Jefferson. Woof.

Due to my resolution to be more positive .... all I can say is at least he is on the chart?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Still crazy we took Smith over Jenkins.

We drafted 1 OL guy and got 1 udfa OL guy

Would like to see some more

(04-30-2024, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/fball_insights/statu...915L-t18Xg

Jefferson. Woof.

Bottom left is good right? Lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 10:23 PM by cland. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-30-2024, 09:51 PM)Dimson Wrote:

Jefferson. Woof.

Bottom left is good right? Lol

Yep, it gives your LBs and Safeties more tackles.

I do think that chart has some magical PFF sprinkles on it. No DT wins 90+% of his pass rush match-ups, let alone 4 in one draft.

Jefferson. Woof.

Yeah. Wasn't a fan of this selection. And I was well aware of the knock against Maason regarding his run stopping. He would react late in some matches I've seen. He needs to clean that up quick.

(04-30-2024, 10:28 PM)Jagulars Wrote:

Jefferson. Woof.

Yeah. Wasn't a fan of this selection. And I was well aware of the knock against Maason regarding his run stopping. He would react late in some matches I've seen. He needs to clean that up quick.

Probably a recognition issue. Now that he doesn't have to spend all that time studying he can concentrate on recognizing faster.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Not jags or Trent related, but while discussing draft grades, Nick Wright made a good point yesterday regarding howie Roseman and every year people think Philly win the draft purely because he drafts closest to the media’s big board.

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/178...prTkURInFQ

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2024, 11:28 AM by Jags32250.)

(04-29-2024, 11:15 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: B-. Didnt like the K and RB picks.  Should have drafted for O line depth in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

So you want to draft depth rather than higher graded players with starter grades in those high picks???

(04-30-2024, 10:07 PM)cland Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 09:51 PM)Dimson Wrote: Bottom left is good right? Lol

Yep, it gives your LBs and Safeties more tackles.

I do think that chart has some magical PFF sprinkles on it.  No DT wins 90+% of his pass rush match-ups, let alone 4 in one draft.
Also, level of competition can significantly alter these ratings in college. NFL charts give a better picture of the player as competition is much closer to even across the league.

(05-01-2024, 05:46 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: Not jags or Trent related, but while discussing draft grades, Nick Wright made a good point yesterday regarding howie Roseman and every year people think Philly win the draft purely because he drafts closest to the media’s big board.

I made the same comment.  And yet would you trade the last 4 jags drafts for the last 4 eagles drafts straight up?

(05-01-2024, 12:03 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 05:46 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: Not jags or Trent related, but while discussing draft grades, Nick Wright made a good point yesterday regarding howie Roseman and every year people think Philly win the draft purely because he drafts closest to the media’s big board.

I made the same comment.  And yet would you trade the last 4 jags drafts for the last 4 eagles drafts straight up?

And what, if anything, does it say about the relative accuracy of the consensus big board vs. many teams’ boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(04-30-2024, 09:36 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I really think had we taken Bortolini in the 4th, the belly aching would be minimal if any at all.  I'll be watching his career closely.  Perhaps he stinks and Baalke identified it correctly and passed.  We'll see.

Very true. In a darft that was so heavy with IOL talent to not take a one seems like you failed at the whole "value" part of draft strat.

That's my biggest issue - loaded darft means you get steals much later than they would go in normal years - next year if the class isn't deep at C or G, you gotta jump early and overdraft guys if you want to address those needs. Double dipping on the Dline just seemed....wasteful.

(04-30-2024, 03:53 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Let’s not forget that Mac Jones and Ezra Cleveland should be included as part of this years picks.

no

Mac's contract is done at the end of the year. If we darfted a QB in the 6th he would be cheaper and under contract for multiple seasons. 

Ezra's contract elapsed in March. We prepaid for the test-drive.

Same with Ridley. Unlike Ezra, we did not make Ridley an offseason acquisition.

(05-01-2024, 12:16 PM)Mikey Wrote:

Very true. In a darft that was so heavy with IOL talent to not take a one seems like you failed at the whole "value" part of draft strat.

That's my biggest issue - loaded darft means you get steals much later than they would go in normal years - next year if the class isn't deep at C or G, you gotta jump early and overdraft guys if you want to address those needs. Double dipping on the Dline just seemed....wasteful.

Yeah - they better hope they can turn Jefferson into a rotational NT that doesn't suck by 2025 - or that pick may be scrutinized for a long time to come. 

I get why they went after a DT with potential to play the nose, but the IOL value available at the time seems to belie the wisdom of the pick. 

I'm still watching the Brenton Strange pick the same way. Hope he comes on this year, even if is just improved blocking in the run game to spring some chunk plays and a few splashy receptions.

(04-30-2024, 06:21 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 02:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Exactly right, we went into this draft needing 3 offensive linemen in the long term. We came out still needing 2 offensive linemen in the long term.

You don't ever come out of a draft knowing you won't need more of anything.

Hard to address need when you don't attempt to address need, though.

(05-01-2024, 12:29 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 03:53 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Let’s not forget that Mac Jones and Ezra Cleveland should be included as part of this years picks.

no

Mac's contract is done at the end of the year. If we darfted a QB in the 6th he would be cheaper and under contract for multiple seasons. 

Ezra's contract elapsed in March. We prepaid for the test-drive.

Same with Ridley. Unlike Ezra, we did not make Ridley an offseason acquisition.
I’m aware of that, but they were still assets added with this years draft capital and should be considered in the overall grade, for better or worse.

(04-30-2024, 06:46 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I give it a B/B-, but light years better than last year's. 

I don't like that a guard or center wasn't drafted, especially picking Jefferson over some good prospects. 

I like Maason Smith pick. He's boom or bust. He has all the measurables and was peaking toward the end of last season. 

I also love the two scheme-specific corners. Both seem very competitive and talented, with Jones likely starting at nickel or outside.

Baalke's best work was fleecing Minnesota and still grabbing Thomas. I read the rumor that they had a mandate from Trevor's camp to get him another weapon. I also think Baalke also faced a lot of pressure from the new LSU defensive gurus to draft Maason Smith. If either of these are true, he pleased all stakeholders.

I strongly disliked the assistant GM's comments to Jags reporter Mia while round 5 or 6 was ongoing. He said no players on their board remained, and at that point the scouts start making arguments for players. He chuckled and said, "this is how they earn their money" or something to that effect. They should rank every potential draftable player and create a longer board so arguments for/against players don't need to occur on the clock. They treat the bottom 2-3 rounds as if it's throwing darts at the wall, with only special teams players remaining. It felt like Trent, Doug, and other top brass went to dinner after the 5th round. I wouldn't be asleep at the wheel leaving it to scouts to sift for hidden gems. If you make six figures, you should be supervising the whole time. It's just one more night, and it's kind of a big deal. I get it that they want to throw the hard-working scouts a bone and feel like they're part of the decisionmaking. But no, they're scouts. They can make the calls when/if they get promoted. Until then, their role is to provide reports and insights to the decisionmakers.

This is the first I heard of that last bit. You're right, if you're at the point where every draftable guy (per your board) is gone, trade the picks away for future value! If you are just evaluating the top 150- 175 guys and then leaving the rest to grab bag, there's no way you can properly value late draft trades, you potentially overpay to get guys as your board dwindles to nobody left, or you let the more ambitious teams get advantage over you. 

I got that feeling about our entire draft after day 1 - we sat on our hands and watched everyone else move and shift and fit players to picks and we just waited for our clock to start and pointed in the vicinity of the top of our board each time. It was lazy. Even if you don't scout EVERYONE in the top 250-300, you should have your eye on a handful of guys for each round and for UDFA.

(05-01-2024, 12:35 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-30-2024, 06:21 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: You don't ever come out of a draft knowing you won't need more of anything.

Hard to address need when you don't attempt to address need, though.

Needs change from year to year.  Very little is absolutely projectable.