Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

(05-02-2024, 06:35 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 06:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They’re called historical novels; fictional events set in accurately portrayed historical times. Have you ever read any James Michener books?

Nope, but I've seen every episode of Magnum, PI so I feel like an expert.

Mustache game must be on point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-02-2024, 11:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 06:35 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Nope, but I've seen every episode of Magnum, PI so I feel like an expert.

Mustache game must be on point.

That stache should go in the Smithsonian  Laughing

[Image: Sf0dJ.jpg]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2024, 02:44 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-24-2024, 02:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [Image: Sf0dJ.jpg]

I saw about 5 minutes of it a few years ago.  Those people lead the most boring lives one can imagine.   

But you have to give them credit- they've made a lot of money doing what they do.

(05-24-2024, 02:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 02:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [Image: Sf0dJ.jpg]

I saw about 5 minutes of it a few years ago.  Those people lead the most boring lives one can imagine.   

But you have to give them credit- they've made a lot of money doing what they do.

They're attention starved with too much money.

Just saw a preview for the new show called Franklin on Apple+

Michael Douglas as Benjamin Franklin.. Looks pretty interesting.

Started watching Baby Reindeer. Stopped around the 4th or 5th episode. Just couldn't keep up with the weirdness. The man's sexuality bounced around more than Greta or Taylor Swift in a private jet across the globe. No thanks.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-24-2024, 08:53 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just saw a preview for the new show called Franklin on Apple+

We saw it. Very entertaining. I thought Douglas was a strange choice to play Franklin but he pulls it off pretty well. It plays a little loose with historical accuracy in some cases for dramatic purposes but that’s ok.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-25-2024, 06:50 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 08:53 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just saw a preview for the new show called Franklin on Apple+

We saw it. Very entertaining. I thought Douglas was a strange choice to play Franklin but he pulls it off pretty well. It plays a little loose with historical accuracy in some cases for dramatic purposes but that’s ok.

That's what I was wondering about, the accuracy..

(05-25-2024, 03:21 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 06:50 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: We saw it. Very entertaining. I thought Douglas was a strange choice to play Franklin but he pulls it off pretty well. It plays a little loose with historical accuracy in some cases for dramatic purposes but that’s ok.

That's what I was wondering about, the accuracy..

I had the opportunity to see the Ken Burns documentary a couple months before we watched this. The documentary didn’t focus exclusively on the trip to France but I think the Apple show got the broad strokes right including Franklin’s relationship with John Adams and his general approach to dealing with the French. I think some aspects of his relationship with his grandson and the cloak and dagger stuff with the English spies were dramatically altered or enhanced. It’s definitely worth watching IMO.

(05-25-2024, 05:32 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 03:21 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's what I was wondering about, the accuracy..

I had the opportunity to see the Ken Burns documentary a couple months before we watched this. The documentary didn’t focus exclusively on the trip to France but I think the Apple show got the broad strokes right including Franklin’s relationship with John Adams and his general approach to dealing with the French. I think some aspects of his relationship with his grandson and the cloak and dagger stuff with the English spies were dramatically altered or enhanced. It’s definitely worth watching IMO.

Sold..

Gracias..

(05-25-2024, 05:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 05:32 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I had the opportunity to see the Ken Burns documentary a couple months before we watched this. The documentary didn’t focus exclusively on the trip to France but I think the Apple show got the broad strokes right including Franklin’s relationship with John Adams and his general approach to dealing with the French. I think some aspects of his relationship with his grandson and the cloak and dagger stuff with the English spies were dramatically altered or enhanced. It’s definitely worth watching IMO.

Sold..

Gracias..

Oh, I neglected to mention that the Apple series is based exclusively on his time in France and his attempt to get an alliance going. It doesn't really focus on any other aspects of his life.

(05-25-2024, 06:27 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 05:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sold..

Gracias..

Oh, I neglected to mention that the Apple series is based exclusively on his time in France and his attempt to get an alliance going. It doesn't really focus on any other aspects of his life.

Well, that can be a good thing in terms of the series having somewhat of a biographical overtone. Unless you've specifically studied Franklin outside of the ordinary ho-hum senior year history class, I imagine there's much more involvement than the small facts we were taught.

This actually makes it more appealing!!

Just watched the first episode of Franklin..

So impressed!!

(05-24-2024, 02:58 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 02:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I saw about 5 minutes of it a few years ago.  Those people lead the most boring lives one can imagine.   

They're attention starved with too much money.

I think it's similar to what Hugh Hefner did.  He wanted to lead a certain type of life, but he had no way to pay for it.  So he monetized it.  The money he made portraying his lifestyle allowed him to live that lifestyle.  The Kardashians have done a similar thing.  They've made hundreds of millions of dollars by filming their lives.  It's a great scam, and you have to give them some credit.

(05-30-2024, 09:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 02:58 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: They're attention starved with too much money.

I think it's similar to what Hugh Hefner did.  He wanted to lead a certain type of life, but he had no way to pay for it.  So he monetized it.  The money he made portraying his lifestyle allowed him to live that lifestyle.  The Kardashians have done a similar thing.  They've made hundreds of millions of dollars by filming their lives.  It's a great scam, and you have to give them some credit.

Eh.

If your dad was on the OJ trial and you made a sex tape that your own mom produced you could also have that scam going.

(Yesterday, 09:49 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 09:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think it's similar to what Hugh Hefner did.  He wanted to lead a certain type of life, but he had no way to pay for it.  So he monetized it.  The money he made portraying his lifestyle allowed him to live that lifestyle.  The Kardashians have done a similar thing.  They've made hundreds of millions of dollars by filming their lives.  It's a great scam, and you have to give them some credit.

Eh.

If your dad was on the OJ trial and you made a sex tape that your own mom produced you could also have that scam going.

All I'm saying is, while you look down on these people, they don't give a [BLEEP] what you think.  They're laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm going to be watching the last episode of Franklin later on.. Absolutely amazing series!! A must check out!!

Michael Douglas knocked it out of the park!!

I always thought his best movie was Romancing the Stone lolol

Absolutely wonderful though.. I would love to see more series like this. I absolutely love historical pieces.

(Yesterday, 11:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:49 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Eh.

All I'm saying is, while you look down on these people, they don't give a [BLEEP] what you think.  They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Just like everyone else in this morally bankrupt country.