Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

QBs getting their first contract aren’t really paid for “what have you done” (Mahomes and Burrow being the exceptions). They’re paid for talent, character, and leadership. Trevor clearly meets those criteria. And if Dak and Cousins can make bank, he certainly deserves it. QBs are a breed, and expense, of their own. He’s going to get $50 million per. And the Jags should be glad to pay it. He’s competent and has the traits to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-14-2024, 02:28 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: QBs getting their first contract aren’t really paid for “what have you done” (Mahomes and Burrow being the exceptions). They’re paid for talent, character, and leadership. Trevor clearly meets those criteria. And if Dak and Cousins can make bank, he certainly deserves it. QBs are a breed, and expense, of their own. He’s going to get $50 million per. And the Jags should be glad to pay it. He’s competent and has the traits to be great.

Tell that [BLEEP] to every QB that was a great guy and leader that hasn't lived up to expectations.. they get a [BLEEP] contract.

Just go ahead and accept the reality that TL is getting paid a boatload of money.

Only thing that would stop that is if they wait till next year and he has a horrible 2024 and or significant injury.
(knocking on wood)

When he gets paid, half of the nat'l media and tons of yocal idiots will whine about him being overpaid.

Doesn't matter.

The NFL is always talent starved for good QBs and his upside and potential are highly coveted by many teams that don't have someone like that. So the market drives his price up.

Derek Carr didn't "deserve" his 2nd deal with the raiders. He was grossly overpaid for what he was. But that was the market. Is what it is.

The team could save a bit doing it now instead of next year, but I don't see that as a huge deal either way. If he gets paid now and performs at an elite or near elite level, they'll have to rework the deal in 3 years to pay him more anyway. Fans were freaking out about our cap space 4 months ago and now it's fine. Our FO is managing our cap pretty well IMO.

(05-14-2024, 03:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just go ahead and accept the reality that TL is getting paid a boatload of money.

Only thing that would stop that is if they wait till next year and he has a horrible 2024 and or significant injury.
(knocking on wood)

When he gets paid, half of the nat'l media and tons of yocal idiots will whine about him being overpaid.

Doesn't matter.

The NFL is always talent starved for good QBs and his upside and potential are highly coveted by many teams that don't have someone like that. So the market drives his price up.

Derek Carr didn't "deserve" his 2nd deal with the raiders. He was grossly overpaid for what he was. But that was the market. Is what it is.

The team could save a bit doing it now instead of next year, but I don't see that as a huge deal either way. If he gets paid now and performs at an elite or near elite level, they'll have to rework the deal in 3 years to pay him more anyway. Fans were freaking out about our cap space 4 months ago and now it's fine. Our FO is managing our cap pretty well IMO.

TL is definitely getting paid.. and it's not our money lol so I never understood the consternation over it.

But it's not cause he's a great guy.. it's cause he's a top QB with every measurable and unmeasurable you could want.

Nah according to wolfie mac Jones is our next saviour
We should pay him instead

(05-14-2024, 03:36 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 03:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just go ahead and accept the reality that TL is getting paid a boatload of money.

(knocking on wood)

Doesn't matter.

TL is definitely getting paid.. and it's not our money lol so I never understood the consternation over it.

But it's not cause he's a great guy.. it's cause he's a top QB with every measurable and unmeasurable you could want.

The "money" is opportunity cost, the consternation comes from where and how well the team spends it.  Paying someone $53M/yr a year to someone who shows "potential" that doesn't show up on the field is a sunk cost, and it surely affects your team in a negative way.  As Darrell Royal says, "Potential means you ain't done it yet."  In today's NFL, some teams have to take that risk, but it's still a gamble.

(05-14-2024, 02:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 02:28 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: QBs getting their first contract aren’t really paid for “what have you done” (Mahomes and Burrow being the exceptions). They’re paid for talent, character, and leadership. Trevor clearly meets those criteria. And if Dak and Cousins can make bank, he certainly deserves it. QBs are a breed, and expense, of their own. He’s going to get $50 million per. And the Jags should be glad to pay it. He’s competent and has the traits to be great.

Tell that [BLEEP] to every QB that was a great guy and leader that hasn't lived up to expectations.. they get a [BLEEP] contract.

Are you reading impaired? Trevor may not have lived up to some people’s hopes. But his failure to meet expectations is on a horrendous OLine and front office. As I clearly stated, he has talent, character, leadership, and the traits to be great.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-14-2024, 06:23 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 03:36 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: TL is definitely getting paid.. and it's not our money lol so I never understood the consternation over it.

The "money" is opportunity cost, the consternation comes from where and how well the team spends it.  Paying someone $53M/yr a year to someone who shows "potential" that doesn't show up on the field is a sunk cost, and it surely affects your team in a negative way.  As Darrell Royal says, "Potential means you ain't done it yet."  In today's NFL, some teams have to take that risk, but it's still a gamble.

More teams than not take that risk, while others still don't even have opportunity to take it but would. 

Also trying to paint Lawrence as someone with merely potential is horse [BLEEP]. 

He has produced  - and he's shown more potential than most other tier 2 QBs hoping to ascend toward elite.

(05-14-2024, 08:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 06:23 PM)cland Wrote: The "money" is opportunity cost, the consternation comes from where and how well the team spends it.  Paying someone $53M/yr a year to someone who shows "potential" that doesn't show up on the field is a sunk cost, and it surely affects your team in a negative way.  As Darrell Royal says, "Potential means you ain't done it yet."  In today's NFL, some teams have to take that risk, but it's still a gamble.

More teams than not take that risk, while others still don't even have opportunity to take it but would. 

Also trying to paint Lawrence as someone with merely potential is horse [BLEEP]. 

He has produced  - and he's shown more potential than most other tier 2 QBs hoping to ascend toward elite.

I agree, but time and ~$212 million dollars will tell if the risk was worth taking.

(05-14-2024, 09:08 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 08:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: More teams than not take that risk, while others still don't even have opportunity to take it but would. 

I agree, but time and ~$212 million dollars will tell if the risk was worth taking.

Doesn't matter 
It's a risk worth taking 10 times out of 10

Pay him whatever he wants. He is this Franchise.