Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Lineman Watch - 2024

Could we give up our 1st for some 2nd or 3rd picks?
I'm warming to the idea

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2023, 05:34 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Could we give up our 1st for some 2nd or 3rd picks?
I'm warming to the idea

It's possible. If we're in that 27th - 32nd range I wouldn't mind them trading back at all for a pair of selections. I feel like we would not only be able to find better depth and starting potential for both sides of the line but it also in the long term saves you more money with the salary cap.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-31-2023, 05:34 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Could we give up our 1st for some 2nd or 3rd picks?
I'm warming to the idea

If you have a roster that is solid, options open up everywhere. You may also be able to trade picks this year for next, and get higher value in the long run. And again, move those picks around to keep adding value.

EVERYTHING changes when you are not desperate. Gosh, it's so good to be in that situation for a change.

So, is Van Pran the top Center prospect at this time?

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2023, 02:01 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-01-2023, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So, is Van Plan the top Center prospect at this time?

It's the common belief at the moment but there's also been some traffic picking-up for Zach Frazier out of West Virigina. Neither one of those guys have a 1st RD grade on them though. 

Unless things drastically change it seems like Van Pran is usually ranked around the 50th overall prospect with guys like Frazier and Michigan's Nugent rounding out the top 125th - 150th overall marks.

So, you're either going to overdraft potentially for a guy like Van Pran or you're going to have to wait and see with Frazier and Nugent at the moment. 

Guard wise it looks like some folks are not sold on Cooper Bebee as much as others and that Washington's Troy Fautanu makes a strong case for top guard of this class.

Georgia's Tate Ratledge is moving up on some boards. Good chance he leap frogs Ohio St's pair of guards in Jackson and Jones. I watch a lot of Georgia's better ranked opponent games.

I can tell you that Van Pran and Ratledge are solid prospects but I still want to see how they finish out the year once the play-off games and bowl games take shape.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'm warming to the idea

With this question in mind. Ran a simulator for fun with trade downs. 

Pick 53. Jack Sawyer - EDGE - Ohio St.
Pick 60. Brandon Dorlus - EDGE - Oregon
Pick 66. Zach Frazier - Center - West Viriginia
Pick 86. Javion Cohen - Guard - Miami (FL)
Pick 91. James Williams - Safety - Miami (FL)
Pick 188. McCallan Castles - Tightend - Tennessee
Pick 219. Trikweze Bridges - Cornerback - Oregon

Picked-up a 2025 2nd RD pick from Cleveland in the trade down process as well.

(11-01-2023, 01:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So, is Van Plan the top Center prospect at this time?

It's the common belief at the moment but there's also been some traffic picking-up for Zach Frazier out of West Virigina. Neither one of those guys have a 1st RD grade on them though. 

Unless things drastically change it seems like Van Pran is usually ranked around the 50th overall prospect with guys like Frazier and Michigan's Nugent rounding out the top 125th - 150th overall marks.

So, you're either going to overdraft potentially for a guy like Van Pran or you're going to have to wait and see with Frazier and Nugent at the moment. 

Guard wise it looks like some folks are not sold on Cooper Bebee as much as others and that Washington's Troy Fautanu makes a strong case for top guard of this class.

Georgia's Tate Ratledge is moving up on some boards. Good chance he leap frogs Ohio St's pair of guards in Jackson and Jones. I watch a lot of Georgia's better ranked opponent games.

I can tell you that Van Pran and Ratledge are solid prospects but I still want to see how they finish out the year once the play-off games and bowl games take shape.
Graham Barton from Duke is another possibility. He plays left tackle currently, however some (Draft Buzz for e.g.) project him as a center- a position he played his first season at Duke. His height (6'5") may be a liability at center, however he does have several desirable traits for the position. His position flexibility is also a plus. Trading down might be the best option as you have said. The decision will also be based on the progress Travon Walker makes this season. If it is not what they were expecting when he was drafted #1, the Jaguars will need to consider keeping that pick and using it on a true pass rusher. A guy I have my eyes on is Bralen Trice from Washington. He has moved up draft boards significantly and may not be available, but there are about 6 Edge rushers currently considered potential first rounders. The Jags could still take a center in rounds 2 or 3, depending on what happens with Ridley.

(11-02-2023, 03:36 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 01:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It's the common belief at the moment but there's also been some traffic picking-up for Zach Frazier out of West Virigina. Neither one of those guys have a 1st RD grade on them though. 

Graham Barton from Duke is another possibility. He plays left tackle currently, however some (Draft Buzz for e.g.) project him as a center- a position he played his first season at Duke. His height (6'5") may be a liability at center, however he does have several desirable traits for the position. His position flexibility is also a plus. Trading down might be the best option as you have said. The decision will also be based on the progress Travon Walker makes this season. If it is not what they were expecting when he was drafted #1, the Jaguars will need to consider keeping that pick and using it on a true pass rusher. A guy I have my eyes on is Bralen Trice from Washington. He has moved up draft boards significantly and may not be available, but there are about 6 Edge rushers currently considered potential first rounders. The Jags could still take a center in rounds 2 or 3, depending on what happens with Ridley.

He's a good prospect. Not a fan of moving him back to Center though if it's been that long since he's played it. I honestly feel like we're in the market now for a Center because of that kind of decision making with the coaching staff. 

As much hell as Fortner catches over in the main forum, he was primarily a guard during his first four years with Kentucky. He had his final year at Center for them. Very raw and inexperienced coming out of college and it's showing this year, just like last year, that, he may not be able to hold it down physically at this level. 

I am with you though on the Walker comment. How he plays out the rest of the way this year and into the post season will undoubtedly determine how high an edge rusher is on their board going into next spring. It honestly seems like it will have the better value anyway with where we're currently projected to select in each round. 

Our needs should be addressed early though. They took Harrison at RT out of necessity. They'll take a Center or Guard early out of necessity. I personally would be pounding the table though if Washington's Troy Fautanu is available. Especially if they keep pushing up the rankings and make some noise in a bowl game.

(11-01-2023, 04:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
I'm warming to the idea

With this question in mind. Ran a simulator for fun with trade downs. 

Ridleys situation is also interesting,  baalke may have to work some magic to get us some picks later on
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Beau...L-Arkansas
I quite like  beaux limber as a prospect

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2023, 10:51 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-02-2023, 05:55 PM)StrayaJag Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 04:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: With this question in mind. Ran a simulator for fun with trade downs. 

Ridleys situation is also interesting,  baalke may have to work some magic to get us some picks later on

This is another prospect where I would be weary of drafting him to play Center with limited experience coming out of college at that position. Sounds like he's a solid right guard, similar to Fortner's bio coming out of Kentucky. 

If they take a Center in next year's draft I really want a guy that's more polished, comfortable and used to doing it for a minimum of three to four years. I think that alone gives that guy an edge coming into the NFL. 

I really like what I have seen and read on about Zach Frazier, who would enter the NFL as a three year starter at Center. Van Pran would be THE guy to get though. He's been a Center since day one for the Bulldogs and I think he's only given up 2 sacks in his career there. 

We would have to either overdraft him in my opinion on the opening night of the draft, or, try and trade down a little bit to get him in the 2nd RD early. I wouldn't mind them taking Andrew Raym, Harrison's teammate out of Oklahoma as well on day three. He's another big guy with quick feet and could be a good depth player.

(11-02-2023, 05:55 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Ridleys situation is also interesting,  baalke may have to work some magic to get us some picks later on

If we draft this kid I really hope some new board member registers as "EauxLineMatters" Wink

(11-03-2023, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 05:55 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Ridleys situation is also interesting,  baalke may have to work some magic to get us some picks later on

This is another prospect where I would be weary of drafting him to play Center with limited experience coming out of college at that position. Sounds like he's a solid right guard, similar to Fortner's bio coming out of Kentucky. 

If they take a Center in next year's draft I really want a guy that's more polished, comfortable and used to doing it for a minimum of three to four years. I think that alone gives that guy an edge coming into the NFL. 

I really like what I have seen and read on about Zach Frazier, who would enter the NFL as a three year starter at Center. Van Pran would be THE guy to get though. He's been a Center since day one for the Bulldogs and I think he's only given up 2 sacks in his career there. 

We would have to either overdraft him in my opinion on the opening night of the draft, or, try and trade down a little bit to get him in the 2nd RD early. I wouldn't mind them taking Andrew Raym, Harrison's teammate out of Oklahoma as well on day three. He's another big guy with quick feet and could be a good depth player.

I'm with you on Van Pran and if we pick late 1st he would be ideal.  I'm going to keep an eye on him the rest of the season.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2023, 01:22 PM by Caldrac.)

(11-18-2023, 10:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This is another prospect where I would be weary of drafting him to play Center with limited experience coming out of college at that position. Sounds like he's a solid right guard, similar to Fortner's bio coming out of Kentucky. 

I'm with you on Van Pran and if we pick late 1st he would be ideal.  I'm going to keep an eye on him the rest of the season.

He had one bad snap with Beck over the weekend. I think he double clutched it and then it spun out of his hands mid snap to Beck. Game was well out of reach though.

Oregon's Jackson Powers-Johnson recently shot up draft boards as well as a Center. Would have to look into him further but Oregon's had some big games this year with Nix and Irving/James at RB have made for a nice tandem.

My only concern is the style of offense they run in Oregon. I forget the exact concept or terminology but they run some kind of quick, option style offense with Nix so I don't know how well Powers-Johnson bodes in pass protection and longer developing plays.

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/1...jXuBg&s=19

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

This guard prospect does something we rarely see from our IOL - he picks up stunts.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/statu...79942?s=20

Versatility is a positive. The Packers love versatile OL. The Packers have always cross-trained their OL to play multiple positions. Zach Tom, and Elgton Jenkins, who are starters on the Packers OL now, can play all 5 spots on the OL.

A high quality OL is one where you can plug and play guys at multiple spots due to injury.

One reason I like Graham Barton at #25 is his ability to play T, G, and C. To me, he is the top OL in the draft. Joe Alt may end up being a good LT in the league, but for my money, I would want Graham Barton on my OL over Alt.

(02-20-2024, 03:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This guard prospect does something we rarely see from our IOL - he picks up stunts.

Yes, I have as I do my mock drafts seem to be able to get him in round 3 to 4
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(02-20-2024, 03:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This guard prospect does something we rarely see from our IOL - he picks up stunts.

I'd like the three Christians please. Haynes, Mahogany, and Jones.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

https://twitter.com/jimnagy_sb/status/17...Ie5OPeqkhg

Roond 4 guard?

(04-21-2024, 07:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/jimnagy_sb/status/17...Ie5OPeqkhg

Roond 4 guard?
Yes. Big fan of his for versatility and consistency. Have mocked him quite a bit alongside McCormick in RD4 for us. Might need to consider both players earlier though at 96.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk