Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Allen - Deal or No Deal (Done Deal!)

(04-11-2024, 01:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Thank you!

He should have paid Allen last off season which would have resulted in saving the Jags millions.

Then why weren't you and all the others gnashing your teeth over it now doing so back then? 

The reality is that most of the ppl losing their minds over the timing of this deal were on the fence about his value at the end of 2022. The debate here over the value of pressures despite inconsistent sack numbers has waged on for years as we watched Allen work his way toward "elite pass rusher" status. 

If you were one of the 4 or 5 fans around here that wanted to pay him last offseason - good for you. 
Most were content to wait. 
The vast majority seemed adamant about not paying him more than peanuts and many others wanted to upgrade his spot. 

The Jags added seven notable free agents that offseason, and it is likely they opted for a strategy of adding talent over extending Allen at that time. Turned out pretty well as that talent put them in the playoffs for only the second time in 12 years. 

Of course this position of yours also assumes Allen and his agent would have taken a deal commensurate with his 2022 performance at that time. Maybe they would have. Maybe they'd have bet on the player outperforming that offer.

I have been absolutely pounding the table to re-sign Allen for a couple years now. I had no problem telling all of the people who wanted to trade him before the trade deadline last year that they were [BLEEP] hats and that, that would be one of the dumbest things this team could do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Great signing. I am glad for Josh. Now that this has been done we can all switch the discussion to whether he is now overpaid/underpaid and blame Balkie for it of course.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-11-2024, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 08:41 PM)Predator Wrote: If they were basing Allen's contract off of what Burns got, then I'm surprised it was so similar because I think most people would consider Allen a tier above Burns, and typically the better player would look at a what the lesser player's contract and negotiate with the expectation of it being x percentage larger.

I think Allen was very reasonable by not demanding his contract be significantly larger than Burns.

Go look at the 2, they are almost identical.   I think Allen is better but Burns has more career sacks and Giants overpaid a bit.  I'd put Allen and Hunter as the same level player and he got more than Hunter and also more than Watt, which Allen isn't better than Watt.  

We had all the leverage, it was take our highest offer or play on the tag and risk injury and 88 mil guaranteed.  He did the smart thing and take the huge contract and it worked out for both side.  Don't be a Yannick and lose many millions

Ad hoc, ergo propter hoc.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's very uplifting for our D that J. Allen will remain a Jaguar for the forseable future. His signature allows Baalke to additionally fill other defensive needed gaps such as the DL/CB within the 2024 NFL Draft.

I won't say welcome back Josh because you never left, BUT I will say that I'm ecstatic that you will continue to dawn a Jaguar uniform while creating havoc on game days.

Duuuuuuuuuuvalllllll...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(04-11-2024, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 01:51 PM)Mikey Wrote: I certainly do believe that if we put the agreed offer on the table before FA began any agent worth his salt would have told him to wait to see how the market plays out.

Given the choice of the two, I am much happier that we chose not to risk losing Allen over Ridley. Do you not think that the FO considered the possibility of losing either guy, replacing either guy, and chose the most prudent avenue?

If we REALLY wanted Ridley, would you think that sacrificing the second round pick was too steep a price for us to make our BAFO while he was still able to negotiate exclusively? Why fart around with a tag in that case, either? Tells me they were willing to risk the loss, or were prepared to replace him via other avenues if someone chose to grossly overbid our offer. We weren't hoodwinked. We knew full well what the probable outcomes would be.

And I'm not saying that was the opening offer, I'm saying the process simply could've gotten there sooner, but you don't know if you don't even pick up the phone to the guy to get started. Instead Trent likes to toss out the Tag, which to me seems like an unnecessary flex to slap on players you really want to keep.

Is it? I could understand this if the end result is a guy playing on a high dollar one-year deal, but each time we've done it, it basically bought us time for the big deal to get done while we focused on the little deals while urgency was needed for those.

Every guy he's tagged signed the tender and every guy has since gotten a better multi-year deal before the bill came due. Seems to me like everyone in the building understands that's the plan. I could be naive or too forgiving, it's one of my faults. I just don't feel that he's some jerk when it comes to signing his guys.

(04-12-2024, 08:03 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And I'm not saying that was the opening offer, I'm saying the process simply could've gotten there sooner, but you don't know if you don't even pick up the phone to the guy to get started. Instead Trent likes to toss out the Tag, which to me seems like an unnecessary flex to slap on players you really want to keep.

Is it? I could understand this if the end result is a guy playing on a high dollar one-year deal, but each time we've done it, it basically bought us time for the big deal to get done while we focused on the little deals while urgency was needed for those.

Every guy he's tagged signed the tender and every guy has since gotten a better multi-year deal before the bill came due. Seems to me like everyone in the building understands that's the plan. I could be naive or too forgiving, it's one of my faults. I just don't feel that he's some jerk when it comes to signing his guys.

It's what he's always done. And if you don't think he's a jerk you haven't paid attention. But his personality flaws aside if he drafts big ugliest it won't matter anymore.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2024, 08:41 AM by Mikey.)

(04-11-2024, 04:57 PM)Predator Wrote: Why do some people think that if a team offers a team friendly early extension a player will automatically sign it?

Players and agents are also considering the best time to negotiate a deal based on when they think they will have highest possible market value. If they believe they are still getting better and that waiting another season to sign a new deal would be to their financial advantage, why would the sign early.

Of course every team would love to ink a deal right before a player's break out season. That doesn't mean the player and their agent are in any rush to start negotiating a new contract.

Why would Allen want to negotiate a long term extension coming off a 7 sack season?

Because that's what they want to happen?

(04-11-2024, 10:47 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Great signing. I am glad for Josh. Now that this has been done we can all switch the discussion to whether he is now overpaid/underpaid and blame Balkie for it of course.

It says "veteran" under your name, and this post proves your status.

(04-11-2024, 10:47 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Great signing. I am glad for Josh. Now that this has been done we can all switch the discussion to whether he is now overpaid/underpaid and blame Balkie for it of course.

Hehe, lord help this message board (and Baalke) if he doesn't average double-digit sacks for the next several seasons.

(04-12-2024, 08:03 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And I'm not saying that was the opening offer, I'm saying the process simply could've gotten there sooner, but you don't know if you don't even pick up the phone to the guy to get started. Instead Trent likes to toss out the Tag, which to me seems like an unnecessary flex to slap on players you really want to keep.

I do think so. Evan wanted to sign last year and wasn't shy about it. Had they not had him on the Tag at the draft it's possible they don't take Brenton Strange. That's purely speculative, but when your #1 option is uncertain for a contract reason it has to impact your acquisition strategy. Watching Baalke work it just seems like he's overly adversarial in his approach and that has ramifications for things like losing Ridley instead of being able to tag him. Did they want to? Maybe not, but the way they played it out make it an impossibility and I hate losing options.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-12-2024, 10:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 08:03 AM)Mikey Wrote: Is it? I could understand this if the end result is a guy playing on a high dollar one-year deal, but each time we've done it, it basically bought us time for the big deal to get done while we focused on the little deals while urgency was needed for those.

I do think so. Evan wanted to sign last year and wasn't shy about it. Had they not had him on the Tag at the draft it's possible they don't take Brenton Strange. That's purely speculative, but when your #1 option is uncertain for a contract reason it has to impact your acquisition strategy. Watching Baalke work it just seems like he's overly adversarial in his approach and that has ramifications for things like losing Ridley instead of being able to tag him. Did they want to? Maybe not, but the way they played it out make it an impossibility and I hate losing options.

If they didn't tag Engram they would of tagged Taylor and we wouldn't have drafted Harrison.

(04-12-2024, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 10:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do think so. Evan wanted to sign last year and wasn't shy about it. Had they not had him on the Tag at the draft it's possible they don't take Brenton Strange. That's purely speculative, but when your #1 option is uncertain for a contract reason it has to impact your acquisition strategy. Watching Baalke work it just seems like he's overly adversarial in his approach and that has ramifications for things like losing Ridley instead of being able to tag him. Did they want to? Maybe not, but the way they played it out make it an impossibility and I hate losing options.

If they didn't tag Engram they would of tagged Taylor and we wouldn't have drafted Harrison.

Maybe, but we'll never know because Baalke used the Tag on players who WANTED to be here.

https://twitter.com/xJaylvnn/status/1778821930767777794

Now draft/trade for a #1 WR and extend Trevor and sign a backup pass rusher and this offseason is dang good.
No Fun

(04-12-2024, 02:52 AM)NH3 Wrote: It's very uplifting for our D that J. Allen will remain a Jaguar for the forseable future. His signature allows Baalke to additionally fill other defensive needed gaps such as the DL/CB backup RB and backup TE within day 2 of the 2024 NFL Draft.

FIFY --- this is Baalke we're talking about.   He's already shown that glaring needs are not a high priority when it comes to the Draft.  The draft is more about solidifying positions of role players and backups, in the event someone gets injured.

(04-12-2024, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 10:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do think so. Evan wanted to sign last year and wasn't shy about it. Had they not had him on the Tag at the draft it's possible they don't take Brenton Strange. That's purely speculative, but when your #1 option is uncertain for a contract reason it has to impact your acquisition strategy. Watching Baalke work it just seems like he's overly adversarial in his approach and that has ramifications for things like losing Ridley instead of being able to tag him. Did they want to? Maybe not, but the way they played it out make it an impossibility and I hate losing options.

I get that it's Friday, but it's still a bit early to be on the sauce already.

(04-12-2024, 02:07 PM)nhiverson Wrote: https://twitter.com/xJaylvnn/status/1778821930767777794

Now draft/trade for a #1 WR and extend Trevor and sign a backup pass rusher and this offseason is dang good.

I think we need 1) CB, 2) DT, 3) OL.   

WR is WAAAAAY down the list for me.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 10:20 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

Josh Allen will break Tony Brackens’ all time sack record by mid-season. He needs 10.5 to stand alone at the top.

Once Allen breaks the record, he will stand alone as the best defensive player the Jaguars ever drafted, and he will go down as one of the top 3 to 5 players drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars.