Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Allen - Deal or No Deal (Done Deal!)

So far this season, Allen has 6 Sacks...

He's in top 5 of sack totals for the season...

Top 5 highest paid Edge rushers is at 15 million.

Offer him 13 million with incentives, and if he want to steal money like Juwaan Taylor, let him walk. Allen isn't great. He's good. But I'd rather pay my LBers and Secondary studs than waste money on a dude that is on a contract year and yet was invisible against the Texans, Chiefs, and Bills.

He's making 10 Million this year as the top 8 Edge rusher. Give him another 3 in incentives and maybe a signing bonus. But if you pay Josh Allen top 1 or 2 Edge rusher money, you are an idiot. He's not that good, ya'll. He's never been that good. He's good enough to keep. But if he has Yannick/Ramsey delusions of grandeur, let them go waste another team's cap space.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We are a team completely lacking a pass rush and there are people not wanting to pay Josh Allen?

Not worried about a Allen deal right now. He will get tagged at the very least

(10-15-2023, 05:50 PM)carp8dm Wrote: So far this season, Allen has 6 Sacks...

Offer him 13 million with incentives, and if he want to steal money like Juwaan Taylor, let him walk.  Allen isn't great.  He's good.  But I'd rather pay my LBers and Secondary studs than waste money on a dude that is on a contract year and yet was invisible against the Texans, Chiefs, and Bills.

He's making 10 Million this year as the top 8 Edge rusher.  Give him another 3 in incentives and maybe a signing bonus.  But if you pay Josh Allen top 1 or 2 Edge rusher money, you are an idiot.  He's not that good, ya'll.  He's never been that good.  He's good enough to keep.  But if he has Yannick/Ramsey delusions of grandeur, let them go waste another team's cap space.

No one is saying to pay him top 1 or 2 edge money.

But I can see him getting 16m per year. No idea where you thought he was only worth 10m.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 05:58 PM by empty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-15-2023, 05:31 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 05:17 PM)NoShoes Wrote: More than half his sacks are in the first half….  Good try though.

Most sacks occur with a lead late in games. Food for thought.

I'm not talking about the time of game, I'm talking about the caliber of opponent.

Food for thought...  cuz clearly you're starving

Josh Allen is making 10 Mill per.  He's the 8th highest paid Edge rusher...

Do you think he's the 8th most productive edge rusher?

He's isn't the 8th highest EDGE, he's the 8th highest cap hit for OLB.  If you are talking EDGEs you need to include the 4-3 ends as well.  Spotrac puts him at 20th and OverTheCap has him at 15th, depending on how you qualify which DEs are EDGE players.

Regardless, he's not the 8th highest paid EDGE player.

(10-15-2023, 05:51 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: We are a team completely lacking a pass rush and there are people not wanting to pay Josh Allen?

Yes.

Good pass rushers grow on trees, remember? We can just go out and sign or draft one just like we did after we lost Tony Brackens in 2004.

Hold on -  wait - being told we actually failed over and over again for the next 12 years to land an impactful pass rusher. Let's do that again!

Offer him 13 million with incentives, and if he want to steal money like Juwaan Taylor, let him walk.  Allen isn't great.  He's good.  But I'd rather pay my LBers and Secondary studs than waste money on a dude that is on a contract year and yet was invisible against the Texans, Chiefs, and Bills.

He's making 10 Million this year as the top 8 Edge rusher.  Give him another 3 in incentives and maybe a signing bonus.  But if you pay Josh Allen top 1 or 2 Edge rusher money, you are an idiot.  He's not that good, ya'll.  He's never been that good.  He's good enough to keep.  But if he has Yannick/Ramsey delusions of grandeur, let them go waste another team's cap space.

Oloukon is getting paid $21.7m next year (and I will fist fight anyone who says he isn't worth it) Williams is getting paid $10.5m, Jenkins is earning $12.2m

Who are these LB's and DB's we aren't paying?

(10-15-2023, 05:58 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

Oloukon is getting paid $21.7m next year (and I will fist fight anyone who says he isn't worth it) Williams is getting paid $10.5m, Jenkins is earning $12.2m

Oluokun has been playing at an elite level

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 06:03 PM by JagFan81.)

(10-15-2023, 05:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 05:51 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: We are a team completely lacking a pass rush and there are people not wanting to pay Josh Allen?

Yes.

Good pass rushers grow on trees, remember? We can just go out and sign or draft one just like we did after we lost Tony Brackens in 2004.

Hold on -  wait - being told we actually failed over and over again for the next 12 years to land an impactful pass rusher. Let's do that again!

Who is Dave Caldwell

(10-15-2023, 06:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 05:58 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Oloukon is getting paid $21.7m next year (and I will fist fight anyone who says he isn't worth it) Williams is getting paid $10.5m, Jenkins is earning $12.2m

Oluokun has been playing at an elite level

He's the heartbeat of this D. Everything you want from a MLB. Basically our new Poz. Can't overstate how high I rate him.

(10-15-2023, 05:58 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

Don't bother.

He's just pulling random numbers out of his backside regarding Allen because he doesn't value his impact the way any sane NFL front office would. 

Barring something weird happening down the stretch - The Jags will make an offer to keep Josh Allen and tag if they can't agree. 
They aren't stupid. 

Cap management at other spots is going to get reaaalllly interesting this offseason though. 

And I have your back in any fist-fight over #23. What a great signing that was. Worth every penny.

(10-15-2023, 06:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 05:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes.

Who is Dave Caldwell

(10-15-2023, 06:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Oluokun has been playing at an elite level

He's the heartbeat of this D. Everything you want from a MLB. Basically our new Poz. Can't overstate how high I rate him.
Agree,  but hes better in coverage than Poz

Let's review Josh Allen's career:

2019:  Rookie Season.  Pro Bowler.

2020:  Injury plagued season.  He didn't play in half of the games and wasn't completely healthy for much of the half he did play.  I pretty much just throw out this season.  Injuries happen.

2021:  The Urban Meyer season.  While 7.5 sacks isn't great, it did lead the team.  He also had a forced fumble and an interception.  Again, this was the Urban Meyer season.  Most players looked bad this season.  I think Allen didn't have a good team behind him.  You also have to remember that this was a team that would earn the top pick in the following year's draft.  Most sack leaders get a decent portion of their sacks when their team is up and often up big and the other team needs to throw.  How often did this happen to the Jaguars in 2021?  Most of our opponents were running the ball late in the game to kill the clock.  It's hard to get a sack when the play call is a running play.

2022:  Last year.  He had 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and was 6th in the NFL in pressures.  Many questioned him for "disappearing" in terms of sacks in the middle of the season.  I think it had less to do with Josh Allen and was more about our secondary.  His sackless streak "coincidentally" matches up with the period after Shaquill Griffin was injured and before Darious Williams was moved to outside cornerback.  His sackless streak was when Tre Herndon was mostly playing outside cornerback.  I think teams were telling their quarterbacks that if a defender gets close to them, just throw it to whoever Herndon is supposed to be covering.  It's hard to get a sack when a receiver is wide open.  I would note that Josh Allen still did a good job at getting pressures during these games.  He just didn't get sacks.  If you pro-rated the games where either Griffin or Williams were playing, Allen would have had double digit sacks over a full season.  The 6th ranking in NFL in pressures is also key.  Sacks can depend on circumstances.  However, if you keep getting pressures, over time, the sacks usually come.  The pressures, combined with a full year of Williams at outside corner, is why I thought Allen would have a big season in 2023.  I thought we should have re-signed after the 2022 off-season as his price would likely go up after 2023.

2023:  This year.  He now has 7 sacks in 6 games.  8 if you count the one that was taken away on a very questionable penalty.  

Let's extend him long term.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 08:51 PM by JagFan81.)

(10-15-2023, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 05:58 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Oloukon is getting paid $21.7m next year (and I will fist fight anyone who says he isn't worth it) Williams is getting paid $10.5m, Jenkins is earning $12.2m

Don't bother.

He's just pulling random numbers out of his backside regarding Allen because he doesn't value his impact the way any sane NFL front office would. 

Barring something weird happening down the stretch - The Jags will make an offer to keep Josh Allen and tag if they can't agree. 
They aren't stupid. 

Cap management at other spots is going to get reaaalllly interesting this offseason though. 

And I have your back in any fist-fight over #23. What a great signing that was. Worth every penny

Yeah we're going to have to make some tough decisions with the cap and get some starter/quality depth in the draft. Just looking on Overthecap for next year, we have $37m in cap space but Allen, Ridley, Smoot and Agnew as FA. I'd want to keep all of them then there's depth guys like Herndon, Bartch, Shatley who are replaceable but you'd pay more for replacements in FA and would be looking at late round draft picks which is a big gamble. And then there's extending Lawrence. Got some big decisions for Baalke.

And I know you would man. I seem to remember you saying it was a good pick up at the time but he's been so much better than I could have hoped.

(10-15-2023, 06:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 06:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Who is Dave Caldwell

Agree,  but hes better in coverage than Poz

Yeah he is. That was Poz's one weakness, especially as he got older.

Scherff will be gone next year, as will Cam. That’s almost another 40 mill we can free up.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 09:00 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-15-2023, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Don't bother.

They aren't stupid. 

And I have your back in any fist-fight over #23. What a great signing that was. Worth every penny.

That's so fun!  I've never seen a straw man use a non-sequitor in the same post.  Well done.

Why not actually address my points instead of just being a [BLEEP]?  Oh, that's right... Because you don't actually ever have a real point to make....  

But it really is fun to watch you flame out over and over and over again.

EDIT: NYC4Jags. You're so not worthy of the Ron Swanson image you portray. I've been on all Herndon, Oloukon, Cisco, Muma, Llyod, RRS way before it was popular. This D is always been good. Even when NYC4Jags was [BLEEP] and moaning about it.

You can not ever point out where I was against any of our team or our legit players. I'd love to meet you in person and have a legit conversation. You twist so many words that it's almost insulting. Is that what happens in New Your City?

(10-15-2023, 08:52 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Scherff will be gone next year, as will Cam. That’s almost another 40 mill we can free up.

Scherff isn't going anywhere next year

(10-15-2023, 08:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 08:52 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Scherff will be gone next year, as will Cam. That’s almost another 40 mill we can free up.

Scherff isn't going anywhere next year

Next year?  Scherff is going anywhere other than the couch he's gonna be sitting his fat [BLEEP] on.

(10-15-2023, 09:01 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 08:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Scherff isn't going anywhere next year

Next year?  Scherff is going anywhere other than the couch he's gonna be sitting his fat [BLEEP] on.
If he retires. Sure. Based on how much that stubborn [BLEEP] fights and plays through injuries though I doubt it.

He got a $15M signing bonus and $30M guaranteed on a 3 year/$49.5M deal.

He'll probably finish out his last year in 2024 and call it quits after that at 32 years of age.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-15-2023, 09:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 09:01 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Next year?  Scherff is going anywhere other than the couch he's gonna be sitting his fat [BLEEP] on.
If he retires. Sure. Based on how much that stubborn [BLEEP] fights and plays through injuries though I doubt it.

He'll probably finish out his last year in 2024 and call it quits after that at 32 years of age.

If we cut him next year he's 15 mil in dead money

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 09:35 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-15-2023, 09:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 09:01 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Next year?  Scherff is going anywhere other than the couch he's gonna be sitting his fat [BLEEP] on.

I'm way too tired to look this up.. But if you are right, then I will really be bummed out.  Scherff should not be anywhere near our O-Line Roster when this season is over.  The dead cap shouldn't force us to keep such a garbage Lineman.

(10-15-2023, 09:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 09:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If he retires. Sure. Based on how much that stubborn [BLEEP] fights and plays through injuries though I doubt it.

If we cut him next year he's 15 mil in dead money

ugh...  I haven't looked it up.  But if you are correct, that pretty bad...  

On the bright side, at least we don't have dead money on a QB, WR, RB, or overrated CB?  

Kirk, Engram, Ridley, Jones, ETN, I mean,we've hit on many players... Sure, we missed on Scherff... But maybe our fortunes are going to change. The talent i mentioned are going to be with us for another 2 seasons, at least. We have the skill. We just need to shore up the Line. HOLDOR!!!

Always look on the bright side of life...