Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Trade for Mac Jones

(03-10-2024, 09:07 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I can't believe the over-reaction on here.  It's a [BLEEP] 6th round pick!

If you have seen what Baalke has done with sixth round picks, you would be really happy that we traded it away. Lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

6th rounders of note over the past 10 years:

Quandre Diggs
Darren Waller
Gardner Minshew
Foye Oluokun

With compensatory picks that's about 375 picks over 10 years. I saw some other role players whose names I was familiar with, but nothing worth getting upset over. It's not so much what Baalke does with 6th round picks. More like the league is very good at identifying and ranking talent and there's rarely anything of note left by the time the 6th round gets started.

I'm not takeing anything,im one of the few who thought jags shouldv'e taken mac jones back then with 1st pick.   Trevor s a great guy,has a great persointy,but i never really thought he was a franchise qb even before  he was a Jaguar ,but i know mac jones is.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

The "snowy is a cleverly disguised troll" crowd must be feeling pretty vindicated right about now.

(03-10-2024, 10:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: 6th rounders of note over the past 10 years:

Quandre Diggs
Darren Waller
Gardner Minshew
Foye Oluokun

With compensatory picks that's about 375 picks over 10 years.  I saw some other role players whose names I was familiar with, but nothing worth getting upset over.  It's not so much what Baalke does with 6th round picks.  More like the league is very good at identifying and ranking talent and there's rarely anything of note left by the time the 6th round gets started.

Nice post. Many fan just do not understand the odds of a draft pick working out for their team.  Yea, it is easy sitting on your couch complaining and it seem does seem not too hard. That is until you actually have skin in the game.

1996-2016 draft picks. The results, which are based on the Pro Football Reference AV metric, are sobering:
  • 16.7% didn’t play for the team that drafted them
  • 37% were considered useless. They either didn’t play much or didn’t make the team.
  • 15.3% were considered poor. Had limited playing time and didn’t do well in the time they had.
  • 10.5% were considered average. These are mediocre players that had starts or significant contributions over 2-3 years.
  • 12.3% were considered good. These could be mediocre or average players that were multi-year starters, Pat Elflein or Christian Ponder for example, or perhaps some genuinely good players that didn’t last all that long for the team that drafted them- Sidney Rice for example. This is where the AV metric can over-rate a player based on the number of starts, rather than their performance while on the field.
  • 6.9% were considered Great. This category is the first that includes undeniably good draft picks. In order to be considered great, they would’ve had to play for the team that drafted them into a second contract, and also performed well over those years.
  • 1% were considered legendary. These are future Hall of Famers, multi-year All-Pros among the best in the league for most of their relatively long careers.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/4/26/...-very-high
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024, 11:13 PM by rpr52121.)

The issue is not the trade of the 6th round pick.

The issue is that I don't think Mac Jones is an upgrade on CJ Beathard, especially given Pederson's offense.

I just don't think Mac has the arm strength for the route trees. On top of that, this team had so much trouble throwing beyond 15-20 yards which is basically Mac's kypronite.

(03-10-2024, 11:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The issue is not the trade of the 6th round pick.

The issue is that I don't think Mac Jones is an upgrade on CJ Beathard, especially given Pederson's offense.

I just don't think Mac has the arm strength for the route trees. On top of that, this team had so much trouble throwing beyond 15-20 yards which is basically Mac's kypronite.

Perhaps.  However, Mac has 42 career games under his belt.  CJ has just 13.  Maybe there's something to the arm strength argument, but I think the amount of real game experience and everything that comes with that probably trumps pretty much everything else.

I like it. I wanna see what Pederson can do with Jones.

It's just a 6th, so, if Jones does nothing, who cares?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 06:46 AM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-11-2024, 12:20 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I like it. I wanna see what Pederson can do with Jones.

It's just a 6th, so, if Jones does nothing, who cares?

Exactly.  [BLEEP], isn't that what you're hoping to find with a 6th...a backup?

But hell, let's all get in an uproar over a backup QB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mac-j...for-cheap/

(03-10-2024, 10:48 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I'm not takeing anything,im one of the few who thought jags shouldv'e taken mac jones back then with 1st pick.   Trevor s a great guy,has a great persointy,but i never really thought he was a franchise qb even before  he was a Jaguar ,but i know mac jones is.

Yep, that's exactly why the Patriots got rid of their former first round pick for a sixth rounder.  Because he's a franchise QB.  You really need to snap back to reality.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-10-2024, 11:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The issue is not the trade of the 6th round pick.

This is my same stance. 

I don't care about losing a 6th RD pick. 

I do question Mac's overall competence and abilities to lead though. I know him and Lawrence are comparable when it comes to turnovers, however, there were some really ugly games I personally watched from start to finish with Mac Jones in the line-up. 

He's tossed a number of pick sixes, he's had a fumble or two rumble the other way for touchdowns. I cannot recall the last time I saw Lawrence throw a pick six. Maybe his rookie season. 

I also agree with his arm strength, behind this current offensive line, with, honestly, a weaker defense to bail him out and a running game to somewhat balance out his offense for him. 

I just don't see him pushing the football downfield too much in this east-west approach. We still have free agency to get upgrades in these areas though. 

Again, don't care for losing the 6th RD pick. Just seems like an odd player being brought in to compete with C.J this summer for the back-up job. I still think it's an indictment on this front office though. If you're that concerned about the back-up QB position? What does that say about your evaluation process and handling of the five most important positions that are supposed to protect the QB?

Also, I keep seeing this Nick Foles link to Mac Jones on social media. I don't see it. Foles earlier on, even with Chip Kelly, he had shown the ability to protect the football and could throw it relatively anywhere on the football field. And, once again, people looking for that spark that Doug had in Philadelphia?

You're not getting it here. Because we don't have that offensive line and that running game. I certainly don't see it materializing in one off season neither.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-10-2024, 11:35 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

Perhaps.  However, Mac has 42 career games under his belt.  CJ has just 13.  Maybe there's something to the arm strength argument, but I think the amount of real game experience and everything that comes with that probably trumps pretty much everything else.
I can see that.

But I’m also seeing teams get WAY better players for 5th and 6th rounders. Amari Cooper for a 5th. Why not try and take that 6th and maybe a 4th for Courtland Sutton?

I also just don’t wanna hear the “should Mac be competing for the starting job” non sense. And that’s already started from morons.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 08:54 AM by Mikey.)

(03-10-2024, 01:46 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: I don't care about the 6th round pick as much as I care who we used it on, could have been a bargaining chip for a better player or even the draft.

Mac Jones sucks.

Said it the other day, just when you think you have a bead on what the FO is thinking, they drop a head-scratcher to set you completely back off course.

I don't see him as the heady, experienced guy you want to serve as backup and sounding board while Trevor is running the show. He's going to eat a roster spot just so we can pray that someone signs him next March and our 6th flowers into a late 5th compy? Frankly I'd rather we just saved the sixth and took a swing at one of the meh QBs in this darft, at least then we get a few cheap years to figure out if they are CJB's replacement or just a scout team arm.

SMRT.

(03-10-2024, 01:46 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Gonna light a fire under Trevor’s behind.

Finally some legit competition in the qb room. Hope this elevates Trevor’s lackluster play.

I don't remember seeing Mac play Center. He's gonna have to start bulking up if we hope this move bears fruit in the form of Trevor's production.

(03-10-2024, 01:52 PM)Newton Wrote: And imagine there were people who were claiming we should have drafted him instead of Trevor! however, seems like serviceable backup material.

@He is a probe owl QB....@

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 09:01 AM by Mikey.)

(03-10-2024, 03:03 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: People around here complained that Beathard was garbage, so we make a low cost effort to try to get a better backup and….they complain.

....ppl were saying that while being enamored with the other guy currently rostered in New England...

Ope.

(03-10-2024, 03:20 PM)Preach Wrote: I think it's great. Jones is a decent QB and Trevor needs to be pushed and play better or he can sit the bench this year.

I think we are all in agreement that Jones can sit the bench this year, yes. Nothing groundbreaking there.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 09:07 AM by Mikey.)

(03-10-2024, 04:42 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I am probbley one of the few jags fans thats  happy about the trade for mac jones.    

we all are about to witness the biggest comeback in NFL history by a qb.  When Mac Jones gets his chance to play qb for Jags he will show how great a qb he really is as he leads the Jaguars to thier first ever Super Bowl win even with a weak o-line. 

all of you will see jags should've taken Mac Jones to begin with.  Trevor is a great person ,hes just not the qb to take jags all the way. Jones is.  Lets go Jags!!!!!

even if its not as a qb he will  become our julian edelmon who goes from qb to  playing WR.    one way or the either mac jones will lead the jags to winning a Super Bowl.

When this is the case, that's when you need to take a moment to consider your stance.

If you're the salmon swimming downstream, maybe you should wonder why everyone else is facing the other direction.

that second half of the post man....it's too early and I ain't inebriated enough to attempt to grok that train of thought.

(03-10-2024, 05:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 04:42 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I am probbley one of the few jags fans thats  happy about the trade for mac jones.    

we all are about to witness the biggest comeback in NFL history by a qb.  When Mac Jones gets his chance to play qb for Jags he will show how great a qb he really is as he leads the Jaguars to thier first ever Super Bowl win even with a weak o-line. 

all of you will see jags should've taken Mac Jones to begin with.  Trevor is a great person ,hes just not the qb to take jags all the way. Jones is.  Lets go Jags!!!!!

even if its not as a qb he will  become our julian edelmon who goes from qb to  playing WR.    one way or the either mac jones will lead the jags to winning a Super Bowl.

Lol, Mac Jones ran a 4.9 in the 40, Edelman was half a second faster. No one in their right mind on the entirety of the EARTH thinks Mac Jones is an NFL receiver.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We are likely losing Ridley AND Agnew, someone is gonna have to pick up that slack, and I doubt it's gonna be Mitch Morse.

(03-10-2024, 06:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Mac Jones is like a younger Beathard. He's largely immobile, but he has decent processing ability. Trevor needs someone who can actually push him. Beathard was zero threat. 

In Mac's defense, I don't think he was well-coached in New England. He had a defensive coordinator as a playcaller one season and the over the hill, perpetually grumpy Bill O'Brien last year. 

He definitely needs a change of scenery. Is he Jared Goff 2.0? Probably not, but that's the potential upside here.

My concern is more is he Josh Rosen 2.0

I am not a troll at all,im a jags fan,nd i have always thought trevor was a highly overrated qb before jags drafted him,at same time they basicly had to draft Trevor or talking mediea heads would've been calling them the dumbest team ever in nfl history for not drafting what all the mediea said was Genrationtial talent. I said from the start he wasn't that elite qb ,nor the one for the jags.  when Trevor leads jags to another fair or medicore  season ,and Mac jons leads jags to a Super bowl win all of you will be eatting crow.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 09:19 AM by Mikey.)

(03-10-2024, 06:49 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 06:26 PM)Eric1 Wrote: LOLOLOLOLOLOL You can't be serious right? Mac Jones [BLEEP] stinks.

Might only be a 6th, but this is a stupid move.

Baalke trades back for a bunch of 6th round picks last year and no one wanted them. This year he gets rid of one and upgrades the backup QB spot.

It was a good move to dump CJ. They should have done it last year and they could have kept Rourke.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

TBD on that one.

Mac costs more money, will be spending more time learning the playbook than helping with any of the work one would expect a seasoned vet backup to do, and next year we'll be back in the hunt for a new backup. Frankly, I'd rather we thrown the 6th at Milton or Hartman to see if they're that dude.

(03-10-2024, 08:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Asking for a friend: can Jones play DT?

"light in the pants" doesn't even START the evaluation.

(03-10-2024, 10:48 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I'm not takeing anything,im one of the few who thought jags shouldv'e taken mac jones back then with 1st pick.   Trevor s a great guy,has a great persointy,but i never really thought he was a franchise qb even before  he was a Jaguar ,but i know mac jones is.

Thank the stars I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this, my monitor and keyboard would have been ruined.

(03-10-2024, 10:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The "snowy is a cleverly disguised troll" crowd must be feeling pretty vindicated right about now.

let's be honest with ourselves, here.

(03-11-2024, 09:14 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I am not a troll at all,im a jags fan,nd i have always thought trevor was a highly overrated qb before jags drafted him,at same time they basicly had to draft Trevor or talking mediea heads would've been calling them the dumbest team ever in nfl history for not drafting what all the mediea said was Genrationtial talent. I said from the start he wasn't that elite qb ,nor the one for the jags.  when Trevor leads jags to another fair or medicore  season ,and Mac jons leads jags to a Super bowl win all of you will be eatting crow.

Buddy if Mac Jones leads the Jags to a SB win I will eat all of the crows. Every last one. They will be the new dodo, extinct because of a silly post on a meaningless message board.

I will then move on to ravens.  I will eat all of them, including the crap franchise in Ballimer. Heck, I'm feeling lucky, I'll even eat their miserable stadium, too.

(03-11-2024, 09:14 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 06:49 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Baalke trades back for a bunch of 6th round picks last year and no one wanted them. This year he gets rid of one and upgrades the backup QB spot.

It was a good move to dump CJ. They should have done it last year and they could have kept Rourke.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

TBD on that one.

Mac costs more money, will be spending more time learning the playbook than helping with any of the work one would expect a seasoned vet backup to do, and next year we'll be back in the hunt for a new backup. Frankly, I'd rather we thrown the 6th at Milton or Hartman to see if they're that dude.

(03-10-2024, 08:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Asking for a friend: can Jones play DT?

"light in the pants" doesn't even START the evaluation.

Thank the stars I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this, my monitor and keyboard would have been ruined.

(03-10-2024, 10:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The "snowy is a cleverly disguised troll" crowd must be feeling pretty vindicated right about now.

let's be honest with ourselves, here.

He really used to not be this way, he was way over the top Jags happy for years. 

[Image: ce4aa5be2220723f3c49bc66c9744fa4.jpg]

(03-11-2024, 09:29 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 09:14 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I am not a troll at all,im a jags fan,nd i have always thought trevor was a highly overrated qb before jags drafted him,at same time they basicly had to draft Trevor or talking mediea heads would've been calling them the dumbest team ever in nfl history for not drafting what all the mediea said was Genrationtial talent. I said from the start he wasn't that elite qb ,nor the one for the jags.  when Trevor leads jags to another fair or medicore  season ,and Mac jons leads jags to a Super bowl win all of you will be eatting crow.

Buddy if Mac Jones leads the Jags to a SB win I will eat all of the crows. Every last one. They will be the new dodo, extinct because of a silly post on a meaningless message board.

I will then move on to ravens.  I will eat all of them, including the crap franchise in Ballimer. Heck, I'm feeling lucky, I'll even eat their miserable stadium, too.

I want in and I'll do my part to help out!

[Image: Baltimore_Ravens_Cheerleaders_%2820993297015%29.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Holy [BLEEP]. I didn't realize so many people could be outraged by a 6th round pick being traded for a backup.

(03-11-2024, 09:59 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: Holy [BLEEP]. I didn't realize so many people could be outraged by a 6th round pick being traded for a backup.

Some folks are outraged by the things they think he's going to do but hasn't done yet as much as they are when he does things like this that they had no idea he was going to do.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato