Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Trade for Mac Jones

(03-11-2024, 09:59 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: Holy [BLEEP]. I didn't realize so many people could be outraged by a 6th round pick being traded for a backup.

I wouldn't be as upset if it weren't the equivalent of just flushing the pick.

- do you expect Mac to be fluent in the playbook by the beginning of the season?
- do you think we could have used that pick to better depth elsewhere, or even to address backup QB?
- do you think CJB is cooked?
- do you think this time next year we are renewing Mac's deal?
- do you think Mac is the difference between another 9-8 campaign or a better shot at the division title?

This is a rental, and it doesn't seem to be a deal that will bear any long-term fruit. Why waste the time trying to get him versed in the playbook if we'll be back looking for his replacement in 12 months? I don't see him as a fixture here. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, but if he's got the potential everyone thinks he does, chances are he's moving on to greener pastures next spring.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 01:03 PM by Charlie Sheen. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-11-2024, 12:07 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 09:59 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: Holy [BLEEP]. I didn't realize so many people could be outraged by a 6th round pick being traded for a backup.

- do you expect Mac to be fluent in the playbook by the beginning of the season?
- do you think we could have used that pick to better depth elsewhere, or even to address backup QB?
- do you think Mac is the difference between another 9-8 campaign or a better shot at the division title?

This is a rental, and it doesn't seem to be a deal that will bear any long-term fruit. Why waste the time trying to get him versed in the playbook if we'll be back looking for his replacement in 12 months? I don't see him as a fixture here. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, but if he's got the potential everyone thinks he does, chances are he's moving on to greener pastures next spring.

Why would Mac Jones have a more difficult time getting fluent in the playbook than drafted backup QB when he is being signed almost two months before a backup would be drafted?

I think Mac Jones is better than CJB. I don't think either one is starter material, but most backups aren't. They are serviceable. If they were starter material, then they would be starting.

And let's be clear, if we are having to rely on our backup for a portion of the season then we are already in a lot of trouble.

We traded a 6th (you really trust Baalke to do something good with it anyways?) for a QB that was taken 15th overall, had a decent rookie season, and was put in a terrible situation in New England. He gets Doug Pederson and Mike McCoy to see if he can become something better. Worst case scenario? He plays like [BLEEP] and we lost a 6th. Best case scenario? He plays great, backs us up when he needs to, and then we trade him for something better than a 6th.

Remember when everyone said that Trevor needs to play injured if we want to make the playoffs because there was no faith in CJB? Mac is just a better backup option.

I don't get all the weird rage over a 6th round pick. If it was a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th? Sure, I can understand. But a 6th?

FWIW, CBS Sports give the Jaguars an A- grade for the Mac Jones trade.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mac-j...for-cheap/

(03-11-2024, 12:48 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: FWIW, CBS Sports give the Jaguars an A- grade for the Mac Jones trade.

Yep. I really don't see an issue with it. High upside, low downside.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 01:03 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-11-2024, 12:07 PM)Mikey Wrote:

It's a move that helps protect against another year end collapse occurring or entering the playoffs without Lawrence under center.  Mac Jones has seasons worth of experience and a playoff game as well.  Beathard has 13 games sporadically played across 6 seasons with the bulk of them played in years 1 and 2.  This is a stronger insurance policy.  Pederson and, Baalke more specifically, know that changes are probably coming if we miss the playoffs again.  This is purely a move to further strengthen against a similar scenario to 2023 playing out in 2024.

You don't have to like Mac Jones or agree that he's an upgrade, but you do need to realize that opinion would very likely be in the minority across the league as Mac's experience would be highly valued in a back up.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 01:04 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-11-2024, 12:51 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 12:48 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: FWIW, CBS Sports give the Jaguars an A- grade for the Mac Jones trade.

This, I like it. Much better than Beathard imo. At least there is upside there. With Beathard not so much

Never understood why Rourke was released myself.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 03:12 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-10-2024, 06:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Mac Jones is like a younger Beathard. He's largely immobile, but he has decent processing ability. Trevor needs someone who can actually push him. Beathard was zero threat. 

In Mac's defense, I don't think he was well-coached in New England. He had a defensive coordinator as a playcaller one season and the over the hill, perpetually grumpy Bill O'Brien last year. 

He definitely needs a change of scenery. Is he Jared Goff 2.0? Probably not, but that's the potential upside here.

+1. Except for the pushing part.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-11-2024, 02:51 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Never understood why Rourke was released myself.

He was on the practice squad. The Pats claimed him in December.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 03:27 PM by rpr52121.)

Why are so many people posting that they "don't get all the backlash or negativity" based on this move?

If Baalke has been doing a good job building out this team, then he would have more than enough good will to where most of board would be like "sure, whatever."

However, Baalke is basically on everyones hot seat from the board or worse.

He has no trust from the fan base, so this is another log on the fire. Well maybe more like a twig, but still.

(03-11-2024, 12:47 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 12:07 PM)Mikey Wrote: I wouldn't be as upset if it weren't the equivalent of just flushing the pick.

Why would Mac Jones have a more difficult time getting fluent in the playbook than drafted backup QB when he is being signed almost two months before a backup would be drafted? CJB is currently under contract. If we darft a guy late, he doesn't have to be ready to go week 1. I kinda see CJB/Mac as mutually exclusive. If we keep CJB and Mac, what a waste of time/money.

I think Mac Jones is better than CJB. I don't think either one is starter material, but most backups aren't. They are serviceable. If they were starter material, then they would be starting.

And let's be clear, if we are having to rely on our backup for a portion of the season then we are already in a lot of trouble. Agreed, but that only furthers the point of why expend resources unnecessarily.

We traded a 6th (you really trust Baalke to do something good with it anyways?) for a QB that was taken 15th overall, had a decent rookie season, and was put in a terrible situation in New England. He gets Doug Pederson and Mike McCoy to see if he can become something better. Worst case scenario? He plays like [BLEEP] and we lost a 6th. Best case scenario? He plays great, backs us up when he needs to, and then we trade him for something better than a 6th.

Remember when everyone said that Trevor needs to play injured if we want to make the playoffs because there was no faith in CJB? Mac is just a better backup option. Come the heck on. That's more a statement on Trevor's ability at 70% than it was on CJB at any %. Remember when NE was afraid to let Mac throw in the wind? I can play that dumb game too.

I don't get all the weird rage over a 6th round pick. If it was a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th? Sure, I can understand. But a 6th?

My point is we already had CJB on the books. Unless his injury is to the point where he isn't going to pass physicals or is going to be drastically worse at throwing now, I don't see how trading for an unproven rental is wise. If we are looking for a longer-term replacement of CJB, find someone that's either going to be developed into a backup or at least provides an opportunity to develop before you have to restart the whole process again. I don't see Mac as the type that want to make a career holding a clipboard. He's one and done.

It's only a 6th, sure, but those late picks are where we've found the likes of the Tugboat, Brown, Junior, etc that are going to be the building blocks or depth that keep you competitive.

I guess if we let him go next offseason, we can blow the compy pick on a QB prospect and see what happens.

(03-11-2024, 03:26 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Why are so many people posting that they "don't get all the backlash or negativity" based on this move?

If Baalke has been doing a good job building out this team, then he would have more than enough good will to where most of board would be like "sure, whatever."

However, Baalke is basically on everyones hot seat from the board or worse.

He has no trust from the fan base, so this is another log on the fire. Well maybe more like a twig, but still.

This sounds like the quiet part being said out loud.

(03-11-2024, 12:51 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:

With 10 TDs, 12 Ints, and a 77.0 passer rating, I'd have to say I agree he has low downside.  At least I hope that's the bottom.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 04:41 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-11-2024, 03:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:51 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Never understood why Rourke was released myself.

He was on the practice squad. The Pats claimed him in December.

I love people like you. I’m being serious, and not as crowded down here..

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2024, 09:09 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

Just thought of this.  Mac Jones' high school classes at Bolles HS were probably more difficult than his classes at Bama.

The reason is Rourke should have been the backup over CJ and masterclass gave up a sixth for a lesser player…oooof#45 for Baalke
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-11-2024, 07:43 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: The reason is Rourke should have been the backup over CJ and masterclass gave up a sixth for a lesser player…oooof#45 for Baalke

Dunno that I'd go so far as to say Mac is lesser to Rourke, but we are in the heart of lying season.

Mac will light it up in the pre-season, a starting QB will go down in week one or two, and we trade Mac for a Round 2 or 3 pick.

Winning.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 06:42 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://twitter.com/J5_Sports1/status/17...2709824880

Could possibly see Stroud coming here to be Trevors back up in a few years after we win the SB

(04-10-2024, 06:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/J5_Sports1/status/17...2709824880

Could possibly see Stroud coming here to be Trevors back up in a few years after we win the SB

This is funny.  The CJ hype is out of control and there's no way he lives up to it this year, that much is for sure.   We also collapsed and let them have the division which further boosted his profile.

I know fantasy is fantasy, but the dynasty trade calculator site Keep,Trade,Cut had CJ as the #1 dynasty QB for a short period last week after the Diggs trade.  Just ludicrous.  If I had any shares of CJ on any dynasty leagues I'm in, I'd cash in now.