Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 10:04 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

One good thing is I think the Texans had one of the worst drafts imo. The Colts had a great draft and the Titans had a decent draft getting Latham and Sweat. The did improve in FA but I dont think their draft will help them much at all this year. We impoved in FA, and then also improved in the draft

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-28-2024, 09:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Mitch Morse tightens up the O line as predicted, this was a solid draft. If the O line continues to hobble offensive production, it was a royal failure. I said it before, there's a lot riding on Morse, and there's no reason to believe he won't deliver. But if he gets injured, who's taking his spot? We really need depth and long-term investment at that spot. Grabbing JPJ would have really rounded out the draft well. As it stands now, we're one injury away from an offensive meltdown that threatens the health of Lawrence.

Defensively, we're solid.
Limmer would have been perfect yesterday. Strong as hell for the Center position. Would have competed with Fortner for back up duties. Fortner would get work in at RG this summer with Little getting work in at LG.

We'll see what happens. I understand the approach on defense and wanting to get stronger and longer in the trenches, but, based on the additions of Thomas Jr. and Davis at WR?

It would make me think play action is going be a focal point with the intent of going over the top in the passing game. I really don't know if this group is going to get it done enough.

If Morse is the key to it? Holy [BLEEP]. Baalke is genius and we owe him an apology. Maybe LG and RG play does improve with Fortner out. Huge gamble either way.

I still think LT, RG and C are top priority in 2025.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

C

This was a very average draft and I thought there were a lot of reaches. I thought that Baalke left a lot of good players that filled positions of need on the board to take reaches.

I like Jones, but I think he could have been had in the 4th and not leaving with a C/G is infuriating.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 10:39 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2024, 10:28 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: C

This was a very average draft and I thought there were a lot of reaches. I thought that Baalke left a lot of good players that filled positions of need on the board to take reaches.

I like Jones, but I think he could have been had in the 4th and not leaving with a C/G is infuriating.

I don't think Jones would have been there when we picked in the 4th.  What if he was the top player on your board and you didn't get him because you think he will be there in the 4th and then another team drafts him?  One of the best man corners and nickle corners in the draft

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 10:44 AM by Caldrac.)

(04-28-2024, 10:28 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: C

There's two questionable selections in my opinion.

The RB/KR. Robinson.
Jordan Jefferson at DT.

I probably would have went with Tanor Bortolini at OC or Mason McCormick at OG over Jefferson.

I probably would have went with Malik Washington or Johnny Wilson as well at WR over Keilan Robinson.

Reason being, is that, you signed Armstead and drafted Maason in RD2 already. You're expecting Hamilton to be back better as well.

Offensively we just kind of left it at Thomas Jr. early and Foster as a swing tackle. Morse is the only true new starter to the line.

The rest of this unit is questionable with durability. The interior feels like it needs one more body in there but we'll see.

WR room was banged up last year as well and adding a dynamic player like Washington or Wilson could have been interesting for this offense. Hell, Washington could probably do what they're hoping Robinson can do.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

C+

I liked the trade back because it gives us draft capital next year, where it's supposed to be deeper and not as top heavy as the 2024 draft. That's why it's a C+ and not a C.

For the rest of it, there's several teams that picked behind the Jags that I feel had a better draft - Pittsburgh, in particular, but then everyone says they did the best job. I can't shake the feeling that many others have that we ignored the O-line and that there were a bunch of good players in the 3rd to 6th rounds we passed over. Maybe Thomas and Smith become HOFers, I'm dead wrong, and this draft is an A+ by 2027. Guess we'll find out.

(04-28-2024, 09:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Mitch Morse tightens up the O line as predicted, this was a solid draft. If the O line continues to hobble offensive production, it was a royal failure. I said it before, there's a lot riding on Morse, and there's no reason to believe he won't deliver. But if he gets injured, who's taking his spot? We really need depth and long-term investment at that spot. Grabbing JPJ would have really rounded out the draft well. As it stands now, we're one injury away from an offensive meltdown that threatens the health of Lawrence.

Defensively, we're solid.

Good synopsis of the draft. Totally agree about JPJ. Based on the trades that were made in round 2, the Jaguars could have moved up to get him and the most they would lose was their 3rd and one of their 4th's. It ticks me off that they didn't do this, because JPJ could have been the guy that helps change the identity of that offensive line. He is a mauler who could immediately compete for one of the guard spots and eventually move to center. I said the same about moving up for Brian Branch last year and he ended up as one of the best defensive rookies, if not the best. There is a lot to like about Maason Smith and how he can help the defense. The difference between him and JPJ, however, is that JPJ has already proven his dominance at center, while Smith's ACL prevented him from showing everyone his potential to be dominant.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 11:00 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2024, 10:42 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 10:28 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: C

There's two questionable selections in my opinion.

The RB/KR. Robinson.
Jordan Jefferson at DT.

I probably would have went with Tanor Bortolini at OC or Mason McCormick at OG over Jefferson.

I probably would have went with Malik Washington or Johnny Wilson as well at WR over Keilan Robinson.

Reason being, is that, you signed Armstead and drafted Maason in RD2 already. You're expecting Hamilton to be back better as well.

Offensively we just kind of left it at Thomas Jr. early and Foster as a swing tackle. Morse is the only true new starter to the line.

The rest of this unit is questionable with durability. The interior feels like it needs one more body in there but we'll see.

WR room was banged up last year as well and adding a dynamic player like Washington or Wilson could have been interesting for this offense. Hell, Washington could probably do what they're hoping Robinson can do.

Worst pick in the draft imo.  Same, I would have went with Bortolini or McCormick there.  It will be interesting to come back and look and see if JJ ends up better than both. If something happens to Morse this line is very bad and Trevor will likely end up getting hurt again because Fortner will be back in there.  Its crazy how much Doug and loves Fortner.  Fortner has zero competion backing up Morse so they are pretty much just giving him the backup job with no competition after replacing him in the starting lineup.  Fortner shouldnt be on this team imo.  The worst player on the team is the one guy that never gets hurt.

https://youtu.be/CQ65PIm6PcE?si=1EzNkUzbhwt_9eKO

Good breakdown on our draft here. Skip to around 59 minute mark.

(04-28-2024, 10:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: One good thing is I think the Texans had one of the worst drafts imo.  The Colts had a great draft and the Titans had a decent draft getting Latham and Sweat.  The did improve in FA but I dont think their draft will help them much at all this year.  We impoved in FA, and then also improved in the draft

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I think adding CB Lassiter with S Bullock over the top is going to work out very well in Demeco's defense.  Lassiter has elite short to intermediate speed that makes him a perfect cover-2/zone cb, and Bullock is a ball-hawking S center fielder (He's also only 20 and has tons of upside.)  Always a fan of adding depth to the Oline **cough cough** and adding in swing tackle OT Blake Fisher behind Tunsil and Howard is a great move in case of injury.

The rest of the draft had players that were right in line with their value and need, Cade Stover TE that they traded up for might be a nice surprise and it's nice to reunite him with Stroud (I feel like Stroud gets his own pick in the 4th round, last year it was Tank Dell this year it was Stover.)  I was surprised that the Texans traded down with their 2nd 6th round when DT Wingo was taken, seemed like a position that they could have used.

The one position that the Texans missed on is DT starter/depth^, but sometimes that's how the board falls.  The Texans still have lots of cap space so I'm looking at post-draft FA, to fill that role.

For the Texans this was a draft to build depth behind the FA's that they brought in.  I'd give it a solid B because there wasn't an absolute star player (though I think draft grades are silly.)  You also have to add in Stefon Diggs and Joe Mixon as some of the draft picks/trade downs were used to acquire those players.

I went B- since as I, like others, would have preferred more OL depth/competition.
But I like what they did.

The LSU DT early is a risk/reward situation of course, but it could end up being a steal.
Hopefully he doesn't take too long to get into NFL shape.
Would be amazing if he's ready to take some rotational snaps at some point this season to keep the pitch count lower for Armstead.

Would be great if the Kicker turns out to be the real deal.
Having a reliable guy on a rookie deal at that position is always nice.

Has anyone heard anything about Javon Foster potentially playing Guard or if they view him strictly as an OT?

The RB pick for the return game doesn't bother me a bit.

B-

If he'd have traded up for JPJ it would be an A
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(04-28-2024, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I went B- since as I, like others, would have preferred more OL depth/competition.

The LSU DT early is a risk/reward situation of course, but it could end up being a steal.
Would be amazing if he's ready to take some rotational snaps at some point this season to keep the pitch count lower for Armstead.

Has anyone heard anything about Javon Foster potentially playing Guard or if they view him strictly as an OT?

I hope they don't give Foster the Little Treatment.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-28-2024, 04:07 AM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...elections/

CBS draft grades from 2020.  This is the epitome of why you should get all worked up over draft grades.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/grades-jaguars-20-draft

Just a list of draft grades from 2020 various sites.
This is a great example of why we really don’t know if it was a good draft or not. No one does. The worst grades were our best picks in 2020. Gotta see what they do on the field.

(04-28-2024, 11:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I went B- since as I, like others, would have preferred more OL depth/competition.

I hope they don't give Foster the Little Treatment.

I do believe that is the plan unless he performs well enough they cannot ignore him.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Smith will 100% be in the rotation this year.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 11:48 AM by MikePete54. Edited 5 times in total.)

(04-28-2024, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about Javon Foster potentially playing Guard or if they view him strictly as an OT?

Trent Baalke confirmed that Missouri OT Javon Foster will compete for the swing tackle role entering

"Well we view him as swing tackle, a guy that can play left and right. He played primarily on the left side in college obviously but went to the Senior Bowl and proved he could line up on the right side. You start him out in a swing position. That's for the coaches to settle in on what his role is going to be. But really like the size, the length, two-time captain, leader in the SEC, 31 game starter, a lot of things that played into the pick.”

(04-28-2024, 11:46 AM)MikePete54 Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about Javon Foster potentially playing Guard or if they view him strictly as an OT?

Trent Baalke confirmed that Missouri OT Javon Foster will compete for the swing tackle role entering the season.
Quote:[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]"Well we view him as swing tackle, a guy that can play left and right. He played primarily on the left side in college obviously but went to the Senior Bowl and proved he could line up on the right side. You start him out in a swing position. That's for the coaches to settle in on what his role is going to be. But really like the size, the length, two-time captain, leader in the SEC, 31 game starter, a lot of things that played into the pick.”[/font]

Put him at right, move Harrison to the left, and keep Little as the swing. They won't of course, but one can dream.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 11:51 AM by cland. Edited 1 time in total.)

Based on his draft profile, he doesn't have the proper knee bend to get leverage and his pad level gets too high as a tackle, so my feeling is that he's a (swing) tackle only. He's also pretty tall, at 6'5 ½ to move inside. He's also never played G in college.

Double dipping at DT when you already have a plethora of talent at that position while ignoring IOL the entire draft is really somethin….

Its kinda like double dipping at LB when you already have talent there….