Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars in Lindy's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Real quick.. So I picked up a copy of the Lindy's Pro Football preview mag while walking around the book store yesterday. They absolutely skewer the Jags in what has been a par for the course, hate on the little guy fashion. They call Julius Thomas the 5th worst FA signing including tje moronic statement, the money could have been better spent elsewhere (and in the fantasy rankings at the back say of him only "Who leaves Denver for Jacksonville?"). They have a section for each team which denotes a player who is on the Hot Seat. For the Jags.. that is Blake Bortles. Not Toby, Ace, or Joeckel. Blake flipping Bortles. And they repeat over and over throughout that Gus has great energy, but the team stinks on ice. To call it amateurish writing would be an insult to amateurs everywhere. The cracker jack crew there did the bare minimum of research on the team. I wouldn't care if they said we are gonna be awful again if they backed it up with any sort of facts, but it is just the run of the mill garbage you can get from any big city jerkwad in a sports bar who wants to bag on a struggling team with little to no supportive evidence. I don't have little brother syndrome or get butt hurt when people hate on us, but this did not even try. To think I used to look to magazines like this as an authority is laughable. These guys are clowns.
...when i say pickes up,to be clear. I mean literally picked up, thumbed through, and replaced. No way would I waste money on this tripe.
Wow, I remember Lindy's. It's a product of a bygone age, before the internet, when people like me would pick up a magazine and eagerly consume the contents with no way of checking any of the facts or opinions in it. I'm amazed they still print that.
You're kind of used to all the Jags bashing from the media out there, but that does kind of take it to a new bashing level doesn't it?

The Julius Thomas comment is pretty bad, I guess they didn't mention how or where the money could have been "better spent" did they?
Doesn't Vito write the Jags article? He did for a long time, including last year.
Blake is on the hot seat, so to speak. The Jags will go as BB does. What other player will be under more scrutiny, and depended upon? The hot seat, doesnt imply make or break, but on whose eyes will be on them. Thats Blake.

Toby, Ace ? Hardly. One is a back up and the other may not even be on the team in Sept. Joeckel? Perhaps somewhat, but only due to his draft position. There are guys to take his place, but Blake? He is on the island.

I think he'll show improvement..if not just for the fact of his competitiveness and hating to lose.

These guys know college ball but have no clue on the NFL.Use it for starting fires this winter.
Two things I'd have to say to them:

1.  Money better spent elsewhere?  We STILL have a ton of cap space and made moves towards other big FAs.  It's not like signing JT prevented us from signing anyone else.  Plus, he was the best FA TE and we had a big hole there, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the connection.

2. "Who leaves Denver for Jacksonville?"  Umm...probably someone that wants a fat paycheck on a young developing team.  Did Denver even offer the guy anything?

Until the Jaguars win more than 2-5 games in a season, I have little reason expect anything but these types of articles.

Quote:Wow, I remember Lindy's. It's a product of a bygone age, before the internet, when people like me would pick up a magazine and eagerly consume the contents with no way of checking any of the facts or opinions in it. I'm amazed they still print that.

Bathroom reading material.
We must keep in mind that all have their opinions and All Opinions aren't accurate and or worthy...

NH3...

lindys opinion basically picks up where last season left off, that's why I quit buying them

its like they don't take free agency or the draft into consideration

Around the NFL podcast picked up on this some.  They overestimated the Jaguars last year and feel a tad burned.  Basically for all the time they spend navigating through the season they want bottom dweller teams to win a little before they will feel better about the team.

Can't blame anyone that lays out a nice argument and avoids recycling the same tired lines.  Time to win and develop the team.  The narrative will change when the product on the field improves.

Quote:Bathroom reading material.

Don't you have a bathroom computer with a 50" monitor opposite the toilet? I thought everyone had one by now.

Smile
Our Jaguars were close to winning a few more games last year. They could have easily been 5-11 or 6-10... Still bad, but it's not as bad as it seems. I bet it's a competitive game every single week this year.
Quote:Don't you have a bathroom computer with a 50" monitor opposite the toilet? I thought everyone had one by now.

Smile

HA !!   I only bring that out when I'm compiling my mock drafts !!  The big board.
Only mags I have anymore hold bullets..

Only other mags I might buy...would be on a 1960s muscle car :thumbsup: