Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars to utilize 3 TE sets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Per rotoworld:

Quote:Jaguars to use lots of three-TE looks?

Nic Jacobs | JAC

(June 3, 2015 8:44 AM EDT)

The Jaguars are expected to use plenty of three-tght end sets on offense this season.

This is the sure sign of a run-heavy offense. T.J. Yeldon could flirt with 300-plus carries. Julius Thomas and Marcedes Lewis are locked in as the Jaguars' top two tight ends, while Clay Harbor and second-year UDFA Nic Jacobs compete for No. 3 duties. Jacobs blocked on 99 of his 148 snaps last season.

SOURCE: FLORIDA TIMES UNION

I assume Clay Harbor would rotate with Sterling and Koyack in passing looks and possibly Jacobs or Koyack in run looks.
Quote:Per rotoworld:

I assume Clay Harbor would rotate with Sterling and Koyack in passing looks and possibly Jacobs or Koyack in run looks.
I don't think the team will keep 6 "TEs" even with 0 FBs. Sterling is probably headed to the PS.

- Mike
Quote:I don't think the team will keep 6 "TEs" even with 0 FBs. Sterling is probably headed to the PS.

- Mike

Me neither. 5 is likely though.
Not really news but one step closer to really figuring out our plans. I also think we keep 5 instead of 6 at this point in time.

Quote:Not really news but one step closer to really figuring out our plans. I also think we keep 5 instead of 6 at this point in time.

Well the prevailing thought before was heavy 2 TE formations with Thomas and Mercedes. This is the first time I've heard of heavy use of 3 TE or goaline sets.
Quote:Well the prevailing thought before was heavy 2 TE formations with Thomas and Mercedes. This is the first time I've heard of heavy use of 3 TE or goaline sets.
I always thought we would look at TE receiving TEs and have Lewis in blocking so in my mindset I was picturing 3 TE sets. Then also flip that for running downs with two blocking and JT still out to try and catch. But yeah now that I think about it, it has been more 2 sets talked about.
Sounds like a lot of slow to me. 

Quote:I don't think the team will keep 6 "TEs" even with 0 FBs. Sterling is probably headed to the PS.
I think Sterling's got a shot, maybe a better shot than Koyack, at sticking on the 53-man. He can play receiver, and by the end of the summer I'm sure he'll be a competent tight end as well. If he can be the fifth receiver/fourth tight end and a good special teamer, he has a chance of bumping a couple people off the roster.
Dink and dunk... here we come....

Quote:Sounds like a lot of slow to me. 

They will be using Tyson Alualu at TE, also. Just for you.
So who's going to be our next OC?
So maybe something like this:

X T G C G T Y

Q           W                 Z

B

X - TE (Lewis)

Y - TE  (Koyack / Harbor / Jacobs)

W - TE (Thomas)

Z - Motion WR. Maybe they can crack block a DE or even exploit a corner route mismatch

B - RB (Yeldon / Robinson / Gerhart)

Quote:Dink and dunk... here we come....
Ordinarily I'd agree, but Julius Thomas...
Quote:They will be using Tyson Alualu at TE, also. Just for you.

That would most likely result in a loss of yardage on a run or a sack.
Quote:That would most likely result in a loss of yardage on a run or a sack.
Well, he would definitely have a head-start towards tackling the ball-carrier.
I don't get it we actually have a talented wr core and we want to run multiple te sets?
Quote:I don't get it we actually have a talented wr core and we want to run multiple te sets?

If it works....

I think they are just replacing tradition "I" sets (NO FB) with the 3TE sets...

I suspect we'll see plenty of 3 WR and "flex" stuff too.
Quote:Well, he would definitely have a head-start towards tackling the ball-carrier.

Probably still whiff
Something about this scheme makes me anxious. There is not a high risk/reward. I feel like defenses will stack the box and keep us to minimal gains. Why do I just envision a lot of 3rd and 10 situations, forcing Bortles to find a deep receiver, when stretching the field is not our cup of tea? I guess a key factor here is how much better our line can block.
I can understand a 2 tight set with no fb. But 3? Often? Why? You have Allen Robinson,Lee and Hurns. Why telegraph your offense when you can strain the defense outside and in with your receiver and te talent. Interesting, I'm no expert but to me you make your offense very easy to read and you only have 2 potential receiver threats to cover rather than 4 or 5. I don't get it.
Pages: 1 2