Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Injured reserve in perspective
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hopefully someone here has access to the information to answer this question.  I have tried 2 or 3 times to get the answer through the O-zone, but I may have over-estimated their research staff.

How many NFL players are lost for the season before the 9th game on the average?  (--or for any other reasonable time frame that you can find.)  Numbers for the total number placed on injured reserve for a season would be misleading because of how teams will put any player unlikely to return in that season on injured reserve and this might include players with just a 1-4 week injury.   Having an idea of of the average loss of front line players would help me put the loss of Fowler in perspective.  It would also prepare us for the possible loss of more players.  Thanks

Id say anywhere from 8-12 players.

The great players play hurt.

Of course you have season ending injuries that every team faces every couple seasons.

Hope that helps
Quote:Id say anywhere from 8-12 players.

The great players play hurt.

Of course you have season ending injuries that every team faces every couple seasons.

Hope that helps

The great players play hurt? All the players play hurt.
One thing I have noticed over the years is that more players seem to end up on I.R. in the final few weeks of the regular season than earlier in the season.   Probably the two reasons for this are with the season coming to an end,   there's less time for players to recover in time from their respective injuries.   And it also gives a team the opportunity to promote players from the Practice Squad or sign players from other NFL Practice Squads.   This in essence ensures that the team will have the rights to the player for the following season unless they are released at some point.

By the middle of the regular season,   not counting players that were placed on Injured Waivers in the summer and eventually landed on I.R.,  my guess is somewhere near an average of 6 players placed on Injured Reserve is the number.   

Quote:The great players play hurt? All the players play hurt.

I was think Winslow SR.
Quote:One thing I have noticed over the years is that more players seem to end up on I.R. in the final few weeks of the regular season than earlier in the season.   Probably the two reasons for this are with the season coming to an end,   there's less time for players to recover in time from their respective injuries.   And it also gives a team the opportunity to promote players from the Practice Squad or sign players from other NFL Practice Squads.   This in essence ensures that the team will have the rights to the player for the following season unless they are released at some point.

By the middle of the regular season,   not counting players that were placed on Injured Waivers in the summer and eventually landed on I.R.,  my guess is somewhere near an average of 6 players placed on Injured Reserve is the number.   

In the case of losing teams with no chance of making the playoffs (as we've grown accustomed to), there will be more players put on IR at the end of the season. With teams in the thick of the playoff race, the exact opposite has to be true. 
Quote:In the case of losing teams with no chance of making the playoffs (as we've grown accustomed to), there will be more players put on IR at the end of the season. With teams in the thick of the playoff race, the exact opposite has to be true. 

Regarding your last sentence in the reply,   that seems like the case at times.   Yet,  there are other times when because a team is in contention,  they need more relatively healthy options for their Game Day rosters.   Hence,  in some cases,  they are forced to place players on I.R.  even if there's a realistic chance they could be back if the team goes deep into the playoffs. 
I know this is not exactly what OP is asking for, but here is an interesting article about AGL (Adjusted Games Lost) numbers.

http://coltsauthority.com/2015-archives/...again.html

Quote:I know this is not exactly what OP is asking for, but here is an interesting article about AGL (Adjusted Games Lost) numbers.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://coltsauthority.com/2015-archives/2014-agl-colts-one-of-the-most-injured-teams-in-the-league-again.html'>http://coltsauthority.com/2015-archives/2014-agl-colts-one-of-the-most-injured-teams-in-the-league-again.html</a>

That is interesting.
From the article

At this point, the string of Colts injury luck, or lack thereof, is simply comical to me. It’s inevitable, like a Titans collapse or a poorly-timed divorce joke over Thanksgiving dinner.

Colts have been so darn good for too long.  We have been dropped down so that we aren't the subject of their writing humor.  Oh football fate please allow Bortles to progress so that we can knock down the smug and arrogant of the AFC South.  Let us rise again and this time appreciate what it takes to win.

I really appreciate the posts here.  The link to "adjusted days lost" was indeed useful as much as anything through its  identification of many of the factors that can go into the impact of injuries to the game.   It is obvious that loss of a star player on a team with poor depth can mean more than the loss of a player who is just marginally better then his backups.  Usually when a team says that its positions are very competitive, it means that loss of one player will not be as consequential as when they are not.  The long season makes injury luck very important for team success.  Maybe this bodes well for this years Jaguar team.  

And, of course, the special requirements for good quarterback play also can make a loss at this position of greater impact than the loss of a single lineman for example.

Thanks everyone.