Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags employing stronger commitment to the running game in new offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The video was shot a couple days before Fowler went down with his ACL.

Same message as last year.
Good to hear.

A strong running game can only help Bortles, the offensive line, and the defense.

Hopefully they can pull it off.

Quote:Same message as last year.

New players this year. Just sayin

The philosophy shouldn't change
Question:  Of all of the acquisitions this year, which one will be the most important in establishing a competent running game?

To me, you can make arguments for any number of players.

Obviously, T.J. Yeldon is a candidate because he offers more between the tackles and pass blocking ability than Denard Robinson, and more speed, quickness and wiggle than Gerhart.

Stefen Wisniewski is a candidate because he offers more size, strength, and experience than last year's center Bowanko, and that is needed to handle NTs effectively and call blocking schemes.

You could argue that A.J. Cann is more powerful than Beadles and can get more movement inside.

Given his athleticism, Parnell could open things up on the right side.

Julius Thomas' athleticism and receiving ability commands attention in the passing game, such that a SLB, MLB/ILB, and/or a SS that might otherwise play run, might be a little less aggressive in that aspect for fear of being burned on play action.  However, based on scouting reports, Thomas may need to improve his run blocking.

Right now, I am inclined to argue that Wiz is the key to the run game.  A solid C does wonders for the running game.  If he can be that for us, that will help a lot.

Sure, we've been hearing about 'focus on run' from Bradley for quite a while now... But...

When they drafted Yeldon and Cann where they did after signing Marrone to coach the line and Parnell/Wisniewski's to man RT/C - it should have been pretty clear that they are committed to following through on past promises.

Yes. They are going to great lengths to have a run game that takes some heat off of Bortles.
So, back to three yards and a cloud of dust then? I kid, of course. I'm a big fan of a strong running game, especially with a young QB.
Quote:So, back to three yards and a cloud of dust then? I kid, of course. I'm a big fan of a strong running game, especially with a young QB.
We are mimicking the Seahawks so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Strong defense. Ball control and a mobile QB who makes key throws when he needs to.

I just want wins babay.
We all know that a running game helps a young QB but I look at it as also being able to help stay on the field longer to drive the ball wear down the opposing team and help keep our D dominate and rested. Minus the loss of Fowler for the year. Good thing the didn't start cutting D guys to early.

Quote:Sure, we've been hearing about 'focus on run' from Bradley for quite a while now... But...

When they drafted Yeldon and Cann where they did after signing Marrone to coach the line and Parnell/Wisniewski's to man RT/C - it should have been pretty clear that they are committed to following through on past promises.

Yes. They are going to great lengths to have a run game that takes some heat off of Bortles.

Yup. When they said they were going to build the roster to give Bortles the best chance to succeed, that included an improved line and running game along with weapons in the passing attack.
I like it!

A young QB's best friends:

Running Game

Excellent TE

If the running game is really good and can be leaned on,,

If Julius Thomas really shines as we know he can,,

and, if Bortles progresses nicely this year, particularly with fewer mistakes,,,

This team should be in every game with Wins coming along the way.

I know,, alot of "IF's",, we'll see if it comes to fruition.
It all starts up front.  Last years line was not good enough to consistently run the ball.  The hope is this line is much improved and that elevates the old and new talent behind them.

Quote:I like it!

A young QB's best friends:

Running Game

Excellent TE

If the running game is really good and can be leaned on,,

If Julius Thomas really shines as we know he can,,

and, if Bortles progresses nicely this year, particularly with fewer mistakes,,,

This team should be in every game with Wins coming along the way.

I know,, alot of "IF's",, we'll see if it comes to fruition.
If this offense can score in the 24 point per game average they will be at .500 or better.
For thee umpteenth time, without a VASTLY improved OL,.............the running game goes nowhere.  For that matter, not much on the passing game either. It matters not if you have Yeldon, Robinson or Gerhart in there or even all 3 at once.............. a stagnant OL equals no significant running game which equals another long season.

Yeldon starting with Shoelace as a backup or change of pace, Toby Gerhart as the H-back role and maybe Storm makes it as the 3rd HB.

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco expects T.J. Yeldon to become Jacksonville's "feature back" this season.

Not content with Denard Robinson or Toby Gerhart atop the depth chart, Jacksonville searched high and low for a foundation back this offseason before selecting Yeldon with the No. 36 overall pick in the draft. He is expected to immediately become the Jags' three-down workhorse, and has a chance to threaten the top-ten of running back touches this season. Yeldon is an RB2 with upside in redraft formats - Rotoworld

I am not sure on this plan. The running is good if the line does good. Is the line good?

We have a OC now who emphasizes the run...

We drafted a running back in the second round...

We've got up-grades on our offensive line (we hope)...

We've got a quarterback who would really, really benefit from reduced pressure via a better run game...

The HC has said there will be more emphasis on the run this season.

Those are all pretty strong indicators that the Jags are going to try to step up their running game. My question is... are we doing this mostly for the sake of Blake Bortles, to try to limit the pounding he takes?... or, does it have more to do with Greg Olson and what he wants to do?

Quote:I am not sure on this plan. The running is good if the line does good. Is the line good?
It should be improved by addition, and by experience.
Quote:I am not sure on this plan. The running is good if the line does good. Is the line good?
It should be, we brought in 3 major additions plus a good OL coach
Pages: 1 2