Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Starting Running Back: Robinson V. Yeldon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Who will start for the Jags at RB? My heart says Robinson, my head says Yeldon.

http://www.generationjaguar.net/jaguars-...n-v-yeldon

We have to see what Yeldon does in pads. I'm sure a lot of people thought Toby was going to be the starter last year, but things change once the game starts.

On paper, Yeldon makes sense, but we'll see.
....they did not take RB in the 2nd round for him to be a backup. 

Quote:....they did not take RB in the 2nd round for him to be a backup. 

This.
Pretty much.. But D Rob will get a lot of action.
I honestly don't think Robinson will ever be considered a true starter at RB. 

Quote:I honestly don't think Robinson will ever be considered a true starter at RB. 

his improvement from year 1 to year 2 was pretty remarkable.  who is to say he can't do it again?
ditto
Yeldon will obviously be the starter.

Robinson will be a nice change of pace in the rotation. I think he'll get less snaps than last year though. He needs to dramatically improve his blocking
It's hard to imagine that Yeldon would have been drafted if the team expected Robinson to become a long-term starter. Anything can happen once the pads go on, but I'd be surprised if anyone other than Yeldon was starting in week one.

Quote:his improvement from year 1 to year 2 was pretty remarkable.  who is to say he can't do it again?

I may be in the minority when I say I didn't see "remarkable" improvement from year 1 to year 2.  To me, "remarkable" would imply that he actually won the starting job.  Last I checked, that wasn't the case.  He made strides to warrant being in the rotation, but there's a reason the team drafted another back so high this year.

Quote:I may be in the minority when I say I didn't see "remarkable" improvement from year 1 to year 2. To me, "remarkable" would imply that he actually won the starting job. Last I checked, that wasn't the case. He made strides to warrant being in the rotation, but there's a reason the team drafted another back so high this year.

His first year he had more fumbles than touchdowns and wasn't dependable in any way. His second, he was as productive as any back in the league for a time, highly dependable, and a home run threat every play.

Yeah he (fifth round draft choice) didn't win a starting job at a new position his second year, but to say he didn't show remarkable improvement is, in my opinion, mistaken.
I think things need to be put into proper perspective for Robinson.

He was utilized more last year than he was in his rookie season, so the stats SHOULD have shown significant improvement based on the sheer volume of touches he had last year. 

He did improve in fumbles and touchdowns.  He went from 3 fumbles his rookie year (2 lost) to 2 fumbles last year (2 lost).  His 4 touchdowns last year were a marked improvement over zero as a rookie.

Still, he had a strong 3 game stretch in the middle of the season, and still didn't secure the starting job. 

Like I said, he improved.  I wouldn't consider it a dramatic improvement, but he did improve over his rookie season.  Still, I don't see him being anything more than a guy in the rotation.  Yeldon has the potential to be your every down back.  Nobody is going to say that about Robinson.  That doesn't diminish what he does bring to the table.  It's just a realistic view that he's never going to be a feature back, IMO.

If you look at his stats prior to and then following the back to back 100 yard games, it shows the complete lack of consistency last season.  Prior to his foot injury, he was already seeing his production trailing off after a strong mid-season.

When we start calling his improvement remarkable, we're falling into the trap some here like to throw out there that we're fine with mediocrity.  What we saw from Robinson was nice improvement over his rookie year.  For it to be remarkable, IMO, he would have had to show more consistency and more production overall.  Had he done so, there may not have been a need for the team to draft another RB as high as they did.  Clearly the front office wasn't overwhelmed by his performance considering the efforts they made to address RB in free agency, and then again in the draft.  Just my opinion, but it seems the front office agrees.

Quote:I think things need to be put into proper perspective for Robinson.

He was utilized more last year than he was in his rookie season, so the stats SHOULD have shown significant improvement based on the sheer volume of touches he had last year. 

He did improve in fumbles and touchdowns.  He went from 3 fumbles his rookie year (2 lost) to 2 fumbles last year (2 lost).  His 4 touchdowns last year were a marked improvement over zero as a rookie.

Still, he had a strong 3 game stretch in the middle of the season, and still didn't secure the starting job. 

Like I said, he improved.  I wouldn't consider it a dramatic improvement, but he did improve over his rookie season.  Still, I don't see him being anything more than a guy in the rotation.  Yeldon has the potential to be your every down back.  Nobody is going to say that about Robinson.  That doesn't diminish what he does bring to the table.  It's just a realistic view that he's never going to be a feature back, IMO.

If you look at his stats prior to and then following the back to back 100 yard games, it shows the complete lack of consistency last season.  Prior to his foot injury, he was already seeing his production trailing off after a strong mid-season.

When we start calling his improvement remarkable, we're falling into the trap some here like to throw out there that we're fine with mediocrity.  What we saw from Robinson was nice improvement over his rookie year.  For it to be remarkable, IMO, he would have had to show more consistency and more production overall.  Had he done so, there may not have been a need for the team to draft another RB as high as they did.  Clearly the front office wasn't overwhelmed by his performance considering the efforts they made to address RB in free agency, and then again in the draft.  Just my opinion, but it seems the front office agrees.

I'm glad they drafted another prospect to put in the mix, but as of right now I think Denard is the best ball carrier on the roster.  His pass blocking skills are the only thing holding him back right now, and that can be improved with another offseason under his belt.

Yes, we don't want to be OK with mediocrity.  We also shouldn't fall in the trap of, "Hey, this guy was drafted in the second round, so you know he's good."  It's quite possible he will be a dud just like Toby Gerhart was a dud FA pickup.

Doesn't mean you automatically hand the starting role to Yeldon. Who knows how Robinson is going to play? If Yeldon beats out Robinson in TC, by all means, make him the starter.

As mentioned, Toby didnt sign a backup running back contract. He's a backup RB now. Possibly 3rd string.

You can only make a clear decision after training camp. Yeldon hasn't even put pads on yet.
I think Yeldon will get every opportunity to win the starting job. You don't draft him that high to be a backup. Personally, I think we'll be looking for a another starter in 2 years.

It depends if Yeldon can pick up and understand his blocking assignments. He'll be trying to adjust to the speed change from college and the pros too. I think it might be Robinson or Gerhart(eww). If he doesn't pick up the blocking assignments to the coaches satisfaction, they're not going to put him in there only to get your quarterback killed.

MOJO was taken in the second round too. He didn't start for a number of years. Denard ain't no Freddie But may be able to hold him off for a couple games to start this season.

If Toby is healthy too I think he may be an opening day starter.
Quote:I may be in the minority when I say I didn't see "remarkable" improvement from year 1 to year 2. To me, "remarkable" would imply that he actually won the starting job. Last I checked, that wasn't the case. He made strides to warrant being in the rotation, but there's a reason the team drafted another back so high this year.

Denards stats stunk up the place last year. H3 definitely passed the eye test during that 3 game stretch. Was the best offensive player on a pretty bad unit.
I love that Robinson is on the team. Means Yeldon can get 5-10 less carries game while still having a speedster in there. Those touches by Robinson should help keep Yeldon fresh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4