Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So if Tannehill got $95 mil,what would Blake's next contract be
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know it's at least 2 years or so from this conversation,but since the guys on 1010xl 12-3 mentioned this,got me curious.

The price for a good QB seems to have gone up.If the Fins forked over all that cash to renew Ryan,Blake could easily fetch over $100 if he takes that next step like we hope he will.

Ryan's stats for last season were:4K yards,27td,12 ints.

Not bad,but not elite either.

Any thoughts on where Blake may be stat wise as he gets close to new contract?Maybe 4k or more,30/15

Quote:I know it's at least 2 years or so from this conversation,but since the guys on 1010xl 12-3 mentioned this,got me curious.

The price for a good QB seems to have gone up.If the Fins forked over all that cash to renew Ryan,Blake could easily fetch over $100 if he takes that next step like we hope he will.

Ryan's stats for last season were:4K yards,27td,12 ints.

Not bad,but not elite either.

Any thoughts on where Blake may be stat wise as he gets close to new contract?Maybe 4k or more,30/15

the price has been going up, it will continue to go up. franchise QBs are the most important player on the team. 

if blake plays up to his potential, when his contract comes time to renew, he will likely get a deal thats higher than the one tannehill got. 
If we're having this kind of conversation in two years, then I'd consider Blake a success.  It's a good problem to have, but I'd probably figure Russell Wilson type money once his deal is done.

Tannehill has improved in yards, comp % and TD's every year he has been in the league. I think he has just been in a pretty mediocre organization and playing for a dope as head coach. 

And how happy would we all be if Blake put up 3900 yards, a 60% comp and 24 TD's in his second year?

Quote:Tannehill has improved in yards, comp % and TD's every year he has been in the league. I think he has just been in a pretty mediocre organization and playing for a dope as head coach. 

And how happy would we all be if Blake put up 3900 yards, a 60% comp and 24 TD's in his second year?

Those are Elway numbers.  I'd be pretty happy.
I am hoping he deserves a $200m deal, breaking all records...

I wouldnt worry about that -  Vics famous words...

Bortles contract will likely be upwards of 120 milly, with half of it guaranteed.

If he progresses and his year 3 looks like (or is better) than Tannehill's.

Tannehill was a WR like 6 years ago... I sure hope Bortles can put up similar progressing stats to Tannehill (who also has had some turnover on the coaching staff)

Tannehill's yards, TDs, and COMP % all increased each year. With INTs and YPA holding pretty steady.

In theory... Bortles should be better in year 2 than Tannehill was in year 2...

Bortles rookie year

Tannehill rookie year

In 2 fewer games, Bortles had 2 fewer completions on 9 fewer attempts, with a slightly higher comp %, about 400 yards less (200 yds per game less played), about the same on TDs

IF he makes a similar jump to year 2 (I actually think he'll have a bigger jump than Ryan did)

Here are Ryan's 2nd year numbers

If Bortles hits close to these stats... we should feel pretty good about where he is....

I'd like to see 65 comp, 3.5-4k in yards, 25 Tds and 15 INts (or fewer) and a YPA of 7 or better.

Let's just hope he's good enough to earn that contract and not the next Blaine gabbert.
ya one step at a time.

Here's the contract breakdown. It's structured similar to the Dalton/Kaepernick deal. The team can pretty much walk away if he doesn't live up to the expectations.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas...d-their-qb
Why are we worrying about Bortles contract?  It won't be an issue worth discussing for another few years.

It's the dead zone..  and like he said, the guys on 1010XL brought it up. Would you prefer another Blackmon thread?

As someone from the Colts organization said, based on Tannehill's contract, Luck would own the Colts pretty soon when his is up.

Yeeeeaaaa lets come back to this topic in 2-3 years 

[Image: tumblr_inline_mn28tnWmeN1qz4rgp.jpg]

Quote:It's the dead zone..  and like he said, the guys on 1010XL brought it up. Would you prefer another Blackmon thread?
Again, who cares?  This isn't a subject worth discussing for another few years.  A lot can happen between now and then.

Four ham sammiches. You heard me, FOUR.

Quote:Here's the contract breakdown. It's structured similar to the Dalton/Kaepernick deal. The team can pretty much walk away if he doesn't live up to the expectations.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas...d-their-qb

Yeah, I read an article somewhere that said his contract might say "95 million dollars" but in reality it's structured completely in the team's favor, giving them an opportunity to walk away from it in a year or two without too much damage. 
With the money these QBs are getting, it makes you wonder if it's almost easier to build an elite defense and running game while supplementing at QB with an average/game managing vet.

I think the best person to ask would be Rex Ryan. He's always been saddled with a less-than-good QB and above-average defense; I wonder if he could have his way, especially with the way his father coached defense, if he would prefer the games best defense or an elite QB.

I know one thing; if Bortles can put up Tannehill numbers and our defense can approach elite status before it's time to pay out for Blake's next contract, this young team will have a few years with a lot of Ws. There's a lot of ifs there though.
Pages: 1 2