Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Led the NFL in Broken Tackles Allowed Last Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-an...s-defenses

There are some pretty interesting stats in this Football Outsiders article that shows how poorly some of our tackling was last season. Josh Evans led the league is both percentage of broken tackles as well as total number of broken tackles allowed. Cyprien (4th), Telvin Smith (29th), and JT Thomas (40th) also were all in the top 40 for total number of broken tackles allowed. Chris Clemons also ranked 13th for broken tackles allowed by a defensive lineman.

Our defense missed a total of 121 tackles last season, 10 more than the second worst team. With the exception of Clemons, all these players were relatively young and two of them have been replaced/let go so hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

That is definitely something that can affect Wins and Losses if not corrected.

If I had to guess, I'd guess Telvin Smith's were earlier in the year. He played great at the end of the season.
Also doesn't help when your defense is on the field for what feels like the ENTIRE game.  A better offense will solve a lot of the issues on defense.

Quote:If I had to guess, I'd guess Telvin Smith's were earlier in the year. He played great at the end of the season.
yeah, most of Smiths were the first half of the season
Quote:Also doesn't help when your defense is on the field for what feels like the ENTIRE game.  A better offense will solve a lot of the issues on defense.
This.

I think the fatigue factor coupled with the sheer youth and inexperience on the defensive side of the ball contributed to this factor.  I fully expect to see them clean this up in 2015. 
No doubt though Evans missed a ton of tackles
Quote:This.

I think the fatigue factor coupled with the sheer youth and inexperience on the defensive side of the ball contributed to this factor. I fully expect to see them clean this up in 2015.

The game at Indy stands out. The defense was outstanding the first half. The offense couldn't get out of it's own way. At some point the defense was gassed and that's when Hilton destroyed them.
Quote:The game at Indy stands out. The defense was outstanding the first half. The offense couldn't get out of it's own way. At some point the defense was gassed and that's when Hilton destroyed them.

Same the Eagles I think. The defense was on fire all first half. Second half the defense just dropped dead. They have to be able to make tackles.
Cyp being that high on that list is no surprise to anyone that watches this team wirhout teal colored glasses
Quote:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-an...s-defenses

. Cyprien (4th),

Troubling that our SS is that high on the list.  He was drafted top 35 to be an enforcer and has not lived up to that.  I call him the whiff master
Quote:Troubling that our SS is that high on the list.  He was drafted top 35 to be an enforcer and has not lived up to that.  I call him the whiff master

That title should go to Evans. In terms of percentage Cyprien wasn't even in the bottom 12 for defensive backs, he was up there for total broken tackles allowed because of the amount of times he was in on the play. He definitely needs to get better, but the percentage number is the one I'd consider the better stat.
Quote:That title should go to Evans. In terms of percentage Cyprien wasn't even in the bottom 12 for defensive backs, he was up there for total broken tackles allowed because of the amount of times he was in on the play. He definitely needs to get better, but the percentage number is the one I'd consider the better stat.

Pretty much. Look at the explanation given for JJ Watt.
Does a broken tackle count only as broken if he defender got his hands on him at some point?

What happens when a player completely whiffs? Is that a statistic? Cuz I remember plenty of whiffs from some of the guys.
Yeah, and JJ Watt was also on the top of the list for defensive linemen. It's about playing time, and the defense was out for way too long. No excuse for that amount of missed tackles, though.

Quote:Does a broken tackle count only as broken if he defender got his hands on him at some point?

What happens when a player completely whiffs? Is that a statistic? Cuz I remember plenty of whiffs from some of the guys.

This is from the article:

"Historically, we have defined a "broken tackle" as one of two events: either the ball carrier escapes from the grasp of the defender, or the defender is in good position for a tackle but the ball carrier jukes him out of his shoes. If the ball carrier sped by a slow defender who dived and missed, that didn't count as a broken tackle."
I watched every single snap of Jaguar football last year.   The team was horrific in tackling most games.  Cyprien to me stood out.  I often times would see a runner coming at him and he would either Jump at thin air or get his hands on the runner only to be dragged and ran over.   The biggest worry is Impact hits.(hits behind the LOS or a big hit)  I count maybe 3 all year on his part. 

Marks was the only constant player on defense last year.  Clemons often vanished while Telvin became better much latter. 

Quote:That title should go to Evans. In terms of percentage Cyprien wasn't even in the bottom 12 for defensive backs, he was up there for total broken tackles allowed because of the amount of times he was in on the play. He definitely needs to get better, but the percentage number is the one I'd consider the better stat.

Whiff brothers!
Quote:I watched every single snap of Jaguar football last year.   The team was horrific in tackling most games.  Cyprien to me stood out.  I often times would see a runner coming at him and he would either Jump at thin air or get his hands on the runner only to be dragged and ran over.   The biggest worry is Impact hits.(hits behind the LOS or a big hit)  I count maybe 3 all year on his part. 

Marks was the only constant player on defense last year.  Clemons often vanished while Telvin became better much latter. 

To be "fair" to Clemons, he's always been a pass rush only DE. He's never been good in run support and has made a career out of being able to get to the QB. Now, that he's older his quickness had diminished a bit.
thats great though we lead the league in something last year. at least we lead something.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Pages: 1 2 3