Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Now and then and again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Way too early for a weakest link thread, but I am bored on a Thursday so I figured I would start the debate of whom you feel is the strongest player or position on the team and what is the biggest area of weakness.

I am happy that GM Dave Caldwell drafted a safety and signed a safety Sergio Brown but I am still concerned with DBs in regards to the defense.  I hope House lives up to the hype and McCray continues to improve but I was hoping for another CB to be drafted instead of Yeldon in the 2nd round.  I felt Robinson could've held the role good enough to address CB which I felt was more of a concern.  I hope I am wrong.  I think Cyprien will improve and last year was a bit of a set back with the lack of FS support.

The depth Sample provides and might compete with Brown if not win out the FS position which would be best case scenario.

I was really happy to see the offensive line be addressed in free agency and the draft along with bringing in Marrone it went from one of the biggest weakness to a strength.

Okay so here it is the strength is Tight End.  I feel the pressure on M. Lewis will cause him to have another great year like he did when he went to the ProBowl combined with two time ProBowler J. Thomas on the field on the other side it should resemble Cheifs old playbook TE heavy. 

The weakness to me is going to be Free Safety unless Brown or Sample can show otherwise.

House? Hype?
Quote:House? Hype?

Clearly he was are biggest FA signing
You haven't heard all the hype?  Where have you been? 
Isn't House on the cover of the new Madden?

Quote:Isn't House on the cover of the new Madden?

Oh, THAT House? 

I thought we were talking about the TV show.
Tell you what.....I'm very comfortable with what we have going into the training camp/preseason/season.

It's waaaaaaayyyy beyond past years and I'm very happy to be a fan and watch this all unfold before me.
Quote:You haven't heard all the hype? Where have you been?

I'm obviously going to the wrong websites.
Davon House signed a four year $24.5 million contract with the Jaguars on March 12, 2015. House received $10 million in guaranteed money. The guarantee consists of his 2015 salary and roster bonus plus $3.5 million of his 2016 salary.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/

I was refering to the 5th highest paid Jaguar.

Weakest position: QB currently.

Luckily he was a rookie and I think he can make significant strides in year 2. Because of the importance of the positon, I think it had to be the pick.

Strongest position: TE
To be fair Blake Bortles didnt have the numbers to suggest he is a strength on the team at a position of grave importance, but (excuse time) he had one of the worst olines in the NFL, all young rookie injured WRs (with the exception of Cecil whom is now a Texan) and his running backs (slowby) was dismal at best.   His TE Lewis got injured and Harbor never played as many of us fans had hoped.  He was told that he would sit on the bench all year and learn behind Chad Henne (who really beleived that would occur)?  

I hope it was just his rookie year and all the circumstances around him that led to his stats and that he really shows us why his the franchise QB this year with receiving threats like Thomas to throw to and hopefully a good running game from Yeldon, D-Rob, and/or Gratz.

Quote:To be fair Blake Bortles didnt have the numbers to suggest he is a strength on the team at a position of grave importance, but (excuse time) he had one of the worst olines in the NFL, all young rookie injured WRs (with the exception of Cecil whom is now a Texan) and his running backs (slowby) was dismal at best.   His TE Lewis got injured and Harbor never played as many of us fans had hoped.  He was told that he would sit on the bench all year and learn behind Chad Henne (who really beleived that would occur)?  

I hope it was just his rookie year and all the circumstances around him that led to his stats and that he really shows us why his the franchise QB this year with receiving threats like Thomas to throw to and hopefully a good running game from Yeldon, D-Rob, and/or Gratz.
I remain hopeful where Bortles is concerned, although (as you pointed out) things didn't go so well for him last season. Nevertheless, I don't see how anyone could ignore the lack of help he had from his line, rookie receivers for the most part, little help from his TE's, and a sporadic running game at best. Seriously, I think an experienced elite level QB would struggle under the same circumstances... and oh yes, let us not forget than that last season was his first season in the NFL also... a season we were told repeatedly that he wouldn't play in. 

So to be fair, given the (somewhat) improved roster and a year of experience under the belt, I expect this season will give us a little better picture of what we may expect from BB2. We'll see.
Weakest link on offense: Center. This is especially true if Bowanko wins the job.

Weakest link on defense: I'll stick with FS due to how awful that position was last year.

FS is a concern until someone actually steps up and wins the position.

You have to get past the point where you pick your starter based on being least liable of the group.

Quote:I remain hopeful where Bortles is concerned, although (as you pointed out) things didn't go so well for him last season. Nevertheless, I don't see how anyone could ignore the lack of help he had from his line, rookie receivers for the most part, little help from his TE's, and a sporadic running game at best. Seriously, I think an experienced elite level QB would struggle under the same circumstances... and oh yes, let us not forget than that last season was his first season in the NFL also... a season we were told repeatedly that he wouldn't play in. 

So to be fair, given the (somewhat) improved roster and a year of experience under the belt, I expect this season will give us a little better picture of what we may expect from BB2. We'll see.

According to ESPN via NFL.com from Blake Bortles:

"My arm kind of deteriorated during the season," Bortles said at the start of Jacksonville's voluntary off season conditioning program, according to ESPN.com. "It didn't affect anything. It was just, I think, a product of throwing for two years straight without any break.  "Took some time off, let it heal, and then went kind of (to seek) out some proper mechanics on how to make it never hurt again." -BB

"A little bit leaner," Bortles said. "I guess I was, when I left here, I was probably, I don't know, I was kind of fat."

-------------------------------------

His body fat went from 17 to 10 so far he is in better shape than when he was a rookie.  Hopefully we will see a way better Blake this year than last.
I don't know about you but I hype up my house all the time its a castle mansion.
Offense:

Strength: TE

Weakness: QB or OL. They are both dependent on each other. The necessary moves were made to improve the offensive line. I hope it was enough.

Defense:

Strength: D-Line, although this group wont be as strong as last season's with a questionable Marks.

Weakness: Hard to choose between LB and S, but having Telvin and Poz makes it easier to choose both Safety positions. Cyp better step up this season.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthchart?team=JAC

Not only Marks injury, and Roy Miller's injury from last season but Big Red being replaced by Odrick at LE hopefully he can play as good as Bryant or better but Big Red brought a lot of leadership and raised the competition on the line.

I am hoping Bennett surprises us all at DT too, I still would put the DLine as the strength on defense if for no other reason than the great underrated Dline coach Todd Wash!

I guess a player to watch is DL Ryan Davis according to PFF, ESPN, Rotoworld, sports talk florida, CBS, and others...
[Image: giphy.gif]

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/21/best-pa...ell-mcphee
scroll to the bottom
--------------------
John Oehser of the Jaguars' official website expects DL Ryan Davis to remain a key part of the team's interior pass rush.
Davis is coming off a 6.5-sack, breakout season and can rush the passer from the traditional end spot, play the Leo, and push the pocket from the inside. He does most of his damage from the interior, as he recorded PFF's second-highest pass-rush score from the defensive tackle spot in 2014, behind only Nick Fairley. Even with Jared Odrick's signing, Davis' snaps should only increase. Apr 14 - 10:39 PM
-RotoWorld
---------------------------------
http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...api_public
Ryan Davis is among the best players in the NFL that can rush the passer from multiple gaps. writes SI.com's Doug Farrar. Davis had 6.5 sacks, five quarterback hits, and 13 quarterback hurries in just 310 snaps in 2014. In addition, his Pass Rushing Productivity numbers, which is a stat developed by Pro Football Focus, both inside (9.5) and outside (11.1) rank among the top 10 in the NFL.
---------------------
fantasynews.<b>cbss</b>ports.com/.../<b>jaguars</b>-sign-de-<b>ryan</b>-<b>davis</b>
http://blackandteal.com/2015/05/22/ryan-...n-the-nfl/

But Babich pointed out that the Browns double-teamed Davis when he was lined up as a tackle and he was still able to record a tackle for a loss.
"He's surprising because height, weight and speed, you'd say he'd be not quite the speed that you need, the height that you're looking for," coach Gus Bradley said. "But he plays really fast."

Quote: 

<div>I guess a player to watch is DL Ryan Davis according to PFF, ESPN, Rotoworld, sports talk florida, CBS, and others...
[Image: giphy.gif]

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/21/best-pa...ell-mcphee
scroll to the bottom
--------------------
John Oehser of the Jaguars' official website expects DL Ryan Davis to remain a key part of the team's interior pass rush.
Davis is coming off a 6.5-sack, breakout season and can rush the passer from the traditional end spot, play the Leo, and push the pocket from the inside. He does most of his damage from the interior, as he recorded PFF's second-highest pass-rush score from the defensive tackle spot in 2014, behind only Nick Fairley. Even with Jared Odrick's signing, Davis' snaps should only increase. Apr 14 - 10:39 PM
-RotoWorld
---------------------------------
http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...api_public
Ryan Davis is among the best players in the NFL that can rush the passer from multiple gaps. writes SI.com's Doug Farrar. Davis had 6.5 sacks, five quarterback hits, and 13 quarterback hurries in just 310 snaps in 2014. In addition, his Pass Rushing Productivity numbers, which is a stat developed by Pro Football Focus, both inside (9.5) and outside (11.1) rank among the top 10 in the NFL.
---------------------
fantasynews.<b>cbss</b>ports.com/.../<b>jaguars</b>-sign-de-<b>ryan</b>-<b>davis</b>
http://blackandteal.com/2015/05/22/ryan-...n-the-nfl/

But Babich pointed out that the Browns double-teamed Davis when he was lined up as a tackle and he was still able to record a tackle for a loss.
"He's surprising because height, weight and speed, you'd say he'd be not quite the speed that you need, the height that you're looking for," coach Gus Bradley said. "But he plays really fast."

</div>
It would be nice to see him take his game to the next level. Players haven't done that very often around here for the past 6-7 seasons it seems.

Marks is like the only one in recent history I can recall.
Pages: 1 2