Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has the Internet dumbed down America?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is it a blessing or a curse?

I'm torn. In the end will it be a curse? No creative thinking? Machine rule? Power given to terrorist groups? Too much relying on it...banking, power gride,etc.

Or

View the world as never before? Research help? Contacting others? Convenience. Communication. And what would some do without Facebook.
On your points:

1. The internet doesn't make people be lazy.  People choose to be lazy.

2. What is wrong with cut & paste?

3. How does having more information make you more naive?

4. A curse as opposed to what?  It's pretty clear we're not here on Earth just to act like animals.

5. Internet doesn't stop people from thinking creatively

6. Machine Rule is pretty much 100% going to happen.  But who is to say that is a bad thing, or a mistake.

7. I don't know what "power" is given to terrorism since everyone is on the internet.

8. Any civilization is reliant on itself

(okay I'm not even sure what you are talking about after that part)

Quote:Is it a blessing or a curse?

I'm torn. In the end will it be a curse? No creative thinking? Machine rule? Power given to terrorist groups? Too much relying on it...banking, power gride,etc.

Or

View the world as never before? Research help? Contacting others? Convenience. Communication. And what would some do without Facebook.
It's both. I went with choice two, but I wanted to go with choice two and three.
Lazy people are going to find ways to be lazy.. Take away the internet and they'll find another way..
Quote:Lazy people are going to find ways to be lazy.. Take away the internet and they'll find another way..

Bingo.

The Internet has proven to be a tremendous asset to our society.  It has changed the way we shop, get our news, and live our daily lives.  If people have gotten lazier, it's not the fault of the Internet. 
Quote:Is it a blessing or a curse?

Or

When I read the title I immediately thought 'yes.' I mean people are helpless without it. The internet renders years of experience as maybe equal to a post I found.

It is a blessing, but its also a curse. Now your doctor isn't an expert because webmd has a disease that you have some symptoms of and your sure you got it. His years of medical training/residency/ and experience are brought into question for no other reason than you read something online and came into his office with a preconceived idea. Thats not only taking away your ability to think critically (by predisposing you to a certain outcome), but also ruining trust in a individual who spent years training for something based on a 2 minute google search.

But at the same time, it also gives us unprecedented access to information. We just don't always know what to do with it. Now I can find out if I am really getting a 'deal' on that car. I can read ratings of different companies and have an idea what they are like (although you have to take this with a grain of salt even now, as many companies specialize in gaming these kind of things).

So its a mixed bag. Just like the people who make it. Take it for what it is.
America never needed help any dumbing down.. implying it was at some intellectual peak before the internet arrived is silly.

So, blank #2. Is that still a thing on this board?

I don't know about you guys, but the internet has prevented me from spreading misinformation one quick google search at a time.

So it's made at least one guy a bit more informed, if not, unfortunately, more intelligent.

Quote:On your points:

1. The internet doesn't make people be lazy.  People choose to be lazy.

2. What is wrong with cut & paste?

3. How does having more information make you more naive?

4. A curse as opposed to what?  It's pretty clear we're not here on Earth just to act like animals.

5. Internet doesn't stop people from thinking creatively

6. Machine Rule is pretty much 100% going to happen.  But who is to say that is a bad thing, or a mistake.

7. I don't know what "power" is given to terrorism since everyone is on the internet.

8. Any civilization is reliant on itself

(okay I'm not even sure what you are talking about after that part)

What I meant by cut n paste is that some get a " news flash" and immediately forward it. How many times have these tidbits of information, accusations or presumptions proved false.

I'm with the blessing and curse. The laziness comes from the lack of critical thinking, research, double checking.

Yet, it is a blessing. My FF league is so much easier to run without having to wait till Mondays paper and manually calculating scores. I'm much too lazy to do that now.

As far as " we're not here on earth to act like animals" ? I wish that message would get out.
Quote:America never needed help any dumbing down.. implying it was at some intellectual peak before the internet arrived is silly.

So, blank #2. Is that still a thing on this board?
This. And we be just getting dummerer as the US is ranked 28th in the world scholastically .  

At least with access to the interwebs, the average US HS grad has a shot at calculating the area of a circle or knowing the difference between fission and fusion.

Quote:What I meant by cut n paste is that some get a " news flash" and immediately forward it. How many times have these tidbits of information, accusations or presumptions proved false.

That's why I fact check everything certain people post here. I'm even guilty of not double checking in the past.
Quote:That's why I fact check everything certain people post here. I'm even guilty of not double checking in the past.
Yeah, that's always a good thing to do.  I'm sure most of us have gotten burned a time or two by not doing a little extra research.
Yes.  Everyone seems to think anything posted is the absolute, unassailable truth if it's posted on the web, no matter how outlandish.  Now the fact that congress is controlled by alien puppet masters via micro-technology implanted on their sphincters is obvious, but most of that other stuff is clearly bull crap.

I wouldn't say it has dumbed down America, nor has made us significantly more lazy. Maybe "sedentary" is better way of putting it. For people that are excessive about it, there are the issues of not getting any exercise. For inquisitive minds, the internet can be a wealth of answers, and can enhance a person's knowledge and stimulate further brain activity. Or, the internet can feed selfish desires and be used merely for consumption.

What I see being a more critical issue, are the social implications for our society. You know...when you're out at a social function and no one looks up from the smartphone to acknowledge anyone else. When a family is eating dinner and everyone, including parents, are on their cell phones. When people are more interested in making a post about something they are doing, rather than actually doing it. It's as if technology, and especially the internet, have in many ways freed people to become independent of others, and allowed them to pursue a world of their own online, that caters only to their demands.
Quote:I wouldn't say it has dumbed down America, nor has made us significantly more lazy. Maybe "sedentary" is better way of putting it. For people that are excessive about it, there are the issues of not getting any exercise. For inquisitive minds, the internet can be a wealth of answers, and can enhance a person's knowledge and stimulate further brain activity. Or, the internet can feed selfish desires and be used merely for consumption.

What I see being a more critical issue, are the social implications for our society. You know...when you're out at a social function and no one looks up from the smartphone to acknowledge anyone else. When a family is eating dinner and everyone, including parents, are on their cell phones. When people are more interested in making a post about something they are doing, rather than actually doing it. It's as if technology, and especially the internet, have in many ways freed people to become independent of others, and allowed them to pursue a world of their own online, that caters only to their demands.

It has dumbed down people in general (not just here in 'Merica) in the sense that people are so gullible I think they'd believe an article that told them that their big toe is a mutation that was destined to run for president.  I wish I was kidding.  Really, I do.
From my experience, it's more of a case of America dumbing down the internet.

Quote:From my experience, it's more of a case of America dumbing down the internet.

To me it seems to be more a case of America dumbing down America, the internet just happens to be around now, so it's just gets factored in to it.
I don't know about the internet dumbing America down, but twitter sure has brought out more then its fair share of dumb people.

Quote:I don't know about the internet dumbing America down, but twitter sure has brought out more then it's fair share of dumb people.
It has exposed them yes. They've always been there. Always have, always will.

Quote:When I read the title I immediately thought 'yes.' I mean people are helpless without it. The internet renders years of experience as maybe equal to a post I found.

It is a blessing, but its also a curse. Now your doctor isn't an expert because webmd has a disease that you have some symptoms of and your sure you got it. His years of medical training/residency/ and experience are brought into question for no other reason than you read something online and came into his office with a preconceived idea. Thats not only taking away your ability to think critically (by predisposing you to a certain outcome), but also ruining trust in a individual who spent years training for something based on a 2 minute google search.

But at the same time, it also gives us unprecedented access to information. We just don't always know what to do with it. Now I can find out if I am really getting a 'deal' on that car. I can read ratings of different companies and have an idea what they are like (although you have to take this with a grain of salt even now, as many companies specialize in gaming these kind of things).

So its a mixed bag. Just like the people who make it. Take it for what it is.
Not to mention that all the information is not entirely accurate and some is just down right BS. Some information you find is half true, or has a sprinkle of truth in a pile of bs..Some information is old and outdated...You can find information to counter any claim made by anyone.. The internet has made it so much more convenient for life in general including new technology that makes it to where you don't have to put forth much effort to do anything...

speak and it types your words, no typing or grammar skills required

watch video and tv on your phone...sure that's cool and all but is that really a necessity? Everyone has flat screen HD tv but you MUST watch movies and video on your phone...

If you misspell a word either auto correct fixes it or turns it into something not even remotley close...at the very least, it lets you know you misspelled something

all the acronyms make me feel as if I'm back in the Navy

there is a great benefit from the internet, but as with everything, it has drawbacks...Kids today don't even know how to address an envelope to mail from the Post Office, nor do they know how to write in cursive (not required to know in Pa. because they have a font for that), they don't even know how to look something up in the phone book...The internet has taken a lot of curriculum out of schools because if they want or need to know something that we were taught in school, all they have to do is a quick web search.. 
Pages: 1 2 3