Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Man arrested after "saving" dog from hot car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nati.../27153999/

Thoughts on this? Personally, if the guy is going to destroy someone elses property, I think he should be able to prove a) how hot it was, b) how long the dog owner was away from her car. If I leave my dog in my car for 10 min on a 75 degree day, it shouldn't give Joe Blow free reign to smash out my car windows.

It's it is longer and/or hotter, then it starts becoming more logical, but no definitive time/temperatures have been reported (to my knowledge).

Well, he didn't have reign to break the window, as he was charged in the incident. So, I'm not sure what your argument is. Also, he mentioned understanding that he'd be responsible before he did it, suggesting he deemed the situation dire.
People do this all the time, or they call the police to do it for them. It isn't illegal to lock a dog inside the car. If it's 80 degrees, then it doesn't hit 100 until about 15 minutes (in the sun). It wouldn't be dangerous until 20+ minutes. That vehicle was parked in the shade and it was only 5 minutes from the time the driver left to the time the person smashed the windows. 

If you are that concerned, there are better options to take

Good work on his part. Never lock you dog in a hot car.

I trust the police to figure it out in cases like this. Sure people shouldn't break windows, but people also shouldn't lock living creatures in hot vehicles. It's all about respect, respect for life and respect for property. No one seems to have respect anymore.

I see why he got arrested, but it really sucks for the guy.  We were at a restaurant at the town center and a lady had a husky in a car in the middle of summer.  She may have been running in for take out, but it was well over 30 minutes before she came.

We actually did call the police and nobody showed up until the lady was long gone.  We were watching the dog making sure it didnt lay down or pass out.  If it had gotten to that situation, I would have done something.

You're a bad person if you're dumb enough to leave your dog (let alone the complete idiots who do it to their kid) in the car on a day above 70 degrees.  It still gets really hot in there.

It was 80 degrees, and you never know how long the dog had been there.  Maybe it's only 5 minutes, but for all the man knew it could've been twenty.  The police probably wouldn't have charged him if the owner of the car didn't insist.  

When we had a dog, we never took him with us unless we were taking him to the vet.  And we'd never go anywhere else if we had to go to the vet.  That'd always be a special trip.  Don't get why people take their dog with them, and leave them in the car.  

Quote:Well, he didn't have reign to break the window, as he was charged in the incident. So, I'm not sure what your argument is. Also, he mentioned understanding that he'd be responsible before he did it, suggesting he deemed the situation dire.

The vast majority of places I've seen report this (and comments on it) commend the guy and villianize the dog owner. If she was only gone for 10-15 minutes, I have no sympathy for the criminal who busted out her windows.
Quote:The vast majority of places I've seen report this (and comments on it) commend the guy and villianize the dog owner. If she was only gone for 10-15 minutes, I have no sympathy for the criminal who busted out her windows.

And how does the man know how long she was gone for?  For all he knew, she was in there for an hour.  
Quote:Don't get why people take their dog with them, and leave them in the car.  

Dogs really enjoy it. My lab loves to ride in the car, and takes pride in defending it while I'm gone. So far not a single stray cat has succeeded in stealing my car.

One has to be careful not to leave pets in a car on a warm sunny day. If that's the case then I just leave the dog at home. No sense taking a chance even if I 'know' I'll only be in the store a few minutes.

Quote:And how does the man know how long she was gone for?  For all he knew, she was in there for an hour.  

That's always the big question.

UCF Knight has the best answer, call the police, watch the dog, and make sure it shows no signs of distress. Don't break the window unless you have to.

Quote:The vast majority of places I've seen report this (and comments on it) commend the guy and villianize the dog owner. If she was only gone for 10-15 minutes, I have no sympathy for the criminal who busted out her windows.

The big bad criminal that busted out the windows?  Seriously?

If she even left the dog in there for 5 minutes, she is the villain.
Quote:And how does the man know how long she was gone for?  For all he knew, she was in there for an hour.  

So he should be able to destroy someone's property without knowing? Makes sense.
Quote:The big bad criminal that busted out the windows?  Seriously?

If she even left the dog in there for 5 minutes, she is the villain.

How does this make any sense? The dog would be fine in the car for 5 minutes. Don't be silly.
Quote:Dogs really enjoy it. My lab loves to ride in the car, and takes pride in defending it while I'm gone. So far not a single stray cat has succeeded in stealing my car.

One has to be careful not to leave pets in a car on a warm sunny day. If that's the case then I just leave the dog at home. No sense taking a chance even if I 'know' I'll only be in the store a few minutes.

Never let your guard down. Cats are the devil.

She's an irresponsible idiot, and of that there is no doubt. An animal should never be left in a car with the windows up, because one never really can be sure of a return time. She could have suffered a medical episode, and awoke in an ambulance or hospital hoping some person like this gentleman comes by and rescues her dog.

And I still don't understand your issue. You're going on as if this was some great miscarriage of justice, but the guy was charged and even accepted responsibility.
Quote:How does this make any sense? The dog would be fine in the car for 5 minutes. Don't be silly.

Again, the guy that did it had no clue how long the dog was alone in the car.  If the dog looked lethargic, more power to him.  He even said before he did it he would take responsibility.

There needs to be laws passed about leaving animals in cars. 

Edit:  I am by no means an animal rights activist, but this is all common sense.  Sadly some laws have to be put in place because there's a small minority of people that are too stupid to comprehend simple things.

Quote:There needs to be laws passed about leaving animals in cars. 

I think most states already have strict penalties for animal cruelty.

Quote:She could have suffered a medical episode, and awoke in an ambulance or hospital hoping some person like this gentleman comes by and rescues her dog.

You can't expect people to live their lives worrying about passing out at the wrong time, else no one would drive.

Pages: 1 2