Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Good Problem to Have?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It is customary for me to anticipate the biggest needs the Jaguars have going into the upcoming season so I can get a look a the players in college who could potentially fit those needs.

However, in considering this at this very early stage of the offseason, I soon realized it was somewhat difficult for me to do that right now.

It was difficult because I think Caldwell has done such a good job the last two drafts at filling needs and getting value with draft picks, in addition to being active this past free agency period, there don't appear to be any glaring needs on this team at the moment.

Perhaps you could argue LT is a need, but it would still be premature, considering this is the first real offseason Joeckel has had to develop.  Given the time and the health for a "normal" offseason, he has put on weight and apparently has added strength.  Maybe that will translate in better play from him.  It's possible RB is a need if Yeldon somehow busts, but I don't see that happening with him.  If neither Brown nor Evans nor Sample does anything, then maybe FS persists at the top of the needs list.

But I think the players this team has added have, as a general rule, shown enough promise to reasonably consider perpetual holes at WR, QB, DE fixed-for now-without being presumptuous about it.

Of course, this interpretation is subject to change/revision, but what do you guys and gals think?  Are there no longer any glaring holes on the roster from your perspectives?

There are no glaring holes in the roster that I know of.  However, it is highly unlikely that all the new players we have acquired will perform as well as we hope.   Therefore, it is highly likely that there are holes in the roster that we are not yet aware of.  

I've been looking at mocks and prospects too and feel the exact same way.  It's really hard to say what our biggest need will be.  There are some questionable spots where the player may not pan out, but they easily could solidify that spot too.  Caldwell did such a good job of addressing each position, that it's nearly impossible to mock anyone.

No glaring holes but more youth along the defensive front 7 would be nice.
FS, until we see the fruits off the draft or free agency pan out, is still a glaring hole, imo.

MLB is next in line.

That o-line, that allowed glaring holes for pass rushers last year, will remain a huge concern in my mind until i see it fixed on the field.  It's nice to add names on paper, but will they perform?  This is huge for the team.

Quote:It is customary for me to anticipate the biggest needs the Jaguars have going into the upcoming season so I can get a look a the players in college who could potentially fit those needs.

However, in considering this at this very early stage of the offseason, I soon realized it was somewhat difficult for me to do that right now.

It was difficult because I think Caldwell has done such a good job the last two drafts at filling needs and getting value with draft picks, in addition to being active this past free agency period, there don't appear to be any glaring needs on this team at the moment.

Perhaps you could argue LT is a need, but it would still be premature, considering this is the first real offseason Joeckel has had to develop.  Given the time and the health for a "normal" offseason, he has put on weight and apparently has added strength.  Maybe that will translate in better play from him.  It's possible RB is a need if Yeldon somehow busts, but I don't see that happening with him.  If neither Brown nor Evans nor Sample does anything, then maybe FS persists at the top of the needs list.

But I think the players this team has added have, as a general rule, shown enough promise to reasonably consider perpetual holes at WR, QB, DE fixed-for now-without being presumptuous about it.

Of course, this interpretation is subject to change/revision, but what do you guys and gals think?  Are there no longer any glaring holes on the roster from your perspectives?

If you view it optimistically? No, there's not a lot of holes. But realistically?

QB - Bortles is still a question mark, despite the promise

RB - Unproven rookie RB

WR - 3 2nd year WR and a rookie WR

TE - Solid starter/depth with Thomas/Lewis

LT - Luke is a ?, but promising with increased strength

LG - Beadles is OK, plus depth with Cann possibly even pushing him

C - Good possibility/depth

RG - Linder should be good

RT - Pernell is very much a question mark, never having started a full season

DE - Clemons is 34, Branch coming off groin surgery

DT - Marks is coming off ACL, Hood was underwhelming, and backup is a 6th round "steal" in Bennett.

DT - Miller is coming off injury, but should be fine with Jones behind him. Not great, but OK

DE - Odrick should be an upgrade over Red, and we retained Tyson. So another oK position.

LB - Solid starters, but depth is questionable.

FS - Brown has limited starts, Evans is a SS, and Sample is inexperienced at FS.

CB - Good starters and depth.

Truthfully, we have more "promise" than "production" filling our "needs"
I think the difference is the pot holes have been mostly filled.  May still be a little rough in places, but still navigable.

Quote:There are no glaring holes in the roster that I know of.  However, it is highly unlikely that all the new players we have acquired will perform as well as we hope.   Therefore, it is highly likely that there are holes in the roster that we are not yet aware of.  
I agree with this.

With this in mind, which of the acquisitions are most likely to fail?

Though we are adding at least three different players to the OL-Parnell, Wiz, and Cann, I can't see all three not improving the OL from last year.

Parnell is a better athlete than any of the guys we had at RT last year, Cann offers more power than Beadles, who played better as the season progressed, and Wiz is bigger and more experienced than Bowanko.  If nothing else, we're deeper at the OL, but I have to believe we're more talented too.

If I had to guess...Skuta might show limitations.
Quote:If you view it optimistically? No, there's not a lot of holes. But realistically?

RB - Unproven rookie RB

DT - Marks is coming off ACL, Hood was underwhelming, and backup is a 6th round "steal" in Bennett.

DT - Miller is coming off injury, but should be fine with Jones behind him. Not great, but OK

DE - Odrick should be an upgrade over Red, and we retained Tyson. So another oK position.

FS - Brown has limited starts, Evans is a SS, and Sample is inexperienced at FS.

This is a sensible take and I can't disagree too much with this.

I still get the sense this roster is much better now than it was, and as such, there are no glaring holes at this point.

Yes, there is more promise than production at this stage, but I think with a year's experience for the 3 WRs and Bortles and better depth and talent along the OL, I see improvement as almost inevitable in the offense.

I think while there may not yet be all stars at every position, I don't think at this stage there are any cringe inducing spots on the roster.  I think THAT is where I am coming from.
Quote:I think the difference is the pot holes have been mostly filled.  May still be a little rough in places, but still navigable.

I literally laughed out loudly.  Colorful Pirk.
Top needs: 

1. MLB

2. DT

3. FS

Agreed with all, on paper not so holey, 'we soon shall see', as they say in the Islands.  For now:

LB depth

Safety stability

Oline productivity

QB legit?

And please Father God, no more significant injury

Quote:I agree with this.

With this in mind, which of the acquisitions are most likely to fail?

Though we are adding at least three different players to the OL-Parnell, Wiz, and Cann, I can't see all three not improving the OL from last year.

Parnell is a better athlete than any of the guys we had at RT last year, Cann offers more power than Beadles, who played better as the season progressed, and Wiz is bigger and more experienced than Bowanko.  If nothing else, we're deeper at the OL, but I have to believe we're more talented too.

If I had to guess...Skuta might show limitations.

The biggest question I see right now is at LT.   We still don't know about Joeckel.  

The next biggest question I would have is defensive tackle.  Both our starters ended last season with serious injuries. 

Then, after that, depth.   There are a lot of positions where injuries could cripple us.  Notably, at LB. 
Quote:This is a sensible take and I can't disagree too much with this.

I still get the sense this roster is much better now than it was, and as such, there are no glaring holes at this point.

Yes, there is more promise than production at this stage, but I think with a year's experience for the 3 WRs and Bortles and better depth and talent along the OL, I see improvement as almost inevitable in the offense.

I think while there may not yet be all stars at every position, I don't think at this stage there are any cringe inducing spots on the roster.  I think THAT is where I am coming from.

Yes, the roster is definitely improved. When you spend the money the team did in FA along with a top 5 selection in the draft (and a highly regarded one at that), that has to be expected. I just prefer not to think of it as "needs", because there's still very many question marks. And when you have still as many young guys out there, there's bound to be mistakes and inconsistencies that leads to an up and down game, much less up and down seasons.

I think a good word is "option".

A year ago and even before, when we had injuries, we really had no "options". It was undrafted or waiver wire that plugged the hole. Now, despite the unproven talent, there's few positions that have no "options".

I think LB is a pretty thin group with our starters being solid. But even then, Fortt and Jeremiah were 4th and 5th round picks themselves that somehow landed in the waiver wire and in our roster. Other than that, I'd say WR just because how young that entire unit is. I mean, Ace essentially is our veteran and he has his own uphill climb.

Rest I feel pretty comfortable that barring injuries hitting the same unit hard, we shouldn't have to resort to undrafted/waiver wire route as we had in the past.
Quote:If you view it optimistically? No, there's not a lot of holes. But realistically?

RB - Unproven rookie RB

i agree with your list except for Julius Thomas is better than just being a solid starter at tight end. He's a 2 time probowler, 24 td's in the last 2 years and imo is the third best tight end in all of NFL. 
Bortles and the LEO are question marks
Quote:No glaring holes but more youth along the defensive front 7 would be nice.

Linebacker is the worst group by far. Telvin smith could wind up being awesome but we can't bet on that yet. Who knows what poz is gonna give us. One guy goes down we are in trouble in that area.
We are not through at LB
Injuries and age along the Dline scares me for the future of our D. I'm not one who just expects a 6 foot something, 300 pound man to tear his knee and come back as the same player he was a year ago. I'm not sure Marks ever makes it back to where he was, and I'll be shocked if he makes a big impact this year. Roy Miller has been banged up. God forbid Jared Odrick gets hurt.

I think youth and depth along both lines will be a priority for the team this next offseason.
Pages: 1 2 3