Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Legion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Please tell me at least one other person here has watched this besides me? FX is killing it here lately between this show and Taboo (which I ironically watch on BBC One).

Needless to say, I went into this show expecting one thing and came away from the first episode pleasantly surprised by the direction thus far.

It should be noted, Legion's comic book debut was among the first comic books I ever read (I was 8 at the time it dropped) so I'm pretty well versed in his actual back story and history. Obviously, there are going to be differences and honestly, being a dorky purist I thought those would bother me but this was so well done (to me) that I didn't even think about it until writing this post.
I've been waiting for one recommendation.
Quote:I've been waiting for one recommendation.

Based on what I've picked up from you over the years, I'm sure you'll like it.
Quote:Please tell me at least one other person here has watched this besides me? FX is killing it here lately between this show and Taboo (which I ironically watch on BBC One).

Needless to say, I went into this show expecting one thing and came away from the first episode pleasantly surprised by the direction thus far.

It should be noted, Legion's comic book debut was among the first comic books I ever read (I was 8 at the time it dropped) so I'm pretty well versed in his actual back story and history. Obviously, there are going to be differences and honestly, being a dorky purist I thought those would bother me but this was so well done (to me) that I didn't even think about it until writing this post.
Okay, so I had no plan to watch this until either I go to a friend's house and catch up on it with DVR, hope it comes out on Netflix or Amazon. I didn't even know what it was until I saw all the spots for it during the Super Bowl. Soooo..... I found it online and had to watch it and dang. What a show. I don't know jack about Legion so I went to IMDB to get a synopsis because I was totally confused while watching it. I'll have to watch it again now that I know a little more. 

I didn't even recognize Dan Stevens at first. Dude has lost a bunch of weight from his Downton Abbey days. I have his movie, The Guest, in my queue to watch on Netflix and I thought he looked kind of skinny in the picture for it but- wow. I only thought it was him in Legion because of his eyes. Like, I had to pause the show and go to IMDB and look it up. Not many people have eyes quite like his. I think this is a show I will like very much.
His ability to speak via facial expressions really made me take notice. He would have made a phenomenal silent movie star.

I didn't know who he was before this. Surprisingly (and despite my general affinity for British TV), I'd never wathe Downton Abbey. I'm more of a Faulty Towers/Are You Being Served guy. I think I'm going to have to check this out now.

In any case, I'm glad you liked it. I can definitely see how it'd be confusing. The characer, by definition l, is incredibly confusing but once you accept that about Haller, everything else just sort of falls into place.
Quote:Based on what I've picked up from you over the years, I'm sure you'll like it.

I'm sure I'll like it, I have to catch up on The Americans first though Smile
Quote:His ability to speak via facial expressions really made me take notice. He would have made a phenomenal silent movie star.

I didn't know who he was before this. Surprisingly (and despite my general affinity for British TV), I'd never wathe Downton Abbey. I'm more of a Faulty Towers/Are You Being Served guy. I think I'm going to have to check this out now.

In any case, I'm glad you liked it. I can definitely see how it'd be confusing. The characer, by definition l, is incredibly confusing but once you accept that about Haller, everything else just sort of falls into place.
His character in Legion is obviously very different than on DA. Like a 180 on steriods. I liked him well enough on DA but wasn't blown away being as it was the only thing I'd ever seen him in. Watching Legion has totally changed my opinion. Dude has some skills. And you're right about his facial expressions. They seem more pronounced than on DA but that could be because his face is a lot leaner as well as his character being so different.  I can't wait to see how this plays out. 

Saying all this I need to make sure I watch The Guest tonight. I think he's a shady character in that one.
Diggin it.
Quote:I'm sure I'll like it, I have to catch up on The Americans first though Smile
Thanks to you I realized the new season is out on Amazon. Thanks! I watched episode one of S4 last night. I could binge the whole season in a day but I make myself watch one and be done until at least the next day.
There are people who are complaining that it's too hard to follow. The thing is, they're showing it in the way that David's mind works and thinks which is very disjointed. I actually can follow it pretty well because my mind works somewhat the same. If I don't take my meds my brain is scattered like a broken glass. It sucks but it is what it is. ADD and the other stuff I have is bad enough, I couldn't imagine having, or in his case thinking he has, schizophrenia with or without paranoid delusions. It would be cool to live in a world where what is 'wrong' with me is actually some sort of power. 

Quote:There are people who are complaining that it's too hard to follow. The thing is, they're showing it in the way that David's mind works and thinks which is very disjointed. I actually can follow it pretty well because my mind works somewhat the same. If I don't take my meds my brain is scattered like a broken glass. It sucks but it is what it is. ADD and the other stuff I have is bad enough, I couldn't imagine having, or in his case thinking he has, schizophrenia with or without paranoid delusions. It would be cool to live in a world where what is 'wrong' with me is actually some sort of power.

I can see that. I had to stop the stream and explain things to my other half three times this past week and twice during the premier. I can't say that I necessarily follow David's trains if thought. The key for me is to soak everything in as its happening and attempt to process it when the scene is over. So far, I've been able to keep up and make sense of most of what's happening.

In my case, it also helps that Dan is so expressive.I'm an empath by nature and while I don't proclaim to understand everything he's thinking, I am able to pick up on what he's feeling to use as a filter of sorts.

I don't know how much you've read about David Haller since we started this tbread but there's one thing I'm waiting for them to clarify before they move too far forward. They kind of alluded to it in the premier when he was in the interrogation room and again when he was in the pool. If you want clarity on that and/or hero to avoid the possibility of spoilers, PM me if you're so inclined.
Quote:I can see that. I had to stop the stream and explain things to my other half three times this past week and twice during the premier. I can't say that I necessarily follow David's trains if thought. The key for me is to soak everything in as its happening and attempt to process it when the scene is over. So far, I've been able to keep up and make sense of most of what's happening.

In my case, it also helps that Dan is so expressive.I'm an empath by nature and while I don't proclaim to understand everything he's thinking, I am able to pick up on what he's feeling to use as a filter of sorts.

I don't know how much you've read about David Haller since we started this tbread but there's one thing I'm waiting for them to clarify before they move too far forward. They kind of alluded to it in the premier when he was in the interrogation room and again when he was in the pool. If you want clarity on that and/or hero to avoid the possibility of spoilers, PM me if you're so inclined.

I am loving Dan in this role. I'm seriously impressed. I have read a tiny bit about David Haller but don't want to be spoiled too badly. I do understand why he is called Legion. Other than that I don't know anything. If you have some interesting info feel free to PM me. I am also an empath which drives me nuts more often than not. My husband is as well to an extent. Makes for an interesting marriage from time to time. Lol
Quote:I am loving Dan in this role. I'm seriously impressed. I have read a tiny bit about David Haller but don't want to be spoiled too badly. I do understand why he is called Legion. Other than that I don't know anything. If you have some interesting info feel free to PM me. I am also an empath which drives me nuts more often than not. My husband is as well to an extent. Makes for an interesting marriage from time to time. Lol

Seeing as how you know how he got his codename, you probably picked up on the same cues I did in the premier then and we're probably on the same page. Once again it's all about the eyes and the looks he gives at certain times...;-)
Episode 2 was much more straightforward.

I like the memory man.
Quote:Episode 2 was much more straightforward.

I like the memory man.
Me too. It appears they made him up for the TV show just like they did for Syd (although to be fair, Syd is pretty blatant Rogue proxy seeing as how they have very similar base powers).

The only thing I probably would have done differently would have been how Ptonomy interacted with David's memories. When you are as powerful as David is (as far as mutants go, only Franklin Richards is more powerful primarily because his mind isn't disjointed and he's always in complete control of all his powers) and your psyche is so...convoluted, the act of using his abilities should probably be very taxing when you consider some of the other, very powerful telepaths (such as Professor X, Emma Frost, Phoenix/Jean Grey and the Shadow King) typically struggle to get inside his mind whether he wants them to or not.

On a related aside, I'm seriously hoping for the Stepford Cukoos to make an appearance on the show. I doubt it would happen buy a guy can dream...lol.
Quote:Me too. It appears they made him up for the TV show just like they did for Syd (although to be fair, Syd is pretty blatant Rogue proxy seeing as how they have very similar base powers).

The only thing I probably would have done differently would have been how Ptonomy interacted with David's memories. When you are as powerful as David is (as far as mutants go, only Franklin Richards is more powerful primarily because his mind isn't disjointed and he's always in complete control of all his powers) and your psyche is so...convoluted, the act of using his abilities should probably be very taxing when you consider some of the other, very powerful telepaths (such as Professor X, Emma Frost, Phoenix/Jean Grey and the Shadow King) typically struggle to get inside his mind whether he wants them to or not.

On a related aside, I'm seriously hoping for the Stepford Cukoos to make an appearance on the show. I doubt it would happen buy a guy can dream...lol.

It seems like you know your stuff lol.

I had to pause the show and think to make sure Syd wasn't Rogue when I saw the gloves.
Quote:It seems like you know your stuff lol.

I had to pause the show and think to make sure Syd wasn't Rogue when I saw the gloves.
Well, I am a massive nerd. Always have been. Always will be. Hell, my avatar and my SN both allude to that. Ha! I've always walked the tightrope between seemingly opposed archetypes (jock/nerd just as one example among many).

I don't think they can use Rogue on the small screen...otherwise there would be no reason to use such a similar character. Then again, part of what Rogue does is part of David's specific mutation. The main difference is that despite her name, Rogue gives back what she takes. David does not (or specifically can't). So it's possible they could use her but decided not to for the aforementioned reason once they clarify David's powers fully (assuming they adhere to the canon).
Anyone watching this show right now cause this episode is pretty dam good so far.
Quote:Anyone watching this show right now cause this episode is pretty dam good so far.

I honestly didn't even know what day it came on.
Quote:I honestly didn't even know what day it came on.
I usually catch it on one of my movie apps the next day but I heard they were showing a teaser for Alien Convenant during the commercials.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5