Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fowler has signed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Per the Homepage:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...David Caldwell said.  'Negotiations with Dante’s representatives were ongoing prior to his injury last weekend and nothing has changed.  His attitude and spirit that he has shown recently are part of the reasons we selected him third overall.  He understands the process ahead of him and is willing to do the work.  He has a bright future ahead of him with the Jaguars and we look forward to him getting back on the field in 2016 and for many years to come
...'"

anyone word on the dollars? not that it can swing much

Quote:anyone word on the dollars? not that it can swing much

Should be the same as Blake's. 4 years, $20ish million with I think $13mil signing bonus
Quote:anyone word on the dollars? not that it can swing much

Carlyon is quoting FoxSports saying that it's a four-year deal worth $23.5 million, fully guaranteed and no offset language. Signing bonus of $15.3 million.
Per rotoworld

<p style="background-color:transparent;">Jaguars signed No. 3 overall pick DE Dante Fowler (knee surgery) to a four-year contract.

Despite last week's heartbreaking ACL tear, the Jags gave Fowler the maximum allowed under the NFL's slotting system. That means $23.5M fully guaranteed over the four years with a $15.3M signing bonus plus no offset language on the guaranteed money. As with all first-round picks the Jags will hold a fifth-year option on Fowler.
Good for the team for doing him right. And a $15 million signing bonus will help his rehab ☺.
Gutted about his injury, but his character and approach since getting it has really encouraged me. I still think he'll be a star
That would be dirty if they tried to change something because he got hurt at practice.  If he was out partying and jumped off a roof or something, then maybe...

I hope he can recover.  Not enough players have this kind of positive attitude.

Video interview with J.P. Shadrick is up.

I hope they had him in bubble rap for the signing.  We don't want that draft pick getting any more injured.  Safety pens, protective eye wear, and probably some sort of Kevlar body armor to assure they don't accidentally stab themselves during the process.  At least that's what the beat writers in Miami are saying the Dolphins are doing according to the friend of a friend of mine.

Quote:That would be dirty if they tried to change something because he got hurt at practice.  If he was out partying and jumped off a roof or something, then maybe...

I hope he can recover.  Not enough players have this kind of positive attitude.
He had signed the waiver, so nothing was going to change about the deal.

Now, you're right.  If he'd done something similar to what Blackmon did a few years back, then the team could have inserted language into the contract to protect themselves.  Short of putting a badger endorsed no practice clause in his deal, the contract should be pretty much boilerplate for the slot.
I am confused. How exactly does a franchise benefit from a player getting a GFE injury policy?

Quote:I hope they had him in bubble rap for the signing. We don't want that draft pick getting any more injured. Safety pens, protective eye wear, and probably some sort of Kevlar body armor to assure they don't accidentally stab themselves during the process. At least that's what the beat writers in Miami are saying the Dolphins are doing according to the friend of a friend of mine.

Don't forget paper cuts. Never downplay paper cuts!!

Owwweeeee!
Cool !!!   I thought he was going to hold out !!

Quote:I am confused. How exactly does a franchise benefit from a player getting a GFE injury policy?

Hey guys stroudcrowd1 is confused. Mark your calendars, this never happens. Btw, what the Jags are doing is the right thing--not sure how you could argue that.
Quote:I am confused. How exactly does a franchise benefit from a player getting a GFE injury policy?

Like with most any "contract" you get into, who benefits and in what way would depend on the language within the contract.
Quote:Like with most any "contract" you get into, who benefits and in what way would depend on the language within the contract.

But he wasn't under contract when he got hurt, right? I know he had some GFE insurance policy, but I didn't know how that translated to the Jaguars side of the table during contract negotiations. Essentially, he is getting a 4 year deal and only playing 3 years of it, right?

I am not bagging on the Jags giving him the deal, because not only was it the right thing to do, but clearly they didn't have a choice in the matter.
Quote:But he wasn't under contract when he got hurt, right? I know he had some GFE insurance policy, but I didn't know how that translated to the Jaguars side of the table during contract negotiations. Essentially, he is getting a 4 year deal and only playing 3 years of it, right?

I am not bagging on the Jags giving him the deal, because not only was it the right thing to do, but clearly they didn't have a choice in the matter.

Oehser keeps making the statement that this is SOP for unsigned rookies and it makes sense. I mean, even if you signed a guy and he totally destroyed his body to the point that he would never play again (Robert Edwards anyone?) you can still waive the guy as "injured".

Plus, the fact that they signed like this probably gets them lots of street cred when it comes to dealing in Free Agency.
Quote:I hope they had him in bubble rap for the signing.  We don't want that draft pick getting any more injured.  Safety pens, protective eye wear, and probably some sort of Kevlar body armor to assure they don't accidentally stab themselves during the process.  At least that's what the beat writers in Miami are saying the Dolphins are doing according to the friend of a friend of mine.

Ha, this really bothers you, doesn't it?

Quote:Don't forget paper cuts. Never downplay paper cuts!!

Owwweeeee!
You know what?  They really need to just do away with paper contracts all together and only do them electronically, and only using the least dangerous method possible.  No stylus or anything of the sort.  A simply "type your initials and date here" e-signature and be done with it.  Let the professionals who are comfortable handling paper deal with the risks. 
Pages: 1 2 3