Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sergio Brown vs. James Sample
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who do you think wins the FS spot when it's all said and done?

Btw, I really like the fact that Gus essentially wants all our safeties to be strong safeties so he can disguise coverages on the field.

Brown will start the year. Sample might take over later on in the year, depending on how Brown does and how he progresses.

Quote:Who do you think wins the FS spot when it's all said and done?

Btw, I really like the fact that Gus essentially wants all our safeties to be strong safeties so he can disguise coverages on the field.

I don't think it's that simple.  I think that Gus has realized how difficult it is to find an Earl Thomas for his defense and is adjusting his scheme to something that will work until he does have a FS with that kind of range and anticipation.  Having a FS that can act like a SS at times and at other times just pretend to play that role only to back off in coverage - seems a reasonable way to use what's available to stop-gap until you land that guy. (as they tried to with McCourty_

You can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't be trying this stunt had they been able to sign McCourty.  Just my speculation, but that's how I see it. 
Quote:I don't think it's that simple. I think that Gus has realized how difficult it is to find an Earl Thomas for his defense and is adjusting his scheme to something that will work until he does have a FS with that kind of range and anticipation. Having a FS that can act like a SS at times and at other times just pretend to play that role only to back off in coverage - seems a reasonable way to use what's available to stop-gap until you land that guy. (as they tried to with McCourty_

You can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't be trying this stunt had they been able to sign McCourty. Just my speculation, but that's how I see it.
The last player of Earl Thomas' skillset to be drafted at safety was Ed Reed. Very rare type of player. Earl Thomas is what makes that secondary so special.

I worry about Cyp being in coverage though. I expect Sample to win the FS job, and hopefully, Cyp improves by leaps and bounds. Otherwise, we will be drafting a safety next year, or signing one in free agency.
I remember reading that Brown almost kept the starting job last year while he was playing.

I still think people are sleeping on Sample's FS ability. He was the best cover safety in the NCAA and ran a 4.5.

However, if neither of the two really proves to be "the guy" I really wouldn't be surprised to see us push for Gipson next season
Quote:I remember reading that Brown almost kept the starting job last year while he was playing.

I still think people are sleeping on Sample's FS ability. He was the best cover safety in the NCAA and ran a 4.5.

However, if neither of the two really proves to be "the guy" I really wouldn't be surprised to see us push for Gipson next season

I hope you are right about the general consensus underrating Samples' cover skills.

If he can cover and ultimately prove to be a viable answer at FS, it could be huge for the defense. 

Alternatively, maybe he could push Cyprien to be better.
Quote:I don't think it's that simple.  I think that Gus has realized how difficult it is to find an Earl Thomas for his defense and is adjusting his scheme to something that will work until he does have a FS with that kind of range and anticipation.  Having a FS that can act like a SS at times and at other times just pretend to play that role only to back off in coverage - seems a reasonable way to use what's available to stop-gap until you land that guy. (as they tried to with McCourty_

You can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't be trying this stunt had they been able to sign McCourty.  Just my speculation, but that's how I see it. 

I don't know if I agree. A talent like McCourty doesn't always almost hit the market so they had to take a swing especially with all the cap space. Look at every guy they've brought in for the FS position. Josh Evans, Winston Guy, Sergio Brown, James Sample and now Desmond Cooper. All guys with size, strength and speed.

I think Gus is trying to find an Earl Thomas talent in a Richard Sherman body.
Quote:I remember reading that Brown almost kept the starting job last year while he was playing.

not to discredit sergio but his competition was laron landry if I remember correctly, winning the job from him is not a feat.
Guy was not fast. He was basically a linebacker playing safety. As a gator fan, I watched Evans every game he started. He was solid, but he wasn't fast either. I haven't watched enough of Brown to know if he is any good. He is fast on paper at least. Sample looks good on paper as well but, like Yeldon, the scouting reports on him are all over the map.

If "all said and done" is this upcoming season, then it's Brown. If it means the likely long term starter, I'd say Sample.

Give me Sergio for now. Sample has to transition back, seems like a project for now. Sergio has experience back there, while he may not be the best FS, hopefully it allows Cyp to play his position better. 

Dez Cooper is one of the players signed from camp and is a hell of a safety.  Kid runs a 4.4 and lit it up at Wake, then UNC Charlotte.  Also he grew up in Jax.  Look out for him to be a cinderella story.

Quote:Give me Sergio for now. Sample has to transition back, seems like a project for now. Sergio has experience back there, while he may not be the best FS, hopefully it allows Cyp to play his position better. 

Give me camp to decide pecking order and situational placements.

Brown's dollar amount indicates likewise.  He wasn't brought in as an automatic upgrade/replacement, but to compete.
Quote:Dez Cooper is one of the players signed from camp and is a hell of a safety.  Kid runs a 4.4 and lit it up at Wake, then UNC Charlotte.  Also he grew up in Jax.  Look out for him to be a cinderella story.

He runs a 4.4, so therefore he can play at a high level?
Sergio will start just becuase he has a good Ric Flair impersonation.

I pray Sample works out though

Quote:Sergio will start just becuase he has a good Ric Flair impersonation.

I pray Sample works out though

Unless he comes out of the tunnel in this, it doesn't matter...

[Image: FlairRobe_crop_north.jpg?w=384&h=383&q=75]
Sample has a bigger body and more potential, with pretty similar speed ill go sample!

Quote:I don't know if I agree. A talent like McCourty doesn't always almost hit the market so they had to take a swing especially with all the cap space. Look at every guy they've brought in for the FS position. Josh Evans, Winston Guy, Sergio Brown, James Sample and now Desmond Cooper. All guys with size, strength and speed.

I think Gus is trying to find an Earl Thomas talent in a Richard Sherman body.

Uh Earl Thomas mixed with Richard Sherman..... pretty sure all 32 teams are looking for the best safety in the League but to also have him be 6'3' this player does not exist yet. Good Luck thou.
For sample, his upside is tremendous. He is a guy they gambled on. Not a lot of tape on him, but he could be the answer.

I hope he is. If not I hope for jalen Ramsey.

sample is certainly intriguing, but I think Sergio probably holds down the starting role for a little bit.
Quote:For sample, his upside is tremendous. He is a guy they gambled on. Not a lot of tape on him, but he could be the answer.

I hope he is. If not I hope for jalen Ramsey.

sample is certainly intriguing, but I think Sergio probably holds down the starting role for a little bit.

The thing with Sample, even if he isn't the answer at FS, I feel he could potentially push Cyp if he struggles this year.
Pages: 1 2