Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Military at games paid for by taxpayer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At least the Jags were not on that list

Quote:At least the Jags were not on that list

Yeah. Thankfully. No reason anyone should expect payment honoring military.
There are so many other ways we waste money I don't even see this as an issue.
Meh it's a recruitment tool, no different than putting a commercial on the television, they pay for those too with what I assume is taxpayer money.

Quote:There are so many other ways we waste money I don't even see this as an issue.

Really?  That's $5.4 million they could cut in unnecessary spending.  How is this not an issue?  I'm more concerned my money is being used for this than some beach bum buying lobster, or especially money going to public schools or veterans.  Who really loses if this money is cut?
Quote:Really?  That's $5.4 million they could cut in unnecessary spending.  How is this not an issue?  I'm more concerned my money is being used for this than some beach bum buying lobster, or especially money going to public schools or veterans.  Who really loses if this money is cut?

Good point. Pay millions in recruitment and let the VA go to [Bad word removed]
Quote:Really? That's $5.4 million they could cut in unnecessary spending. How is this not an issue? I'm more concerned my money is being used for this than some beach bum buying lobster, or especially money going to public schools or veterans. Who really loses if this money is cut?

Ok I didn't read the link I was assuming they talked about how you see military at football games and perhaps some of them are paid for by the military. I'll read the link latter should've known not to make any assumptions.
Those teams owners should be ashamed of themselves, and the dipsticks penning those checks to those teams need an [BLEEP] whooping!  These events cost the teams absolutely nothing!  It is good will to the community that makes up your fan base.  Absolutely disgraceful!

Quote:Those teams owners should be ashamed of themselves, and the dipsticks penning those checks to those teams need an [BLEEP] whooping!  These events cost the teams absolutely nothing!  It is good will to the community that makes up your fan base.  Absolutely disgraceful!

Agreed. But just as disgraceful as military expenditures shelling out the cash for this. Amazing. Yet vets can't get medical help.
You can criticize every dollar spent on food, medical care, education and health care for the poor, but don't you dare criticize one penny spent by the military.

Quote:You can criticize every dollar spent on food, medical care, education and health care for the poor, but don't you dare criticize one penny spent by the military.

They spend too much too, though military expendatures are at least authorized by the Constitution unlike those other things.
Quote:Meh it's a recruitment tool, no different than putting a commercial on the television, they pay for those too with what I assume is taxpayer money.
It would be nice to see what effect, if any, the money paid out had on recruitment in those areas.

I think both sides are wrong on this issue.

On one hand, I don't mind DoD paying money to a NFL team for seats at a game, then distributing tickets to military members to attend, especially the lower ranks.  Prior to buying my season tickets I went to many Jaguars games using tickets that I was able to purchase at a heavily discounted rate from the USO.  If I remember right, I was allowed to purchase 2 tickets and bring a guest with me.  The only stipulation was that I had to wear my uniform.  At the time I want to say that tickets were less than $10 a piece and the seats were in the North End Zone near the top of the section.  That being said though, this was the USO which I believe is a non-profit type organisation, not an actual part of DoD.

There were other tickets that were distributed to different tenant commands on the base that were usually given as awards for several reasons.  Again, these tickets were usually in upper sections, not in the Club Section or Luxury Suites.  Also, those particular tickets didn't require the service member to be in uniform.

I don't mind DoD spending money for stuff like that.  However, I do have a problem when the money is used for an "advertising campaign".  Placing just a few select service members in club seats and showing them on the jumbotrons amounts to nothing more than "propaganda".

Quote:I think both sides are wrong on this issue.

On one hand, I don't mind DoD paying money to a NFL team for seats at a game, then distributing tickets to military members to attend, especially the lower ranks.  Prior to buying my season tickets I went to many Jaguars games using tickets that I was able to purchase at a heavily discounted rate from the USO.  If I remember right, I was allowed to purchase 2 tickets and bring a guest with me.  The only stipulation was that I had to wear my uniform.  At the time I want to say that tickets were less than $10 a piece and the seats were in the North End Zone near the top of the section.  That being said though, this was the USO which I believe is a non-profit type organisation, not an actual part of DoD.

There were other tickets that were distributed to different tenant commands on the base that were usually given as awards for several reasons.  Again, these tickets were usually in upper sections, not in the Club Section or Luxury Suites.  Also, those particular tickets didn't require the service member to be in uniform.

Maybe I'm not a millionaire because I think this way...

but wouldn't it be better publicity for both the NFL and the army if NFL teams provided discounted tickets to members of the military, and then (without being paid for it) take time to honor the men and women in our military during games (if they so choose)?

I mean the men and women in our military have the respect of many people already.  I know that I respect them.  A friend of mine's dad died fighting in Iraq.  My friend is fortunate to have receive a scholarship that helps pay her way through college (though it's a non-profit organization that runs it I think).  There are people who don't respect the military -- but I don't think an ad campaign is about to change their mind.  My friend's mother put a guy in the hospital for talking bad about the army, and he didn't change his mind.  

To me it seems like a bunch of bureaucrats saw an opportunity to boost recruitment, and the NFL teams decided to take advantage of the fact that they were willing to spend a bunch of money on something they should have been doing for free.   

Quote:Maybe I'm not a millionaire because I think this way...

but wouldn't it be better publicity for both the NFL and the army if NFL teams provided discounted tickets to members of the military, and then (without being paid for it) take time to honor the men and women in our military during games (if they so choose)?

I mean the men and women in our military have the respect of many people already.  I know that I respect them.  A friend of mine's dad died fighting in Iraq.  My friend is fortunate to have receive a scholarship that helps pay her way through college (though it's a non-profit organization that runs it I think).  There are people who don't respect the military -- but I don't think an ad campaign is about to change their mind.  My friend's mother put a guy in the hospital for talking bad about the army, and he didn't change his mind.  

To me it seems like a bunch of bureaucrats saw an opportunity to boost recruitment, and the NFL teams decided to take advantage of the fact that they were willing to spend a bunch of money on something they should have been doing for free.   

It's great PR without having to pay for the PR. Almost a little scummy when I think about it that way. 

I agree with both you. No problem at all with DOD providing things like this to service members. None what so ever. I also think the franchises should just give them tickets as a donation like many other businesses and individuals would do.