Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Colts players not happy with Dorsett pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Per a league source, multiple Colts players aren’t happy with the team’s draft strategy, specifically with the decision to use a first-round pick on receiver Phillip Dorsett.

The thinking is that the Colts should have taken a safety like Landon Collins or a tackle (defensive or offensive) with the 29th overall pick in the draft. A receiver could have been taken later than round one, and he would have arrived with less of a presumption that: (1) he’ll be on the field; and (2) he’ll have the ball thrown his way plenty.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett</a>

With Grigson and Pagano already on the hot seat, a split locker room is not what you want to see. This makes me happy as a Jags fan.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett</a>

With Grigson and Pagano already on the hot seat, a split locker room is not what you want to see. This makes me happy as a Jags fan.

Probably Moncrief and the other WRs not named Hilton.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/some-colts-players-not-happy-decision-draft-dorsett</a>

They're on the host seat?  Must be nice to make the playoffs and still put coaches on the hot seat.
Quote:Probably Moncrief and the other WRs not named Hilton.

I know, right.   I doubt the safeties and tackles are saying they should have drafted their replacement.  Sounds like a non-story.
They had other pressing needs they could have addressed here. I was pretty surprised as WR is a pretty strong position for them right now.
Wow.  I just checked the Colts forums.  Colts fans seem to hate the pick.  

Quote:I know, right.   I doubt the safeties and tackles are saying they should have drafted their replacement.  Sounds like a non-story.

It happens. Several veteran members of the Steelers were against Ben R. during his rookie year. Then he played, they started winning, and then you don't hear anything but great things about him.
If I may, as a Colts fan and as a member of this forum, say that it has been evident that the Colts needed defensive help, especially along the D-line. Brown was available, and so was Landon Collins and yet Grigson elected to draft a WR. It was baffling, not because of who was drafted -- Phillip Dorsett is a heck of a player -- but because WR was already a position of strength. Grigson explained that they had a very high grade on Dorsett (in the mid teens) and a second round grade for Brown and Collins, and that to respect the integrity of their board which they spent months to put together, he had to choose the BPA because Dorsett was by far the best player available.  

We will soon see if Dorsett was worth the first round pick.

Quote:Wow.  I just checked the Colts forums.  Colts fans seem to hate the pick.  
That's a pretty weak forum, but I think they're justified in not liking the pick.  They've got a defensive minded head coach who has to be climbing the walls.  Even the fans are starting to question Grigson and his approach.  Personally, I think he got into his boss' stash. 
justifiably so. the dorsett pick was not good for the team at all. even if he turns out to be a good player, that team passed on a lot of defensive talent. 

Quote:Wow. I just checked the Colts forums. Colts fans <a class="bbc_url" href='http://forums.colts.com/topic/38046-colts-select-phillip-dorsett-29-mega-merge/'>seem to hate the pick</a>.

One huge collective clot meltdown.
I think Dorsett can be a good player but they need a ton of help on the o-line and defense. It did not make a lot of sense for them.

I actually don't mind they got a WR, but I'm just having a hard time justifying Dorsett.  He is EXACTLY the same height and weight as TY Hilton, who went in the 3rd round.  How many 5'9 receivers can you put on a football field?  

And has there ever been a short receiver taken in the 1st round that wasn't a bust?  

Quote:I actually don't mind they got a WR, but I'm just having a hard time justifying Dorsett.  He is EXACTLY the same height and weight as TY Hilton, who went in the 3rd round.  How many 5'9 receivers can you put on a football field?  

And has there ever been a short receiver taken in the 1st round that wasn't a bust?  

Apparently that number is at least 2 if you're the twinks.  They're starting a merry band of munchkins offensively in the land of argyle sweater vests and drug crazed owners.  Maybe they're just trying to make Luck look 9 feet tall?
Quote:I actually don't mind they got a WR, but I'm just having a hard time justifying Dorsett. He is EXACTLY the same height and weight as TY Hilton, who went in the 3rd round. How many 5'9 receivers can you put on a football field?

That run a 4.28 40?

As many as you want. Can't double team everybody. That offense will be hard to stop.
If he's just head and shoulders above everyone else on their board, why not trade out?  There are likely other teams that agree with your scouts.  Sure, maybe it's not that easy I suppose, but they are really going to need this guy to step up to justify taking him there with all of their other needs.

Hypothetically, if a QB was there and he was the one that was their highest rated player, would they have taken him?  Would have been even harder to justify with one of the best QB prospects ever on your roster.

Behind Andre Johnson, TY Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, and Allen, Dorsett is going to be fighting for table scraps when the balls are being thrown around.

For a team in win-now mode picking a NT, DE, ILB, or OLB would have all been better options than Dorsett. I fully expect the colts defense to get gashed in the run game on a weekly basis.
Quote:That run a 4.28 40?

As many as you want. Can't double team everybody. That offense will be hard to stop.

4.28? Big deal.  We got a 4.25 guy in UFA.
I like the way the Colts are drafting.  I think they can pick up anyone to play OL from the street.  Those players complaining are just malcontents and don't deserve a roster spot.

Quote:Behind Andre Johnson, TY Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, and Allen, Dorsett is going to be fighting for table scraps when the balls are being thrown around.

For a team in win-now mode picking a NT, DE, ILB, or OLB would have all been better options than Dorsett. I fully expect the colts defense to get gashed in the run game on a weekly basis.
Last year, the Colts drafted Moncrief, who was #4 on the depth chart. He was behind Wayne, T.Y. and Nicks, yet he had plenty of opportunity to get into the game and make a difference. It did not hinder his development and is now considered an up-and-coming threat. I can see that situation with Dorsett, especially knowing that Andre Johnson will be here for two years and that Dorsett will play a major role as a special teams kick returner.

The Colts were dealt unfortunate injuries along the O-line (Thomas, Cherilus, Thornton, U. John) and with them returning, Grigson feels that there is talent there. I agree that it would have been good to look at a NT, but the defense was addressed with the remaining picks, especially with a focus on shoring up the run defense.
Pages: 1 2