Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: MUST Read: Inside the Jags Draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...ft-process

Ryan O'Halloran was allowed inside access, providing he did not publish until after the draft.  

"Which players did the Jaguars consider with the third pick in the NFL Draft? Did they come close to moving back into the first round Thursday night? Which prospect was discussed the longest by coaches and scouts? Why a guard in the third round?

"Starting Wednesday and through the draft, Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell answered those questions and more through multiple interviews with the Times-Union.

"Caldwell’s insight was under the agreement his comments wouldn’t be used until after the draft. Here is Dave’s Draft Diary:"

Very interesting. So, we could have actually traded back into the first for Gurley/Gordon. Unfortunate they came off the board so fast.

Good read, thanks for sharing.
Quote:Very interesting. So, we could have actually traded back into the first for Gurley/Gordon. Unfortunate they came off the board so fast.

Actually when the Packers selected a free safety at #30, I wished we traded up for him because that was our biggest need going into the draft. But who would have guessed the Packers wanted him when their biggest need was inside linebacker?

During smokescreen season, David Caldwell said he is open to trading the #3 pick. Leonard Williams was still available. So I don't understand why few teams called him about trading up.
Overall nothing too earth shattering in there.  However the rumors of them wanting to move back up into the 1st were true.  I always wonder how stories like that get out.  Was Dave calling teams ahead of time in anticipation?  Did he tell the likes of Mort and Schefter?  Or did the teams Dave was calling?  

Also, I like their strategy of drafting need early and value late.  I remember Vic used to say the opposite which never made any sense to me.  I'd always shoot him a note and he never replied.  Early in the draft the talent of the players are all bunched together.  So "reaching" for a need isnt really reaching.  However late in the draft there are ALWAYS guys who thought were a 2nd or 3rd round pick that for whatever reason are still on the board in the 5th and sometimes 6th round.  

Man... if the Rams werent so dumb I bet Gurley falls to SD and Gordon is still there in the mid 20s. Damn Jeff Fisher. 

Great article. Interesting about Josh Shaw. Wonder if they saw him more as a safety or cornerback.
Quote:Man... if the Rams werent so dumb I bet Gurley falls to SD and Gordon is still there in the mid 20s. Damn Jeff Fisher. 
Very true. They have Tre Mason like [BLEEP]. Whatever I'm happy with Yeldon.
Yeah good read. What I found most interesting was the amount of teams that wanted to trade up for our second. I wonder if we could have traded down and still get Yeldon.
Quote:Yeah good read. What I found most interesting was the amount of teams that wanted to trade up for our second. I wonder if we could have traded down and still get Yeldon.

One of the teams we were talking to were the Falcons. Its possible they were interested in Yeldon as well.
Quote:Man... if the Rams werent so dumb I bet Gurley falls to SD and Gordon is still there in the mid 20s. Damn Jeff Fisher. 

Yeldon + Cann vs. Gordon
Quote: 

Also, I like their strategy of drafting need early and value late.  I remember Vic used to say the opposite which never made any sense to me.  I'd always shoot him a note and he never replied.  Early in the draft the talent of the players are all bunched together.  So "reaching" for a need isnt really reaching.  However late in the draft there are ALWAYS guys who thought were a 2nd or 3rd round pick that for whatever reason are still on the board in the 5th and sometimes 6th round.  

It's not just that.   It's also the fact that it is so hard to find good players late in the draft, if you say "I am looking for a CB" then you are excluding 90% of the players, and that just makes it so much less likely that you find a good player.  
Good read.. Love how Dave drafted for need the first 3 rounds then went kind of a combo of need/bap in rounds 4-7.. It's so nice to have a GM who knows what he's doing and seems to be damn good at it. Still breathing in that breath of fresh air.. Also love and feel very lucky to have Tony Khan on board with the team, as active as he is. God forbid, anything happen to Mr Khan himself, I feel he'd continue on his dad's legacy here in Jax.. Another major point I picked up on, filet mignon and chicken parm?? Them guys eat like champs in the war room..
One of the sports writers on Twitter mentioned that Williams had a shoulder that teams were worried about.
Quote:Yeldon + Cann vs. Gordon

i like melvin gordon, but i dont think the talent gap is very big between gordon and yeldon at all, and you add cann to that.... jaguars are much better off than trading up. 
Quote:Yeldon + Cann vs. Gordon

Considering the Jags had a first round grade on Yeldon, I'll take Yeldon and Cann over Gordon all damn day long..
Quote:Very interesting. So, we could have actually traded back into the first for Gurley/Gordon. Unfortunate they came off the board so fast.

No, fortunately. Would've had to sacrifice too many picks for a running back. 
I'm glad we didn't get Shaw. It would be hard for me to cheer him on knowing what he did.

Nice read.

Seems to me that they really wanted Melvin Gordon, but also didn't "settle" for Yeldon based on the first round grade they gave him.
Season can't get here fast enough for me.

I have a really good feeling about the jags.....it's been a long time since I could honestly say that.....
Pages: 1 2 3