Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Should the word "Thug" be considered racist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Whoever thinks the word "thug" is a racial slur is a flat out idiot..

Nuff said..
No.

Absolutely not.  

Why is this even a thing?
Quote:Why is this even a thing?

I'm confused too.  
Quote:I'm confused too.

Social engineering.
When used in a specific context, yes it can be considered racial...

As in most things in life, context is important.
Quote:When used in a specific context, yes it can be considered racial...

As in most things in life, context is important.

If the hip hop community wants to adopt a word and use it with racial overtones, that's their business.. That doesn't make the word racial.

Did you just call me a good swimmer?!?! That's equivalent to calling me a racial word and I'm offended!!

See how stupid that is?
No, this is stupid. It's like people must find something to be offended about.
I agree with Anchorman it's all about context, the word isn't but the context can be. Words themselves are never racist, it's the context and how a word is used that might expose an individual as racist.

Calling someone a thug however to me isn't a racist statement I think that's the question being asked. Thugs come in all shapes and sizes it's someone that would rather take then earn to me.

Quote:I agree with Anchorman it's all about context, the word isn't but the context can be. Words themselves are never racist, it's the context and how a word is used that might expose an individual as racist.

Calling someone a thug however to me isn't a racist statement I think that's the question being asked. Thugs come in all shapes and sizes it's someone that would rather take then earn to me.
You should have added an "Only in certain contextual situations button" though I doubt many would have clicked that. It's not black and white... 

Ninja
Can anyone seriously deny it is often used as a code word by some who have a hair trigger on their "I'm not politically correct" defense gun?
Quote:Can anyone seriously deny it is often used as a code word by some who have a hair trigger on their "I'm not politically correct" defense gun?

I can, I use the term thug and I'm not referring to a race of people but a class of people. I've seen white thugs, black thugs, Asian thugs, spanish thugs. It's their content that makes them thugs not their ethnicity. For it to be racist I'd have to be judging their skin not their actions.
Quote:I can, I use the term thug and I'm not referring to a race of people but a class of people. I've seen white thugs, black thugs, Asian thugs, spanish thugs. It's their content that makes them thugs not their ethnicity. For it to be racist I'd have to be judging their skin not their actions.

This^
Quote:I can, I use the term thug and I'm not referring to a race of people but a class of people. I've seen white thugs, black thugs, Asian thugs, spanish thugs. It's their content that makes them thugs not their ethnicity. For it to be racist I'd have to be judging their skin not their actions.

I wasn't talking about you, then. My point is "thug" is one of those terms some bigots use that allows the "saying what everyone knows but nobody has the guts to say" defense.

I personally call people "thugs" and "animals" based on their actions, not skin color..

You can, but I'd imagine a lot of people who do use the word are using it because they can't use the word they'd like to use without being seen as backwards.

The word shouldn't be racist, but racists are stealing the word.  
Quote:You can, but I'd imagine a lot of people who do use the word are using it because they can't use the word they'd like to use without being seen as backwards.

They're not stealing it from me. No racist is going to make me dumb down my vocabulary, nor are the people who think it's racist.. Where does it end?!?
Quote:You can, but I'd imagine a lot of people who do use the word are using it because they can't use the word they'd like to use without being seen as backwards.

Quote:I wasn't talking about you, then. My point is "thug" is one of those terms some bigots use that allows the "saying what everyone knows but nobody has the guts to say" defense.

OK I see your point, the words not racist the context is, then yes I agree it can be used in that way.
Pages: 1 2 3 4