Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 1,000-Pound Rhode Island Man Transported Via Crane, Flatbed Truck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

1,000-Pound Rhode Island Man Transported Via Crane, Flatbed Truck

On Sunday, April 19, a Rhode Island man weighing over 1,000 pounds was transported by a flatbed truck eight miles down I-95 from Providence to his new residence in Cranston. The entire process took about seven hours.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/10...tbed-truck

Nope not possible man you've really gotta check these sites out
'Murica!

Quote:Nope not possible man you've really gotta check these sites out

Here's the Local Station news cast since you're too lazy to google

Crane, flatbed truck needed to move 1,000-pound RI man

Brian Butler's nursing home closing

http://www.wcvb.com/news/crane-flatbed-t...n/32461308
Quote:Nope not possible man you've really gotta check these sites out

This isn't the first time I've heard stories like this. It's not as uncommon as you might think...or hope.
Quote:Here's the Local Station news cast since you're too lazy to google

Crane, flatbed truck needed to move 1,000-pound RI man Brian Butler's nursing home closing

http://www.wcvb.com/news/crane-flatbed-t...n/32461308

Quote:This isn't the first time I've heard stories like this. It's not as uncommon as you might think...or hope.

holy crap I didn't believe someone could possibly get that big so I google searched record of heaviest people recorded and there's someone at 1400lbs!?
I have a cousin who weighed over 500 lbs.  She lost some of that weight thanks to some kind of injection she was getting.  I don't know how she walked.  Obesity runs in my side of the family unfortunately, though I dodged a bullet.  I do need to lose a few pounds though.  I'm glad my kids got what seem to be the good genes from my wife's side, though I think it helps that when they were underweight we didn't start overfeeding them like my parents did with me growing up. 

Can't imagine what this guy eats on a daily basis.

Quote:I have a cousin who weighed over 500 lbs.  She lost some of that weight thanks to some kind of injection she was getting.  I don't know how she walked.  Obesity runs in my side of the family unfortunately, though I dodged a bullet.  I do need to lose a few pounds though.  I'm glad my kids got what seem to be the good genes from my wife's side, though I think it helps that when they were underweight we didn't start overfeeding them like my parents did with me growing up. 

It runs on my Dad's side as well but 1,000lbs I just don't know how that happens?
There is a 600 lb woman that is eating 12,000 calories a day to get to 1,000 pounds.

Crazy part is, I'm pretty sure she needs to eat more than that so she can get to and maintain 1000 lbs.

Quote:It runs on my Dad's side as well but 1,000lbs I just don't know how that happens?

Eat a bag of potato chips, and that's 1500 calories right there.

1680 calories for half a gallon of ice cream.

And that's just two snacks for someone who's probably depression eating.  Couple that with probably sitting around all the time. Losing weight is hard to do even if you do exercise, it's much harder when you don't..  My wife's been trying to get me to do yoga with her (which she started back up to lose the pregnancy weight and has since continued it).  You have to keep it up, and you have to enjoy it.  I imagine Mr. Butler probably doesn't enjoy any exercise at his size.  Even something as simple as walking fifty feet is likely a huge strain for him.

Quote:Eat a bag of potato chips, and that's 1500 calories right there.

1680 calories for half a gallon of ice cream.

And that's just two snacks for someone who's probably depression eating.  Couple that with probably sitting around all the time. Losing weight is hard to do even if you do exercise, it's much harder when you don't..  My wife's been trying to get me to do yoga with her (which she started back up to lose the pregnancy weight and has since continued it).  You have to keep it up, and you have to enjoy it.  I imagine Mr. Butler probably doesn't enjoy any exercise at his size.  Even something as simple as walking fifty feet is likely a huge strain for him.

I'm not even being funny or mean when I say this....there is no way that guy can walk 50 feet.

If he can get up and walk to the bathroom, I'd be shocked.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see two feet being a difficult walk for someone weighting 1000 lbs.  

I think at 1000 lbs you'd have to eat around 6000 calories a day to maintain it.  Not sure why anyone would WANT to weigh 1000 lbs though.  It's not just unhealthy, I can't imagine it being any fun not being able to walk anywhere or do anything other than lay around all the time.  

Quote:Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see two feet being a difficult walk for someone weighting 1000 lbs.  

I think at 1000 lbs you'd have to eat around 6000 calories a day to maintain it.  Not sure why anyone would WANT to weigh 1000 lbs though.  It's not just unhealthy, I can't imagine it being any fun not being able to walk anywhere or do anything other than lay around all the time.  
I would venture to guess it's not something he WANTS. 
Quote:I would venture to guess it's not something he WANTS. 

I was referring to:

Quote:There is a 600 lb woman that is eating 12,000 calories a day to get to 1,000 pounds.

Crazy part is, I'm pretty sure she needs to eat more than that so she can get to and maintain 1000 lbs.
Quote:Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see two feet being a difficult walk for someone weighting 1000 lbs.  

I just did a calorie counter type of thing, and he's closer to 8000 calories a day.  He also has depression so I'm sure that is the biggest issue here.  Unable to get a doctor to do gastric bypass because its too risky.

Poor guy....honestly, having the world read and talk about him today can only make it worse.
Quote:I'm not even being funny or mean when I say this....there is no way that guy can walk 50 feet.

If he can get up and walk to the bathroom, I'd be shocked.

What is amazing is to think that guy has the same bones and ligaments as someone who is like 160 lbs or something.  No way it is designed to handle that much weight.
Quote:What is amazing is to think that guy has the same bones and ligaments as someone who is like 160 lbs or something.  No way it is designed to handle that much weight.

That was my thought wouldn't bones just snap under the weight of a constant 1000 lbs?
Did any of you ever watch the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Quote:Did any of you ever watch the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Where's Arnie?!?