Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: U. of Maryland Postpones 'American Sniper' Screening
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

U. of Maryland Postpones 'American Sniper' Screening

The University of Maryland has indefinitely postponed a screening of "American Sniper" after Muslim students protested calling the film "racist."

“American Sniper only perpetuates the spread of Islamophobia and is offensive to many Muslims around the world for good reason,” a petition launched by the university’s Muslim Students Association reads. “This movie dehumanizes Muslim individuals, promotes the idea of senseless mass murder, and portrays negative and inaccurate stereotypes.”

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/23/u-...s-complain

This is my outraged face

I wonder if people would have this same reaction if they delayed showing a film like The Last Temptation of Christ after protests by Christians.

Quote:I wonder if people would have this same reaction if they delayed showing a film like The Last Temptation of Christ after protests by Christians.

No, because Muslims are a "Protected Class" after 9-11
Quote:No, because Muslims are a "Protected Class" after 9-11

[Image: wow-cool.gif]
Can someone explain to me how this film is racist?
Quote:Can someone explain to me how this film is racist?

Not that I'm defending the Muslims in this, but Chris Kyle calls the folks over in Iraq "savages" several times. And he's sniping them. So I guess if you're Iraqi or a Muslim that's considered racist.
I didn't really like the movie, thought it made Chris Kyle out to be some kind of super hero. The Marines where a bunch of jarheads that couldn't clear buildings? meh

as for this whole protesting thing, whatever. I'm not sure why universities are screening movies? 

Quote:I didn't really like the movie, thought it made Chris Kyle out to be some kind of super hero. The Marines where a bunch of jarheads that couldn't clear buildings? meh

as for this whole protesting thing, whatever. I'm not sure why universities are screening movies? 

Universities provide films for viewing for their students, at low or no costs. I guess in the hopes that they'll see a movie instead of god knows what.

I'm shocked they would even get close to something "controversial" like Sniper. (and I'm with you re the film. Is this another Marvel film?)

Expect to see Frozen on a lot campuses soon. 
Quote:Universities provide films for viewing for their students, at low or no costs. I guess in the hopes that they'll see a movie instead of god knows what.

I'm shocked they would even get close to something "controversial" like Sniper. (and I'm with you re the film. Is this another Marvel film?)

Expect to see Frozen on a lot campuses soon. 

I saw Rambo 3 on campus. The poor little snowflakes's heads would explode over that today.