Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ike Taylor: 2007 losses to the Jaguars the toughest games of his career
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It happens on this recent NFL.com podcast, at roughly 1:02:00 - 1:04:30.

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=2f159894e...casts_ddfp

Dave Dameshek pretty much assumes he's going to say the Ravens, but he declares firmly OVER the Ravens rivalry that our running backs in the mid 2000s were hell and that he got a taste of Jimmy Smith in his early years as well.

I don't know, just figured you guys would also enjoy hearing that somebody who actually played a long time in the NFL gives the "good" Jaguars that much credit. The media certainly has all but wiped those great years from memory -- meanwhile that is the time when I got really passionate about football and started following the team as closely as I do now.
The 2007 playoff lose to the Jaguars was very much a crushing defeat.  They were at home.  Heck I wouldn't have wanted to go against the two hammer backs with that offensive line back then.  Watching that Jimmy and Keenan production, could you imagine a still capable J Smith in the game against New England?

If and what ifs for sure.

Quote:The 2007 playoff lose to the Jaguars was very much a crushing defeat. They were at home. Heck I wouldn't have wanted to go against the two hammer backs with that offensive line back then. Watching that Jimmy and Keenan production, could you imagine a still capable J Smith in the game against New England?

If and what ifs for sure.

Keenan was long gone by 2007.
Quote:Keenan was long gone by 2007.

I know.  The documentary covered the time when Keenan was gone.  I wasn't implying Keenan would have been an option.
Quote:I know. The documentary covered the time when Keenan was gone. I wasn't implying Keenan would have been an option.

Ahhh I see what you are saying now.
Awesome for a longtime opponent give props and respect to Jacksonville and those guys. He wasn't even asked about Jacksonville, just kept bringing it up himself. Never heard that show but I couldn't stand Dave the host.
Quote:Awesome for a longtime opponent give props and respect to Jacksonville and those guys. He wasn't even asked about Jacksonville, just kept bringing it up himself. Never heard that show but I couldn't stand Dave the host.

Makes me sad and at the same time fortunate to be able to see those types of players so early in our history. Fred Taylor, Jimmy, Tony, those guys were legit studs in their prime.
Quote:Makes me sad and at the same time fortunate to be able to see those types of players so early in our history. Fred Taylor, Jimmy, Tony, those guys were legit studs in their prime.

Yeah.  Makes me double down on sad when you think we went from Fred T to MoJo while our rival went from Peyton to Luck.  Here is to hoping BB is the man.
I did get a laugh when Ike Taylor mentioned Toefield lol. In all honesty though, Toefield showed some tough running at times for this team. Greg Jones was such an underrated guy too. I can only imagine LBs and DBs having to go against the run and you see two guys coming at you: Greg Jones as the lead blocker, and Fred/MJD right behind him.

Talk about an oncoming freight train.

We cut Fred that same offseason, even though he was willing to backup MJD and take a pay cut. We all know how the following (2008) season went, and how it's been since. I know the argument against Fred's age, but he was still productive; he went to New England and won a starting job before getting hurt. Fred would have been a better backup than whoever (rookie Rashad Jennings?) we had behind MJD that season. I hated the move, and if you believe in the Jags being cursed (I dont), that would be a good example (among others; cutting Dave Garrard hours after announcing him the starting QB at a banquet being another) to use. His games against Pittsburgh, including the two in 2007, are pretty much all legendary performances. 

It's a moot point, we lost two starting offensive lineman in week 1 of 2008. It didn't matter who our RB's were; the moment Naeole and Manuwai went down, the season was over. I think it was those 2 that got hurt anyway. 

Painful memories indeed. I think good times are right around the corner. 

The Beginning of the End.  That was like being fed a good meal while being on Death Row.

Following that game, the Jags traded up (gave up a 1st & 3rd) to get Derek Harvey, then drafted Quinten Groves in round 2, and acquired Jerry Porter in the offseason.  We went 5-11

Quote:We cut Fred that same offseason, even though he was willing to backup MJD and take a pay cut. We all know how the following (2008) season went, and how it's been since. I know the argument against Fred's age, but he was still productive; he went to New England and won a starting job before getting hurt. Fred would have been a better backup than whoever (rookie Rashad Jennings?) we had behind MJD that season. I hated the move, and if you believe in the Jags being cursed (I dont), that would be a good example (among others; cutting Dave Garrard hours after announcing him the starting QB at a banquet being another) to use. His games against Pittsburgh, including the two in 2007, are pretty much all legendary performances.

It's a moot point, we lost two starting offensive lineman in week 1 of 2008. It didn't matter who our RB's were; the moment Naeole and Manuwai went down, the season was over. I think it was those 2 that got hurt anyway.

Painful memories indeed. I think good times are right around the corner.
Pretty sure we had FT in 2008....
Not surprised. Throughout Ike Taylor's career we had a pretty smash-mouth rivalry with the Steelers.

Ike already stated on NFL Network that Fred Taylor was the hardest person he has ever had to tackle in his entire career.

So his comments on that podcast are not surprising.

Side note, Ike has given the Jacksonville Jags a lot of props this off-season. Could it be that he is a fan? lol

Quote:Not surprised. Throughout Ike Taylor's career we had a pretty smash-mouth rivalry with the Steelers.

Ike already stated on NFL Network that Fred Taylor was the hardest person he has ever had to tackle in his entire career.

So his comments on that podcast are not surprising.

Side note, Ike has given the Jacksonville Jags a lot of props this off-season. Could it be that he is a fan? lol

For all the faults that JDR had late in his coaching tenure here, I have to give him credit for that the mindset that he had that team playing. That was a team no one wanted to play given how physical both our offense and defenses were.
Quote:The Beginning of the End.  That was like being fed a good meal while being on Death Row.

Following that game, the Jags traded up (gave up a 1st & 3rd) to get Derek Harvey, then drafted Quinten Groves in round 2, and acquired Jerry Porter in the offseason.  We went 5-11
That's the way it goes isn't it?  Three strikes and you're out

I also agree immensely with TreestoneIce's post.  We got rid of both Fred Taylor and David Garrard too soon.  Both of them still had two years left.
Quote:That's the way it goes isn't it? Three strikes and you're out

I also agree immensely with TreestoneIce's post. We got rid of both Fred Taylor and David Garrard too soon. Both of them still had two years left.

Garrard was hurt.
I was wrong, Fred was with the team in 08. I actually missed almost that whole season; we were underway on the submarine I was on.

Alas, Fred had 550ish yards his last year here, still averaging 4 yds per carry when he got hurt. He went to New England, won a starting job, and averaged 4.3 yards per carry until getting hurt again. It's unknown whether he would've stayed healthy in Jax in 09, but I think he was the one guy out of anyone that deserved to stay with the team, especially when he was willing to restructure and be a backup.
Quote:That's the way it goes isn't it?  Three strikes and you're out

I also agree immensely with TreestoneIce's post.  We got rid of both Fred Taylor and David Garrard too soon.  Both of them still had two years left.

Our Front Office got way too wrapped up in the Age Factor.  We also overlooked some veterans that had a few years left --- people like Brian Dawkins.
Quote:For all the faults that JDR had late in his coaching tenure here, I have to give him credit for that the mindset that he had that team playing. That was a team no one wanted to play given how physical both our offense and defenses were.

Bet Oakland wins a sizable # of games this year.  JDR is a grinder, a hard working trooper.  He was under-appreciated in Jacksonville and will make Raiders respectable again.  Cite any factors you may, bottom line, he fielded NFL teams at least; we haven't had one since he left.  Hopefully, we can finally assemble one in Gus-man's 3rd year, with pieces fairly set in place. 

Quote:Garrard was hurt.

That doesn't mean draft a new guy entirely when JJ Watt is still on the board
Pages: 1 2