Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Study finds illegal immigrants pay $11.8B in taxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Really? I sure would like to know how since they're undocumented. Please, someone explain this to me because they sure don't do so in this article.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">"A new nationwide study on the fiscal implications of illegal immigration concludes that millions of undocumented immigrants are paying billions of dollar in taxes into state and local coffers, and that substantially more would be generated if President Obama prevails in imposing a new executive order protecting many of those workers from deportation.

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The 50-state analysis by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy released on Thursday found that roughly 8.1 million of 11.4 million undocumented immigrants who work paid more than $11.8 billion in state and local taxes in 2012, even while they were living illegally in the country."

We need the E-Verify to take effect to weed them out. Most of them work under the table. I know, I see a hoard of them in the parking lot of the Home Depot everytime I go there. Reported it but nothing has been done

Quote:We need the E-Verify to take effect to weed them out. Most of them work under the table. I know, I see a hoard of them in the parking lot of the Home Depot everytime I go there. Reported it but nothing has been done

The thing is, it's all about perspective and involvement.  Those guys and gals will work hard for lower pay, and in most cases, do a better job.  Yet, a similar person on un-employment will sleep in until 9-10:00, look on the internet for a job that "they choose" then either go fishing or go play some golf.

All of these people at the Home Depot are just looking for work.  If they are gone, who is going to fill the position(s)?
"State and local taxes"...means they are adding up how much they pay in sales tax.
Quote:"State and local taxes"...means they are adding up how much they pay in sales tax.

One more reason why we need to move away from income taxes altogether in favor of consumption-based taxation.
Quote:"State and local taxes"...means they are adding up how much they pay in sales tax.
What's scary is the state and local authorities have a pretty good idea on how many illegals there are and do nothing about it still.
Quote:What's scary is the state and local authorities have a pretty good idea on how many illegals there are and do nothing about it still.

Because they can't. The supreme court ruled its a matter of federal attention/authority when Arizona tried to pass laws tougher then the standard federal policies. Not supporting one position or the other, just stating why most states don't do "anything"
Quote:Because they can't. The supreme court ruled its a matter of federal attention/authority when Arizona tried to pass laws tougher then the standard federal policies. Not supporting one position or the other, just stating why most states don't do "anything"
Yup, exactly.

A tax by any other name is still a tax.  Illegals must still pay to cross a bridge, use a toll road, pay gasoline taxes, bed taxes, etc.

This exercise is the reason that this country should install a national/federal consumption (sales) tax rather than taxing income.  A consumption tax catches everyone; illegals, drug dealers, those being paid "under the table", etc.  In addition, when spending is taxed then savings is incentivized.

Quote:Really? I sure would like to know how since they're undocumented. Please, someone explain this to me because they sure don't do so in this article.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">"A new nationwide study on the fiscal implications of illegal immigration concludes that millions of undocumented immigrants are paying billions of dollar in taxes into state and local coffers, and that substantially more would be generated if President Obama prevails in imposing a new executive order protecting many of those workers from deportation.

<div style="font-size:11.5384635925293px;margin:0px 0px 1.1em 10px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">
<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.0000009536743px;">The 50-state analysis by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy released on Thursday found that roughly 8.1 million of 11.4 million undocumented immigrants who work paid more than $11.8 billion in state and local taxes in 2012, even while they were living illegally in the country."

</div>
Big shocker ITEP is funded by the Tides Foundation.  Clearly no agenda here.
Quote:We need the E-Verify to take effect to weed them out. Most of them work under the table. I know, I see a hoard of them in the parking lot of the Home Depot everytime I go there. Reported it but nothing has been done
"Most" lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Show me a credible study that refutes the $12B in taxes paid by showing in scientific terms that "most" immigrants find work by standing in a Home Depot parking lot.

Quote:One more reason why we need to move away from income taxes altogether in favor of consumption-based taxation.
Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Quote:"Most" lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Show me a credible study that refutes the $12B in taxes paid by showing in scientific terms that "most" immigrants find work by standing in a Home Depot parking lot.

Wouldn't the onus be on you since we're talking about illegal immigrants? The idea here is that they're illegal immigrants that don't have work visas, and the employer doesn't pay payroll taxes. The ASSUMPTION is that they just send a check to the government... that's unlikely. 
Quote:"Most" lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Show me a credible study that refutes the $12B in taxes paid by showing in scientific terms that "most" immigrants find work by standing in a Home Depot parking lot.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner.

He said most work under the table...not that most find jobs outside of Home Depot.
Quote:Wouldn't the onus be on you since we're talking about illegal immigrants? The idea here is that they're illegal immigrants that don't have work visas, and the employer doesn't pay payroll taxes. The ASSUMPTION is that they just send a check to the government... that's unlikely. 
No, it wouldn't, because the article in question states that $11.8B is paid in taxes each year by illegal immigrants. It's up to the Drifter to prove that they all work under the table.

Quote:He said most work under the table...not that most find jobs outside of Home Depot.
Exaggeration on my part. I know what he said, and might have been mocking his saying "I see them outside of Home Depot" being his primary evidence that illegal immigrants don't pay any taxes.
Quote:No, it wouldn't, because the article in question states that $11.8B is paid in taxes each year by illegal immigrants. It's up to the Drifter to prove that they all work under the table.

He said "most" of them, and the unreasonable assumption is that they "most" of them pay salary taxes. 

A quick Google search shows that $11B is about .005% of the taxes that Fed, State, and local governments will receive. Illegal immigrants make up no less than 10% of the population with the potential to be closer to 15%. Again, it appears the idea that they actually pay taxes is far more unreasonable than the other way around. 
Quote:One more reason why we need to move away from income taxes altogether in favor of consumption-based taxation.

If we had a consumption tax which I think, based on what I've read about it, would be a good move, I wonder how much conversation on immigration reform would change.
Quote:If we had a consumption tax which I think, based on what I've read about it, would be a good move, I wonder how much conversation on immigration reform would change.
It would go from, "They don't pay taxes," to one of the following almost immediately:

1. They're taking American jobs

2. They don't belong here/have no right to be here

3. They're all drug mules/terrorists
Quote:He said "most" of them, and the unreasonable assumption is that they "most" of them pay salary taxes. 

A quick Google search shows that $11B is about .005% of the taxes that Fed, State, and local governments will receive. Illegal immigrants make up no less than 10% of the population with the potential to be closer to 15%. Again, it appears the idea that they actually pay taxes is far more unreasonable than the other way around. 

Where on Earth did you get those numbers? That's closer to the percentage of all immigrants in the U.S. The most common figure I found for illegal immigrants was 3.5%.
Quote:It would go from, "They don't pay taxes," to one of the following almost immediately:

1. They're taking American jobs

2. They don't belong here/have no right to be here

3. They're all drug mules/terrorists
1.  They are taking jobs that able bodied Americans can do.  (the fact that liberals fail to acknowledge this is why we can't have a meaningful discussion) If we had workfare instead of welfare the need for illegals would diminish.  It would also provide valuable experience to those on government subsidies and in time they could move to a place of financial independence.  This would be a good thing for all parties concerned.

2.  What part of illegal do you not understand?  Here is a suggestion, why don't you go to Mexico as an illegal and tell us what you experience as such when you get caught.  How about this one, since we as a nation do not have the intestinal fortitude to set an actually a policy concerning illegal immigrants why don't we use the nation's policy that these illegals came from?

3.  Not all, but a sizable percentage are.  Again, the fact that liberals refuse to include this into the conversation or even acknowledge it is disingenuous.  

Until both sides of the political isle can acknowledge their own flaws and stop the snide comebacks, we are all lost.
Quote:Where on Earth did you get those numbers? That's closer to the percentage of all immigrants in the U.S. The most common figure I found for illegal immigrants was 3.5%.

While I admit that I may have misunderstood the statistics, the population is not 3.5%. I mistakenly looked at the legal immigrants number which is closer to 41 million. The study that you're citing predicted a potential increase of 1.5 million from 2005 where the 3.5% figure came from, and they also had to note that the potential of inaccuracy is very likely. The other statistic is accurate, however. Assuming it's only 3.5% (which by the survey's admission was unlikely), .005% versus 3.5% is unacceptable and was used to show that "most" of them do not pay their taxes.
Pages: 1 2