Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ideas and Suggestions please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

After over three years of being engaged, the wife-to-be and I have decided that for the money we could spend on a single wedding day over here, we could have a blow out two week vacation in the states with a cheap and tacky Vegas wedding followed by a trip across America.

No dates or events set in stone yet, but the initial outline would be 4 or 5 days in Vegas with a very long road trip to Florida finishing with a Jags at the bank.

We'd like some suggestions on things we must see/do and place we should stop at along our way. The only stop that is pretty much certain is a trip to Memphis as the fiancée and her mom are Elvis fans.

We may just end up flying from Vegas to Florida but the idea of spending a night or two in a couple of different cities would be an adventure of a lifetime
Quote:Hi all,

After over three years of being engaged, the wife-to-be and I have decided that for the money we could spend on a single wedding day over here, we could have a blow out two week vacation in the states with a cheap and tacky Vegas wedding followed by a trip across America.

No dates or events set in stone yet, but the initial outline would be 4 or 5 days in Vegas with a very long road trip to Florida finishing with a Jags at the bank.

We'd like some suggestions on things we must see/do and place we should stop at along our way. The only stop that is pretty much certain is a trip to Memphis as the fiancée and her mom are Elvis fans.

We may just end up flying from Vegas to Florida but the idea of spending a night or two in a couple of different cities would be an adventure of a lifetime

Just a few random thoughts: 

I don't know what kind of activities you like, but if it were I, 5 days in Vegas would be way too long.   I would be bored stiff after 2 days in Vegas.   Besides, if you have 2 weeks to get this whole trip in, why waste time in Vegas?   Vegas is a clip joint for the mathematically challenged.

What do you like to do?   What are your interests?   The United States is a big place with a lot of different stuff.   If I were advising someone who was coming here for a trip of a lifetime, I think I would send them to New York City and Disney World.   But really, to advise you, I (we) need to know more about what you are interested in. 

By the way, I would not drive from Vegas to Jacksonville.   That's way too much driving.   According to Google Maps, it's 32 hours of driving.  

Here's a suggestion:  Spend a day in Vegas, then rent a car and drive to the Grand Canyon.   That's a 4 hour drive.   Spend the night there.  Then, from Vegas, fly to New York City.  Spend a couple of days in New York City.   Take one of those hop-on, hop-off double decker bus tours.  That's the easiest way to see the sights in New York.  Fly from New York to Jacksonville.   See the Jags play.   Then rent a car and drive to Orlando and see Disney World.   You can do the Magic Kingdom in one day.   Stay to the end so you can see the fireworks.  I think there are direct flights from Orlando to London.  

Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, New York, Disney World.  Now that's a trip!  

My advice would be to spend just a couple of days in Vegas.  While there, you might want to take a short detour to Hoover Dam. 

First day of travel by car you could start traveling east and perhaps see the Grand Canyon.  If you are still up for driving a bit more, then maybe keep traveling east to get to Albuquerque, N.M.  Albuquerque is on old route 66, and also has a pretty nice Indian Cultural Center that might be of interest.  There is actually a lot more to see in New Mexico, and if time permits, stay a couple of days.  Some examples are Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands and Trinity Site.

From Albuquerque it's a full day's drive (about 8 hours) to get to Oklahoma City, Ok.  There are a few sites to see there including the monument erected after the Oklahoma City Federal building bombing, a pretty cool place to try different kinds of soda and a few pretty cool museums.  Like in New Mexico, I would stay maybe a couple of days and do some exploring.

Next continue east on I-40 to Memphis.  Of course, while in Memphis you are probably going to Graceland.  Spend an evening on Beale Street and check out the blues clubs.

From Memphis, it's a short drive to Nashville where there is a lot to do and see.  At the very least I would recommend checking out The Grand 'Ole Oprey.

Once you leave Nashville, drive to Jacksonville and spend at least a few days in the area.  Nearby is St. Augustine, Daytona and a "short drive" (about 2.5 hours) to Orlando where you have Disney, Sea World, etc.  You also aren't too far from Kennedy Space Center.

Good luck with your trip and congratulations in advance on your wedding.

Carlo,

Have you ever been to the US before?   If so, where?   And if not, do you ever plan on coming to the States again, or is this literally "the trip of a lifetime"?    If this is the trip of a lifetime, do you really want to waste your time driving across Oklahoma?  
Quote:My advice would be to spend just a couple of days in Vegas.  While there, you might want to take a short detour to Hoover Dam.

First day of travel by car you could start traveling east and perhaps see the Grand Canyon.  If you are still up for driving a bit more, then maybe keep traveling east to get to Albuquerque, N.M.  Albuquerque is on old route 66, and also has a pretty nice Indian Cultural Center that might be of interest.  There is actually a lot more to see in New Mexico, and if time permits, stay a couple of days.  Some examples are Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands and Trinity Site.

From Albuquerque it's a full day's drive (about 8 hours) to get to Oklahoma City, Ok.  There are a few sites to see there including the monument erected after the Oklahoma City Federal building bombing, a pretty cool place to try different kinds of soda and a few pretty cool museums.  Like in New Mexico, I would stay maybe a couple of days and do some exploring.

Next continue east on I-40 to Memphis.  Of course, while in Memphis you are probably going to Graceland.  Spend an evening on Beale Street and check out the blues clubs.

From Memphis, it's a short drive to Nashville where there is a lot to do and see.  At the very least I would recommend checking out The Grand 'Ole Oprey.

Once you leave Nashville, drive to Jacksonville and spend at least a few days in the area.  Nearby is St. Augustine, Daytona and a "short drive" (about 2.5 hours) to Orlando where you have Disney, Sea World, etc.  You also aren't too far from Kennedy Space Center.

Good luck with your trip and congratulations in advance on your wedding.
Perfect trip right here. 
Quote:Carlo,

Have you ever been to the US before?   If so, where?   And if not, do you ever plan on coming to the States again, or is this literally "the trip of a lifetime"?    If this is the trip of a lifetime, do you really want to waste your time driving across Oklahoma?

I'm from the States and I don't want to waste my time driving across Oklahoma!!
Wyoming and Montana if I could visit anywhere in the world it would be those two states.
Quote:Wyoming and Montana if I could visit anywhere in the world it would be those two states.
Oregon is pretty swell also Wink
Quote:I'm from the States and I don't want to waste my time driving across Oklahoma!!

The Oklahoma suggestion is quite the misnomer. I think what he meant to say was hit the gas pedal when approaching Oklahoma City.
Quote:Oregon is pretty swell also Wink

I'll be in Portland this weekend. Keep an eye out for a guy drinking lots of beer.
I would go west before flying East. San Diego is nice, plus the drive up the Cali coast to Wine Country is worth your time. Fly from there to NYC and pick up where others have suggested.

That would be very wise.  That would be a long and boring 2,400 mile drive and there's not many places to hit on the way.  You'd be better off flying into Florida and taking full advantage of seeing Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville if possible. 

The only places that I'd recommend driving instead of flying is if you were to go up or down 1 of our coastlines East Coast->  Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-DC ....or....  West Coast -> San Francisco-LA-San Diego.