Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Marks Comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I agree.
Well he's hitting on a point I think. As far as Michael Sam goes, I don't really consider it a PR move, but the female referee I do. The NFL has been trying to incorporate more women into the league in the last recent year. Easpecially with it's new found crusade against violence against women (which they should), but something tells me that this all came to light because of the Rice video.. Which would make it a PR move..

Gotta give Marks his props for speaking his mind..
I don't see anything wrong with his comments.  And yet another misleading headline.  He didn't call it a "PR stunt" he said the league was "monopolizing every opportunity."   

Irresponsible journalism  -  and I use the j-word only out of kindness. 

quite a bit of me hopes these comments were taken out of context or just being presented deliberately negatively. I like the guy but I don't see the point of his comments and to me it makes him come across as ignorant.

there has to be a first to get anything started and there is always going to be a media fervour around the first anything with a sport as big and well covered as the nfl. 

I felt that female kicker was a dumb pr move, the female ref more of a start to get more women into the sport in areas that wouldn't effect the current quality of the game. If she can do the job who cares.

The whole thing just smells to me like there was another part to the conversation.

As for freedom of speech, it works both ways really he has a right to say it and i have right to think he is wrong

Couldn't agree more Sen'Derrick.

This world is full of soft, politically correct [BLEEP].

Sick of it
Quote:I don't see anything wrong with his comments.  And yet another misleading headline.  He didn't call it a "PR stunt" he said the league was "monopolizing every opportunity."   

Irresponsible journalism  -  and I use the j-word only out of kindness. 

Click bait, nothing more.
Quote:Click bait, nothing more.

Yep. 

I mean  - Sen didn't do himself any favors by marginalizing the league's intentions and his comments don't paint him to be much of a renaissance man - but all three articles I've seen on it are twisting his words and removing proper context.  
He might want to be careful. Any perceived slight against the LGBT community can mean rough times for him whether me meant or not. Maybe even a lengthy suspension.

I don't agree but kinda sounds like it was taken out of context too.
I have to side with Marks on this one.
So speaking your opinion is now a crime according to far too many people these days.  1st Amendment be damned.  Sen'Derrick is 100% correct on his assessment of Michael Sam.  Both he and Tim Tebow are two sides of the same coin.  Both very good college players whose game does not transcend to the NFL level yet are propped up by an agenda outside of the game itself.  As for the female ref, she may or may not be qualified.  The timing of the hire is suspect and Marks is justified in his questioning of it.  Is it a publicity stunt?  Most likely it is, the sad part is if she truly is the most qualified new hire the question will always be there.  Kudos to Sen'Derrick Marks for having the courage to state both opinions out loud.  Especially in this environment of what today passes as journalism; so eloquently displayed by the author of the link provided in this story.

[quote name="CatAttack78" post="464225" timestamp="1428186815"]Watch the religious stuff or this will be shut down.[/quot

What happened to free speech!
First Amendment works both way copycat.

marks on sam is pretty much just opinion. as far as the  ref , well good for her. if she knows the rules well enough to go pro, then welcome aboard

Quote:First Amendment works both way copycat.

I agree which is why I responded the way I did after reading the entire stream to the original post.  Several of those posters were condemning Sen'Derrick for his opinion quite a few made it personal.
Quote:I agree which is why I responded the way I did after reading the entire stream to the original post.  Several of those posters were condemning Sen'Derrick for his opinion quite a few made it personal.

And that's their right.  Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from judgment or consequences.

This topic should probably be in the politics section tbh.  Not sure why Marks felt the need to comment, and not sure why anyone felt there needed to be a story, other than that I guess it's offseason.  I was hoping this topic would be comments on his recovery personally.
Looks a lot like something he's said without really thinking about it. Which might be something he needs to be careful of in the future.

He's probably right about the NFL seeing this as a PR opportunity, but people will read his comments and think he is against the idea of openly gay players and female officials. And I don't think that's what he meant to say.

Ok, you can argue he's got a right to speak his mind and it's probably what 99% percent of his team mates are saying behind closed doors, but if his comments land him in trouble with the league, then they're not very smart.
He is completely right on both accounts. I applaud him for speaking his mind and opinion and i happen to agree with it. He does not not need to be careful on what he said as what he said was nothing detrimental to himself or the league. Its his opinion, he was asked a question, he responded. 

NFL only cares about money and image, Michael Sam absolutely would of gone undrafted had he not come out, had nothing to do with being gay, he simply was not NFL material. Female ref absolutely was and is a PR stunt to make it seem like they are equal to everybody. 
Love this dude. Hope he comes back with the vengeance.

Pages: 1 2