Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Obamacare’s Fate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Obamacare’s Fate? Here’s What A Key Supreme Court Justice Just Said That Could Be A Huge Clue

<div>As the U.S. Supreme Court considers a case whose outcome could prove to be a death blow to Obamacare — the case known as King v. Burwell challenging whether enrollees through the federal signup site, healthcare.gov, are entitled to premium-reducing subsidies — one key justice has casually dropped what could be a huge clue to his thinking.

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/obamaca...GM8LQCs.99
</div>

That the SCOTUS job. If they ruled it's legality in that manner millions will lose insurance coverage but they should not take that into account when ruling. 

There's no going back, socialized medicine is here for better or worse. The sooner Republicans stop pretending we can put the egg back together and figure out the best way to straighten out the mess the better off we will be.

Sometimes you simply lose a debate, at that point you have to work to make the new system the best you can. We lost the debate now we have to work to make this new system the best we can.

Quote:There's no going back, socialized medicine is here for better or worse. The sooner Republicans stop pretending we can put the egg back together and figure out the best way to straighten out the mess the better off we will be.

Sometimes you simply lose a debate, at that point you have to work to make the new system the best you can. We lost the debate now we have to work to make this new system the best we can.
Well said. Your republican brothers and sisters don't want a system that works though. They want the evil commie program TERMINATED with no concern about the millions that are now able to have healthcare. It's very courageous of them. 

However the article is right in it's point that the SCOTUS should be ruling on the legality rather than the ramifications and I think everyone can agree with that. 
How the hell can we give everyone healthcare? It's not a right! How can we supply healthcare, infrastructure, education facilities, power grids, weaponry to the Middle Eastern countries with all that wasted tax money going to some guy who has a pre existing condition and really screwing up the bottom line for the job creators, aka, insurance companies?

Just ain't right. I mean look at Ted Cruz. He was born in a place that offered healthcare and he got the hell outta there. He knows what's goin on.

Agree with Eric. This dog has been let out. The GOP should just stop trying to fence in the land after the cattle have run off.

But how many politicians ran on " I will repeal Obamacare" platform? And the sheep or lemmings, depending on your perspective followed right along.

Love it or hate it. It's here.
Quote:But how many politicians ran on " I will repeal Obamacare" platform? And the sheep or lemmings, depending on your perspective followed right along.

Love it or hate it. It's here.

Politicians always make empty promises.  It's kind of their thing.  I mean have the Republicans overturned Roe v. Wade in the past... oh, 42 years?
Quote:Politicians always make empty promises.  It's kind of their thing.  I mean have the Republicans overturned Roe v. Wade in the past... oh, 42 years?
It's not for lack of trying though. 54 times they have tried to do so. 
As it is they have to do something about cost control, if we're going to have socialized medicine we can't expect to subsidize these ridiculous premiums forever thats financial suicide.

If the republicans where smart they should start proposing cost control measures and look to slowly dwindle down the need for the subsidies. I think most will agree the biggest problem with obamacare is the premiums are going through the roof.

Also they have to figure out something with the supply side, more insured means demand on doctors and medical staff is going to increase rapidly have to stay ahead of that demand curve. That was a big problem in Canada the demand curve got ahead of the supply and the wait times became unreasonable, your talking months for appointments.
Quote:As it is they have to do something about cost control, if we're going to have socialized medicine we can't expect to subsidize these ridiculous premiums forever thats financial suicide.

If the republicans where smart they should start proposing cost control measures and look to slowly dwindle down the need for the subsidies. I think most will agree the biggest problem with obamacare is the premiums are going through the roof.

Also they have to figure out something with the supply side, more insured means demand on doctors and medical staff is going to increase rapidly have to stay ahead of that demand curve. That was a big problem in Canada the demand curve got ahead of the supply and the wait times became unreasonable, your talking months for appointments.
These are all smart suggestions. It is interesting that I have heard less complaints about rising premiums that I would expect considering the loudness of the complaints. Maybe it's regional? I don't know.

I do agree it would be better to just have healthcare be affordable rather than subsidize it. 
Quote:As it is they have to do something about cost control, if we're going to have socialized medicine we can't expect to subsidize these ridiculous premiums forever thats financial suicide.

We don't have socialized medicine, we have crony capitalism where the government requires the private purchase of a selected product. Escalating premiums are a leading indicator of CC, no or extremely low premiums would indicate socialization. And if you think premiums are the issue then you have no concept of the increase in administrative costs to the providers of the services that, coupled with the current and coming penalty structures in the government health plans, are driving the older physicians to early retirement, that's what's going to drive your scarcity in services. The cost of doing business that the government is putting on providers will continue to stagnate the number of new physicians entering the field at a time when we should be increasing them. And now that they want to make systemic changes to the reimbursement models physicians will be on the hook for clinical outcomes to patients who live in their communities that aren't even their patients. If you need help getting to sleep read up on the Medicare Value Based Payment Modifier or the coming system of Community-based Population Health Management. Just remember that the geeks are in charge so every problem needs an Excel spreadsheet and a cross-functional health information management tool to find a solution.
Quote:These are all smart suggestions. It is interesting that I have heard less complaints about rising premiums that I would expect considering the loudness of the complaints. Maybe it's regional? I don't know.

I do agree it would be better to just have healthcare be affordable rather than subsidize it. 

Definitely regional. Here's Kaiser's analysis of the whole country that shows both large increases and large decreases to the plan costs across the country.

http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief...ketplaces/
The politics of this are interesting.   A lot of Republicans are hoping the SCOTUS does not overturn the Obamacare subsidies, because they fear the backlash from the millions of people who lose their subsidies, and they don't want to lose the whole Obamacare issue.   To win elections you need issues to run on, and Obamacare has been a big help to the Republicans on a national level. 

Imagine if Obamacare was abolished, flag burning was outlawed, abortion was outlawed, all gay rights were overturned, and the Bible was put into the schools.   What would Republicans run on?   Tax cuts for the rich?   They'd lose every election. 

Quote:We don't have socialized medicine, we have crony capitalism where the government requires the private purchase of a selected product. Escalating premiums are a leading indicator of CC, no or extremely low premiums would indicate socialization. And if you think premiums are the issue then you have no concept of the increase in administrative costs to the providers of the services that, coupled with the current and coming penalty structures in the government health plans, are driving the older physicians to early retirement, that's what's going to drive your scarcity in services. The cost of doing business that the government is putting on providers will continue to stagnate the number of new physicians entering the field at a time when we should be increasing them. And now that they want to make systemic changes to the reimbursement models physicians will be on the hook for clinical outcomes to patients who live in their communities that aren't even their patients. If you need help getting to sleep read up on the Medicare Value Based Payment Modifier or the coming system of Community-based Population Health Management. Just remember that the geeks are in charge so every problem needs an Excel spreadsheet and a cross-functional health information management tool to find a solution.

It's a form of socialized medicine in the reality that tax payers are funding the premiums and government is regulating the level of care. Really it's the worse possible solution we have where government subsidized insurance companies that have no incentive to control cost. Insurance companies no longer have to worry about making their products affordable or even appealing government has mandated we have to buy it.

The problem is a full repeal wouldn't bring the premiums back down to pre-ACA levels it's like taxes once they find a reason to increase it they never reign it back in. Not to mentions republicans have zero interest in repealing the pre-existing conditions.

It's quite the mess were in I'm not sure how they can fix it to be honest.
Quote:The politics of this are interesting. A lot of Republicans are hoping the SCOTUS does not overturn the Obamacare subsidies, because they fear the backlash from the millions of people who lose their subsidies, and they don't want to lose the whole Obamacare issue. To win elections you need issues to run on, and Obamacare has been a big help to the Republicans on a national level.

Imagine if Obamacare was abolished, flag burning was outlawed, abortion was outlawed, all gay rights were overturned, and the Bible was put into the schools. What would Republicans run on? Tax cuts for the rich? They'd lose every election.

Now your being ridiculous
Quote:Now your being ridiculous

Do you really think politicians are sincere, honest people, who want to get something worthwhile accomplished more than they want to win the next election?
Quote:Do you really think politicians are sincere, honest people, who want to get something worthwhile accomplished more than they want to win the next election?

That's not what you said, you're implying only a few key issues drive half the population. That's as dishonest as saying Democrats only care about screwing the rich and expanding welfare. 
Quote:Imagine if Obamacare was abolished, flag burning was outlawed, abortion was outlawed, all gay rights were overturned, and the Bible was put into the schools.   What would Republicans run on?   Tax cuts for the rich?   They'd lose every election. 

Probably on getting the most oppressed people the ability to vote.  I'm talking of course, about corporations.

I agree that repealing Obamacare is an empty promise.  It's rhetoric to stir up the base.  Honestly, Republicans would probably have to run on "Stopping the Riots" if all of that happened though.  
Democrats and Repubs are the same. They just play on the different ideals that the people have. They individually sell you the idea that when elected, you get what you want, when in reality, you get nothing but broken promises of a better way of life. These politicians are money and power hungry and we vote them into office because they're our only choices. So in reality, the people are going to be the downfall of our own country because we love to exercise our right to vote.

So ya'll can keep bickering amoung yourselves on who represents the better party, when in reality, you're all turds, just a different color..
Quote:Definitely regional. Here's Kaiser's analysis of the whole country that shows both large increases and large decreases to the plan costs across the country.

http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief...ketplaces/
I'm glad there was a chart there. I'm a little color blind and was having problems with the colors on the map lol
Quote:Democrats and Repubs are the same. They just play on the different ideals that the people have. They individually sell you the idea that when elected, you get what you want, when in reality, you get nothing but broken promises of a better way of life. These politicians are money and power hungry and we vote them into office because they're our only choices. So in reality, the people are going to be the downfall of our own country because we love to exercise our right to vote.

So ya'll can keep bickering amoung yourselves on who represents the better party, when in reality, you're all turds, just a different color..

/
Pages: 1 2