Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mom and baby go into hiding from rabid CPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Story

<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">"The mother at the center of a year-long child abuse case in Michigan is </span>now being petitioned by the court<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"> to provide information on her whereabouts, despite charges against her being dropped. “It’s a bogus, coercive petition” that amounts to “social-worker terrorism,” Elizabeth Warner, attorney for mom Brenda Burns, tells Yahoo Parenting. “CPS does this — holds a child hostage — in order to get parents to comply with their wishes.”</span>

<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">The petition, which will have Burns back in court next week, is just the latest in a long and harrowing struggle for the mother to retain custody of her infant. It all began in March 2014, when baby Naomi, then two months old, allegedly fell off her father Josh’s knee, hitting her head on the floor. The fall resulted in a bruised cheek, but when Naomi began projectile vomiting the next day, her parents took her to the emergency room. That began a near two-week stay in the hospital during which time doctors witnessed seizures, retinal hemorrhaging, and ran a battery of tests on Naomi, according to a timeline of events on the Burns’s website, </span>TornFamily.com<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">. It also kicked off a CPS abuse and neglect investigation into the parenting skills of Brenda, a registered nurse and stay-at-home mom, and Josh, a commercial airline pilot.</span>

As a result, Naomi was placed into foster care and there were two trials — a family court trial, which found that Brenda was not responsible for Naomi’s injuries but that Josh was, and a separate criminal trial, in which a jury convicted Josh of abuse. The dad says he’s not seen his daughter for a year and now faces up to 10 years in prison; he will be sentenced on March 19. In the meantime, CPS is demanding that Brenda tell them where she and Naomi are living."

Read more at the link.

This is crazy. When I was about 6 months old I fell off my dad's lap and landed on my head on a concrete floor (we lived in a basement apartment and the floor had a thin rug so it was like my head hit concrete). They had to rush me to the hospital and I had holes drilled into my head to relieve pressure. I flatlined several times and the priest was brought in to read me my last rites. At no time was the 70's version of CPS crawling up my parent's butts crying abuse. Nor were the cops called. Sometimes freak accidents happen.

It's ridiculous that this family can be hounded for a year for an accident yet CPS can't be bothered to follow up on real cases that leave young girls with kidnappers for YEARS. It makes me sick. CPS has NO reason to demand to know where this woman and her child lives. Government interference on a level that is beyond.

CPS and other government agencies related to the same domain are regularly overstepping their boundaries in order to "protect the children" even when it's not necessary.

If you want to see just how scary things can be for families, google Justina Pelletier and read her ordeal.  The state basically took custody of the girl when her parents wanted to remove her from one hospital and move her to one that was originally treating her for mitochondrial disease.  The family fought for over a year to gain custody of their child, and were prevented from seeing her without a monitor, and only on certain days.  Why?  Because the state run hospital they took her to felt the original diagnosis was invalid, and that it was a psychological issue.  The end result?  They put the kid in a mental health facility and didn't provide her with the necessary medical treatment.  This vibrant teenager who was a competitive ice skater was reduced to being in a wheel chair over the course of time she was in state custody, and even though her family eventually won and got her back, the damage done by the lack of treatment means she's now got long term health issues that could have been avoided had she gotten the proper treatment. 

All the while, the state of MA has never admitted to any wrongdoing. 

These stories are disgusting. 

Common sense has left the building.  I'm sure there are countless similar instances of abuse of power, but these two alone make my heart ache for the families.

WHY DIDNT THEY HAVE RUBBER FLOORS!!!
Quote:CPS and other government agencies related to the same domain are regularly overstepping their boundaries in order to "protect the children" even when it's not necessary.

If you want to see just how scary things can be for families, google Justina Pelletier and read her ordeal.  The state basically took custody of the girl when her parents wanted to remove her from one hospital and move her to one that was originally treating her for mitochondrial disease.  The family fought for over a year to gain custody of their child, and were prevented from seeing her without a monitor, and only on certain days.  Why?  Because the state run hospital they took her to felt the original diagnosis was invalid, and that it was a psychological issue.  The end result?  They put the kid in a mental health facility and didn't provide her with the necessary medical treatment.  This vibrant teenager who was a competitive ice skater was reduced to being in a wheel chair over the course of time she was in state custody, and even though her family eventually won and got her back, the damage done by the lack of treatment means she's now got long term health issues that could have been avoided had she gotten the proper treatment. 

All the while, the state of MA has never admitted to any wrongdoing.

I vaguely remember that story. Sad stuff.