Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags approaching Beachum's contract deadline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...ums-option

To re-sign or not? That is the question, folks. 
It's not even a question really. Our oline is 80 percent replaceable as it is, nevermind what appears to be a big problem at both guard positions and RT currently. We don't need to add LT to that list just yet. Beachum is serviceable and considering our past, I'm ok with that.
Quote:It's not even a question really. Our oline is 80 percent replaceable as it is, nevermind what appears to be a big problem at both guard positions and RT currently. We don't need to add LT to that list just yet. Beachum is serviceable and considering our past, I'm ok with that.
Not only that, but by most accounts, LT is a very weak position in this draft.

I think if there were a stud LT or two that our draft position would assure us of taking, I might be inclined to let him walk.

But I'm seeing some mocks from credible sorts that has Cam Robinson dropping to mid to late first.  Maybe after the combine he will shoot back up the boards,but the way things stand now, I would keep Beachum another year.
This isn't an issue at all. We definitely have to  re-sign him. He and Linder were the only reliable players on the O-Line. It would be foolish to create another major problem by letting him go. This draft is super weak at LT and there are only about 3-4 guys in this draft who I would trust to come in and start at LT right away without be totally terrible. Free agency isn't much better. Andrew Whitworth would be by far the best available LT in free agency, but the guy is 35 years old, so he would be a very short term fix. Beachum, while not elite, is good enough to hold down the position. I'd like to draft a swing tackle in the later rounds for added depth, but we have enough to worry about by already needing a starting OG and RT. We don't need to add to our list of needs unnecessarily. 

Definitely pick up the options. He didn't play up to his Steelers level, but he did come back earlier than he should have and openly played through soreness in that knee for most of the season. Hopefully he will rebound even farther next season. 

Almost 10 mil AAV isn't going to look like much money for a LT with the salary cap going up to 170 mil next year and beyond. 

On the weekly show last night, Caldwell said they were doing their roster evaluation now in preparation for free agency. I doubt there's much drama around this situation. They simply pick up the option or they don't. I would expect them to pick it up. When that happens is irrelevant.
Besides clowney whipping him up and down the field, he played pretty good last year.
Beachum's first year back after a terrible knee injury and he was okay and started like 14 games. I think he will be even better this year. I watch a lot of Pittsburgh games and that guy was a T-Rex out there 2 years ago, he will get back to that.

Yea not a question. Way too many holes on oline. To let a productive player walk.
He did okay for the season and it was his first year back from the acl tear. More recovery time and hopefully an upgrade at left guard will only help and his contract is amazing for a young left tackle.
It depends on what the guaranteed money is for those 4 years. He was decent, but if by picking up the option, the team can't cut him after two seasons without having a huge amount of dead money on the salary cap, then I'd think twice about it.

EDIT: Ok, that link says it would be $13 million guaranteed - his $7.5 million base salary in 2017, and $5.5 of his $8.5 million base salary in 2018. Yeah, I'd pick up that option.

I think we should; but that means didilisquattymagooshywooshy.
Too many other worries and holes on this team to open up another hole.  Keep him.

Goodbye Beachum.

Chhhammmmppiiiooonnshiiipppp
Quote:On the weekly show last night, Caldwell said they were doing their roster evaluation now in preparation for free agency. 

This is what separates Dave Caldwell from the other GMs.   So innovative in his philosophy and preparation.  I mean, what other GMs are evaluating their roster in preparation for Free Agency?

Quote:Besides clowney whipping him up and down the field, he played pretty good last year.

The Texans have been whipping our OLine for years now.
Quote:The Texans have been whipping our OLine for years now.

Help Sad mayday surrounded!
Texans are loaded up front, you need to be elite to hold up against Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, ect. Remember what Watt did to Joeckel in 2015?

Quote:Texans are loaded up front, you need to be elite to hold up against Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, ect. Remember what Watt did to Joeckel in 2015?

No kidding ..... Watt essentially changed Joekel's offensive position to Guard.
Quote:Texans are loaded up front, you need to be elite to hold up against Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, ect. Remember what Watt did to Joeckel in 2015?

I remember Merciless getting 4 sacks against him. 4 out of the 5 he gave up that game.
Pages: 1 2