Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: University of Oklahoma Fratenity Chant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just absolutely disgusting http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/oklahom...ity-chant/

I'm however encouraged to see the overwhelming outrage and support against this fraternity. I've never had a personal encounter with fraternity's only what I've seen in movies and TV but that chant is something really disturbing.

Anyone else ever heard of this fraternity?

Quote:Just absolutely disgusting http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/oklahom...ity-chant/

I'm however encouraged to see the overwhelming outrage and support against this fraternity. I've never had a personal encounter with fraternity's only what I've seen in movies and TV but that chant is something really disturbing.

They are a pretty big fraternity across the US from what I understand. 

Whenever I run across frat guys the typically all follow the same prototype (at least the guys that stand out.)  
Quote:Just absolutely disgusting http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/oklahom...ity-chant/

I think the overwhelming support you see is how the vast majority of Americans, all races, feel about racism. Most are very much against it, sadly, like most things a vocal minority will give a bad name to most others.
I'm a black man and this doesnt bother me one bit.

I don't care how these guys feel.

I don't think they should lose anything.

If we start to punish everyone for saying something really stupid "in private", then all of us should/would be punished

time to stop being so sensitive.

Quote:I'm a black man and this doesnt bother me one bit.

If we start to punish everyone for saying something really stupid "in private", then all of us should/would be punished

Very true too, but these guys, like it or not represent the school as well. If the school chooses to not want to be associated with that, then more power to them.
Quote:Very true too, but these guys, like it or not represent the school as well. If the school chooses to not want to be associated with that, then more power to them.
Agreed.

That was going to be my question: I am unfamiliar with how Frats work. Is there some kind fo ethic code of conduct that they have to abide by that this would fall under? If so, I would wholeheartedly endorse the school's handling of this. But if this is just something where they bowed the knee to the pressure of those who say that they are concerned and outraged, then I'm not so sure that I would go along with that.
So I really should clarify my post that you repsonded to.....I only think that they should "lose" something if it is outlined in some type of code of conduct that this type of behavior would be punished.

There's no laws being broken but I absolutely support the school banishing the fraternity and shutting them down. This is where I think we as individuals have power, it's not for government to send some prosecutor down but what we're seeing should be the reaction. An absolutely disgust by the actions and private individuals and associations refusing to associate with them.
Quote:So I really should clarify my post that you repsonded to.....I only think that they should "lose" something if it is outlined in some type of code of conduct that this type of behavior would be punished.

I get what you're saying and I agree 100%.
I'm just not a fan of the Court of Public Opinion AKA Thought Police.

Especially when we have guys like Al Sharpton running around with impunity after the numerous racist things that he has said.

Why no public outrage about him?

Quote:I'm just not a fan of the Court of Public Opinion AKA Thought Police.

Especially when we have guys like Al Sharpton running around with impunity after the numerous racist things that he has said.

Trust me, the day that guy goes to hell, party up in here!

I was watching the news this morning and they said the last time a black student pledged that fraternity at OU was 14 years ago.  I don't know the demographics of OU, but that seems like a really long time.

From my experience in college, if there was a fight....at least one of them was in a frat.  They know that they have power in numbers and if they start getting beaten down their boys will jump in.

Oh I have no love for Sharpton, I just heard about this story on the ride in and thought it's the perfect reaction and how these situations should be handled.

Quote:Oh I have no love for Sharpton, I just heard about this story on the ride in and thought it's the perfect reaction and how these situations should be handled.
I've just caught wind of it myself. I'm very wary when these types of stories come out. They always bring out the fake outrage crowd who want people to lose everything because of something stupid that they said or did.

Like I said above, you keep a camera on me for a full 24 hour period, and some people would want me to lose everything.

It's really sad if you think about it.

Sig Eps is pretty popular.  They weren't at my university but I've heard of them.

Didn't realize they were that stupid and ignorant.

Totally funny that these idiots now have to pack up their bags, get out of the house in 24 hours and walk in disgrace wherever they go.
Sig Eps are known for being a pretty questionable frat. Doesn't surprise me at all.
I believe this is likely a violation of the student code of conduct.  While I think the end result would've been the same (meaning expulsion for the students), I think they should have been afforded a fair case under the CoC which, at most schools I believe, is a trial with a jury of their peers.

I think directly expelling immediately is an overreaction to the court of public opinion, but, like I said above, I think the outcome would've been the same either way.

Quote:I believe this is likely a violation of the student code of conduct.  While I think the end result would've been the same (meaning expulsion for the students), I think they should have been afforded a fair case under the CoC which, at most schools I believe, is a trial with a jury of their peers.

I think directly expelling immediately is an overreaction to the court of public opinion, but, like I said above, I think the outcome would've been the same either way.

Personally, I think we give Guilty people way too much leeway in this country.  What more evidence do you need other than a video of people clearly visible chanting racist remarks?

These dudes are lucky they didn't get this [BLEEP] kicked on the way out of Norman, OK

My favorite brother of the day.
Quote:My favorite brother of the day.

Who was yesterday's?
Pages: 1 2 3