Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Remember the last time the Jaguars shut out an opponent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=261008030

It was 9 years ago against the Jets. It was also the last (and probably only time that I can remember) that the Jags held a QB to under 100 yards passing. It was an absolutely perfect game by the Jags. It would be real fun if we could have a game like this again.

Good god, look who our receivers were
Oh man those players bring back some painful memories. Although wilford would of been good for blake on 3rd downs wilford was good on 3rd downs not much elsewhere.

Quote:Good god, look who our receivers were
Imagine how good this team could have been with a tough defense, two headed dragon in both Freddy T and MJD, and a quality WR corps.
If Fred and MJD played their whole careers together, we probably would've won superbowls. Timing is everything.
9 Years ago is a lot of rule changes ago.  Hard pressed IMO for even that team to hold an opponent to zero.

Quote:9 Years ago is a lot of rule changes ago.  Hard pressed IMO for even that team to hold an opponent to zero.
But they managed to do it against the Jets. Who had Pennington, Leon Washington, and Laveranues Coles to name a few. Surprisingly, the Jets still managed to make the playoffs in 06. The biggest difference between the Jags of the mid 00's and the Jags we have now, is the level of passion. I just don't see that same level of intensity to go out and win with the new guys; as much as I did seeing Stroud, Peterson, and Henderson play during their primes.

Speaking of which...why did we even get rid of those three in the first place?
What did those three do after they left? Nothing.
It's hard to shutout opponents when you have enough caproom to sign three All-Pros and then some

Quote:What did those three do after they left? Nothing.
Peterson had a fairly successful career in Atlanta; but both Stroud and Henderson turned into trash without one another.
September 18, 2006. Monday Night Football against the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Ben R. Two weeks after abdominal surgery got pounded into submission by the Jaguar defense. The Steelers managed only 26 rushing yards in a 9-0 Jaguar win.

Jaguar management passed out white "noodles" before the game so tjhat Jaguar fans could drown out the Steeler fans waving the "terrible towels". But no one expected that the hometown fans would begin holding up their noodle and shaping them into "zeroes" when it became evident that the Jags we're going to shut Pittsburgh out. Sitting in that stadium at night, watching the Jags totally outplay the World Champs, and seeing a wave of white zeroes in the stands still stands out in my mind as one of the greatest experiences as. Jaguar fan.

Quote:September 18, 2006. Monday Night Football against the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Ben R. Two weeks after abdominal surgery got pounded into submission by the Jaguar defense. The Steelers managed only 26 rushing yards in a 9-0 Jaguar win.

Jaguar management passed out white "noodles" before the game so tjhat Jaguar fans could drown out the Steeler fans waving the "terrible towels". But no one expected that the hometown fans would begin holding up their noodle and shaping them into "zeroes" when it became evident that the Jags we're going to shut Pittsburgh out. Sitting in that stadium at night, watching the Jags totally outplay the World Champs, and seeing a wave of white zeroes in the stands still stands out in my mind as one of the greatest experiences as. Jaguar fan.
Those were the days. Remember when we beat both the Steelers AND the Seahawks in 2005?
We had 2 shutouts in 3 weeks that season, even though we finished 8-8, coming off a 12-4 season in 2005. Now an 8-8 season would seem like we won the Super Bowl. Sad.

Quote:We had 2 shutouts in 3 weeks that season, even though we finished 8-8, coming off a 12-4 season in 2005. Now an 8-8 season would seem like we won the Super Bowl. Sad.
We also held Philly to only 6 points when they were one of the top offenses in the league in 2006. The Jags would have made the playoffs in 06 had it not been for a very controversial fumble against New England in Week 16 of that year. And blowing a game to Tennessee in epic fashion. Along with Garrard's poor play in those last few weeks. I don't know what this forum was like in 2006; but it must have been toxic during those last 3 weeks.

Seeing our defense from 2006-2007 face off against the Seahawks defense today would be a dream match.

How many NFL games were shut out in that same time span? Even though the Jags have placed some bad teams, the NFL as a whole is offensive driven and then add in the rule tweaks,changes, and frequency of penalties, teams are scoring easier and more often then ever before. The likelihood of a shutout in today's NFL is very rare in general. 

Quote:How many NFL games were shut out in that same time span? Even though the Jags have placed some bad teams, the NFL as a whole is offensive driven and then add in the rule tweaks,changes, and frequency of penalties, teams are scoring easier and more often then ever before. The likelihood of a shutout in today's NFL is very rare in general. 
That just goes to show just how good our defense was back then.
Quote:That just goes to show just how good our defense was back then.

I may be biased but there were a few years where this team had one of the great defenses in history. Stroud and Henderson were my favorite players and the defensive ends (McCray, Spicer, Hayward) benefited from them and Stealing Peterson from Indy, the very underrated Daryl Smith with Mathis, Williams and Darius/Grant covering in the back .. those were good times watching that defense... being able to give Manning some of his worst days as a pro.. it was really a shame that those teams didn't win more. I think Jags fans shouldn't forget those years or downplay them because of the disappointments in the playoffs.. it was an era that ended too soon. Part of being a football fan is remembering the fun you had watching those team grow and even if they don't win championships, there is nothing wrong with appreciating those teams that you watched grow. 
Chad Owens returning punts baby!

Quote:Chad Owens returning punts baby!

Glory years right there
19....63? :-p