Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Utilize Ace as a receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As a punt returner Ace has been less than stellar but when he's on the field as a receiver he finds ways to get open, go up and make the catch and just make plays. He was thrown to the wayside with the emergence of Hurns, Allen and Lee but I I hope they can find a place for him still.

Wouldn't miss him..
Quote:As a punt returner Ace has been less than stellar but when he's on the field as a receiver he finds ways to get open, go up and make the catch and just make plays. He was thrown to the wayside with the emergence of Hurns, Allen and Lee but I I hope they can find a place for him still.

I hope you enjoyed him while he lasted.
That suspension really did hurt him. It allowed for other players to take away his snaps and when he finally came back you could tell he wasn't in football shape and that's hard to get back into mid football season.

I'm assuming he'll get one final opportunity to compete for a roster spot in camp but with the possibility of Blackmon coming back along with guys like Doss, Streeter, and Copeland, possibly another veteran FA or even another rookie competing as well, it will be an uphill battle for him.
The deck is stacked against Ace, but he ought to be able to stick around till preseason and  at least get a chance to redeem himself/maybe stick as a #5 receiver. He'll have to step it up considerably. 
Quote:The deck is stacked against Ace, but he ought to be able to stick around till preseason and at least get a chance to redeem himself/maybe stick as a #5 receiver. He'll have to step it up considerably.

I'm guessing our #5 receiver next year is going to give us kickoff and/or punt return options.
Quote:I'm guessing our #5 receiver next year is going to give us kickoff and/or punt return options.

I figured that was clearly implied since he was the PR the past two seasons. 
Quote:I figured that was clearly implied since he was the PR the past two seasons.

Oh, my bad. I figured it was clearly implied that an upgrade was expected, considering he was atrocious at PR the last two seasons.
Quote:Oh, my bad. I figured it was clearly implied that an upgrade was expected, considering he was atrocious at PR the last two seasons.

Oh my bad. I figured you'd see the words "redeem himself" and "he'll have to step it up considerably" and understand that I'm painfully aware of how badly an upgrade is required.  

While it's obviously a longshot that he proves to be the best option at PR - if he were to pick up were he left off at a certain point in 2013 when he showed some legitimate flashes - and step it up considerably  - then yeah - he could stick as a PR/WR#5. 

Whatever. This stuff seems so obvious. You wanna bash the guy... that's fine too. Be my guest. 
Quote:Oh my bad. I figured you'd see the words "redeem himself" and "he'll have to step it up considerably" and understand that I'm painfully aware of how badly an upgrade is required.

While it's obviously a longshot that he proves to be the best option at PR - if he were to pick up were he left off at a certain point in 2013 when he showed some legitimate flashes - and step it up considerably - then yeah - he could stick as a PR/WR#5.

Whatever. This stuff seems so obvious. You wanna bash the guy... that's fine too. Be my guest.

No bruh. Its not about bashing a guy. Its about us having 3 rookie receivers on the roster who all showed something in their first season and are basically all locks to return. We also have Tandon Doss, who has proven return skills, on the roster. There is a reason he was retained by the team instead of being cut with an injury settlement in place. That's four spots right there, and that is not considering the one to three FAs slash draft picks most of us suspect we will acquire in the off season.

That pretty much seals the fate of Ace Sanders in my mind. Hes kinda quick, not very fast and really short. Not exactly a prototype at the position.

^Sorry if that upsets you
Quote:No bruh. Its not about bashing a guy. Its about us having 3 rookie receivers on the roster who all showed something in their first season and are basically all locks to return. We also have Tandon Doss, who has proven return skills, on the roster. There is a reason he was retained by the team instead of being cut with an injury settlement in place. That's four spots right there, and that is not considering the one to three FAs slash draft picks most of us suspect we will acquire in the off season.

That pretty much seals the fate of Ace Sanders in my mind. Hes kinda quick, not very fast and really short. Not exactly a prototype at the position.

^Sorry if that upsets you

Again.  All obvious information.  

It doesn't upset me. I just feel like taking the time to reply to a post that clearly states that Ace has an uphill battle ahead to retain a spot on the roster - with a snide remark stating the same thing only differently is pretty lame. 

It's like I didn't make the outlook bleak enough for your taste so you had to turn up the snark-o-meter or something.

Have fun with that. 
Ace has had his opportunities but failed to maximize them. The drug bust didn't help his image either and he has no one to blame for that but himself. Given the emergence of our other receivers, Ace's 'stock' isn't looking too good; and when you're not looking good on a team with this teams record... it's probably time to move on. 

Sanders may squeak onto the roster as the 5th WR and returner, but my gut says someone squeezes him out.  Doss or a sleeper in Copeland could be his downfall, or possibly there is a vet FA WR brought in.     

Quote:Wouldn't miss him..
Not a bit.
If rumors are true of us adding a good vet receiver, he's probably done.  Only way I see him sticking around is if he does well in camp and/or Blackmon messes up again.

Yawn
Quote:Sanders may squeak onto the roster as the 5th WR and returner, but my gut says someone squeezes him out.  Doss or a sleeper in Copeland could be his downfall, or possibly there is a vet FA WR brought in.     
Had Doss remained healthy last year, Ace may not have made the roster.  I think that will be his primary competition again this year. 
Ace may not even make it to training camp. Shoot, if the Jags land Cobb, he might not even make it to the draft.

Quote:Ace may not even make it to training camp. Shoot, if the Jags land Cobb, he might not even make it to the draft.

He probably makes it to the draft.  They need bodies for training camp.
Quote:He probably makes it to the draft.  They need bodies for training camp.
Good point.
Pages: 1 2 3