Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Proposed Aquarium in Jax Gets Funding for Feasibility Study
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://m.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/ne...tml?r=full

The first hurdle of getting an aquarium downtown seems to have been completed. Seems pretty cool too that they believe the aquarium could fit perfectly next to Shad's shipyard plan. Could be some exciting things coming our way.
Wow that looks pretty impressive

I doubt that is how the exact design will turn out, but they've done a really good job at this point.  They always send people to local festivals and farmers markets to get their word out.

If you put that right next to the shipyard project, downtown is going to be completely revamped.

The group has $50k for a study. I doubt they will ever have 120 million for an actual aquarium.

Why call it "First Coast" aquarium?  If you're going to call it that, then call it Jacksonville Aquarium.

Quote:Why call it "First Coast" aquarium?  If you're going to call it that, then call it Jacksonville Aquarium.

I wouldn't worry about it. It will never get built.
Quote:I wouldn't worry about it. It will never get built.

You don't think they can get additional investors?  Especially putting this right next to the shipyards.
Quote:You don't think they can get additional investors?  Especially putting this right next to the shipyards.

125 million dollars? No. I do not think they will get anything close to that. The group took a year almost to get 50k for a study.
Quote:125 million dollars? No. I do not think they will get anything close to that. The group took a year almost to get 50k for a study.

The study is what will show if its economically viable.  That is what they will use to reach out to people with $$$ to get more money.  I can't imagine people would put all this time and money into seeing if it would work without having at least someone (or a group) in mind to back them.
Looks awesome, just imagine the views during nighttime game. I wish them the best of luck. Projects here seemed to fall along the waste side. I hope this is not one of them.
Quote:The study is what will show if its economically viable.  That is what they will use to reach out to people with $$$ to get more money.  I can't imagine people would put all this time and money into seeing if it would work without having at least someone (or a group) in mind to back them.

It happens all the time. 
Sounds fishy to me.

Maybe they pick up a little momentum if the Shipyards project gets off the ground.  Otherwise, I'm skeptical they'll find private funding at the levels they are hoping to secure to build this thing.  It would certainly provide a nice draw from tourists in tandem with the shipyards project, but as a standalone it will wind up being a really nice concept. 

If the study shows the project is economically feasable and the shipyards becomes a reality, muni bonds will fund it.

Quote:Maybe they pick up a little momentum if the Shipyards project gets off the ground.  Otherwise, I'm skeptical they'll find private funding at the levels they are hoping to secure to build this thing.  It would certainly provide a nice draw from tourists in tandem with the shipyards project, but as a standalone it will wind up being a really nice concept. 
bingo, everything hinges on the Shipyards now in that area. If Khan gets those off the ground plenty will line up to be adjacent to it with an aquarium.
We need an amusement park near Jacksonville that's the tourist trap is the amusement parks.

North east Florida missed the boat when no one opened the door for six flags when they wanted to come here.

Man, it seems like Jacksonville is set to change so dramatically over the next 10-20 years. I know that mostly everybody doesn't want the Olympics, or any international sporting event in Jax; but if Khan can get the shipyards built, along with other tourist attractions and infrastructure; you've got to think that Jacksonville will then take a major step towards becoming a world class city. That then opens up a lot of possibilities for this place.

I dont mind all the growth in jacksonville i just want to keep out of putnam county. I like my rural nobody county.
It doesn't have to look anything like that to be an awesome aquarium. The Georgia Aquarium is in downtown Atlanta and from the outside you would never know what it was if not for the signs.

That's an awesome concept drawing but I'd rather it not be so elaborate ($$$$$$$). It can be more understated and still be awesome. Put the money into having more sea life or whatever. 

Quote:Man, it seems like Jacksonville is set to change so dramatically over the next 10-20 years. I know that mostly everybody doesn't want the Olympics, or any international sporting event in Jax; but if Khan can get the shipyards built, along with other tourist attractions and infrastructure; you've got to think that Jacksonville will then take a major step towards becoming a world class city. That then opens up a lot of possibilities for this place.
Maybe the NFL would allow the Super Bowl to come back and people would actually not make fun of Duval on a national scale.
Pages: 1 2