Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Elon Musk reports disastrous 4Q earnings for Tesla Motors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-w...story.html

I'll admit. Elon Musk has a big imagination, and is very bold and ambitious; but he is not a businessman. 50 percent revenue increases over the next 10 years will put them on the same level as Apple? he must really have visited Mars.

Musk seems to have trouble recognizing the fact that the vast majority of people can't afford an $80,000 car. 

Quote:Musk seems to have trouble recognizing the fact that the vast majority of people can't afford an $80,000 car.

And of the people who can, how many want that car? If I'm putting down that much money for a car, it certainly isn't going to be a Tesla.
Quote:Musk seems to have trouble recognizing the fact that the vast majority of people can't afford an $80,000 car. 

thats why theyre putting out a 35k car.
Quote:And of the people who can, how many want that car? If I'm putting down that much money for a car, it certainly isn't going to be a Tesla.

id ask, why?
Quote:id ask, why?
Because a Tesla is a quintessential "second car". Every car can do the daily 30 to 60 minute commute to and from work and every car can get me to and from the Ikea with a fairly decent load of flat pack furniture. And while that's usually 95% of the trips a car makes, it's the other 5% that makes the Tesla impractical.

Take for example my brother; he drives to and from work every weekday, for that trip a simple small hatchback would do. But because his girlfriend is Polish he also drives to Poland three times a year with a trunk full of luggage. So instead of having a small hatchback he owns a Volvo station wagon. Even if he could afford a Tesla he still wouldn't buy one because it can't meet all the requirements he has of a car. And that's where the problem lies with a Tesla; it does phenomenally on 95% of all trips but it can't manage the last 5% and while people can afford a Tesla, they can't afford a second car just for that last 5%. So they buy an Audi or BMW instead because it can do that last 5%. 
Quote:id ask, why?

One can buy a lot more car for less money. A new Corvette can be had for $55,000. I'd certainly pick a Corvette over a Tesla any day. That's just me, though.
Well it doesn't help that he has made all his designs and tech open to the public by not perusing any patents. Great mind that might help society turn the corner from fossil fuel but that doesn't make him a wise businessman.

Kind of like the guy that gave away the polio vaccine
Quote:Well it doesn't help that he has made all his designs and tech open to the public by not perusing any patents. Great mind that might help society turn the corner from fossil fuel but that doesn't make him a wise businessman.

Kind of like the guy that gave away the polio vaccine

Electricity requires fossil fuel for production. It's a product not a source.
Quote:Electricity requires fossil fuel for production. It's a product not a source.

I'm talking more about as a fuel for vehicle transport. Tesla is by far the most efficient form of electric car out there and he's made it all patent free to try and spark new inovation
Quote:I'm talking more about as a fuel for vehicle transport. Tesla is by far the most efficient form of electric car out there and he's made it all patent free to try and spark new inovation

Sure, but how much coal do you have to burn to power one up for 300 miles?

A common misconception about electric, and clean-energy vehicles in general, is that they are all recent ideas and inventions; but the idea of an electric car goes all the way back to the 1800's.

http://inventors.about.com/od/estartinve...hicles.htm

http://inventors.about.com/od/estartinve...hicles.htm

http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinve...hicles.htm

Quote:One can buy a lot more car for less money. A new Corvette can be had for $55,000. I'd certainly pick a Corvette over a Tesla any day. That's just me, though.

Well now you're talking about another price range

But in terms of the whole picture, if this new model 3 comes out for 35k and its similar to a BMW 3 series. Do you have an argument against it?
Quote:Well now you're talking about another price range

But in terms of the whole picture, if this new model 3 comes out for 35k and its similar to a BMW 3 series. Do you have an argument against it?

Well, my point about the Corvette was about the cars, and that the Corvette was much more of one. If it were the same price, I'd still pick the Corvette.

And yes, I'd pick the BMW as well, much for the reason DF illustrated earlier.
Quote:And of the people who can, how many want that car? If I'm putting down that much money for a car, it certainly isn't going to be a Tesla.

Everyone I know under 40 wants one of those bad boys.
Quote:Everyone I know under 40 wants one of those bad boys.

Id take any kind of hybrid or electric car I drive 100 miles a day round trip and the wife drives 60 miles round trip every day taking the kids to school. Fuel is a big part of our budget, problem is the cost of the alternative fuel vehicles is still to high for me and second outside of the ford escape I don't think any of them can make it down my road in the rain season.
Quote:Id take any kind of hybrid or electric car I drive 100 miles a day round trip and the wife drives 60 miles round trip every day taking the kids to school. Fuel is a big part of our budget, problem is the cost of the alternative fuel vehicles is still to high for me and second outside of the ford escape I don't think any of them can make it down my road in the rain season.

I feel ya. I'm doing about 120 a day now to three different cities. Which is why I'm the worlds only Kia driving farmer haha.

Electric cars are getting pretty popular here though. A lot of people have leased Fiats because you can grab them on a 3 year lease for $90 a month. Whatever helps clean up our [BLEEP] air here, I'm all for.
Quote:Everyone I know under 40 wants one of those bad boys.

Okay, but I'll counter that with nobody I know wants one.

I don't think that I would buy a Tesla anyways. Their cars have suffered from a number of mechanical and safety issues; and I just don't think that they're worth that much of an investment. Again, Elon Musk has a great vision; but he is not a businessman.

Quote:Okay, but I'll counter that with nobody I know wants one.

What's your point?
Pages: 1 2 3