Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Calling all plumbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, As I always do, I am putting up a repair problem here before calling a professional.

I have a new hot water heater (only a year old).  It is a 6 year model.  Sometimes the water is only lukewarm when it comes out in the shower, other times it is border line hot.  Sometimes we only get 15 minutes of hot water (which causes a problem for my wife since I usually shower first) and other times it seems to pump out hot water for a long time.  

Question.  Is there some kind of setting I can adjust to fix the fact that it is only producing 15 minutes worth of hot water sometimes.  I used to live in a condo with a hot water heater half the size and we never ran out of hot water.

or...

Do you think I need to call someone?

Note:  I am OK at fixing things...I stress OK.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on a couple things. How many gallon is the water heater? What setting is it on?

Side note:

Always got a chuckle when people call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. Just pickin dude haha
Another thing to consider is it a single element, or a dual element? If it's a dual element one of the heaters may be shorting out.

Quote:It depends on a couple things. How many gallon is the water heater? What setting is it on?

Side note:

Always got a chuckle when people call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. Just pickin dude haha
Ha.  I never thought of that.  And yes, it is OK to mock people for this particular example of stupidity.  I plan on doing it now.

It is a 40 gallon tank. I don't know what setting it is on, which is to say, I didn't see a dial or anything.  What setting do you mean?
Well over time, heater elements can fade or need replaced too, but yours is fairly new so the chances of that are slim.

Near your heating element, there should be a thermostat, that should be checked to determine how hot you'd like your setting to be.

Normally for a 40 gallon tank and two people, you should

have plenty.
Quote:Well over time, heater elements can fade or need replaced too, but yours is fairly new so the chances of that are slim.

Near your heating element, there should be a thermostat, that should be checked to determine how hot you'd like your setting to be.

Normally for a 40 gallon tank and two people, you should

have plenty.
Thanks.  I appreciate it. I figured that 40 gallons was enough.  i will check the thermometer and if that checks out it is probably still under warranty.
Quote:Thanks. I appreciate it. I figured that 40 gallons was enough. i will check the thermometer and if that checks out it is probably still under warranty.

Not a problem. Hope I helped some.
We had to flush the water lines once to clear sediment. Living near a lot oc sand caused a build up.
Men that know their way around a tool box are sexy...just sayin! :yes:
Quote:Men that know their way around a tool box are sexy...just sayin! :yes:

I went to a bar once called The Tool Box...

Never again...
Quote:I went to a bar once called The Tool Box...

Never again...

Was it in the Movie BEER? Did you see the Norbecker Men?
My water heater is doing the same thing. I suspect a faulty thermostat, but my laziness has kept me from verifying that. I'm guessing that like mine, the issue with yours happened suddenly. That would rule out a sediment build up issue, that and the age of your heater.

I don't suspect a heating element as an issue, because mine does reach the target temperature. The thermostat has to have a cut on temp in addition to the cut off temp you can adjust. What seems to be happening with mine is the thermostat is not recognizing when the water has cooled below that point. It doesn't start heating until the water has become too cold. That's why sometimes you have lukewarm water, I suspect.

At any rate, please post what the resolution is, as I'm obviously curious. You're likely to beat me to the repair.
Since there's a couple of you smart folks in here, I have a leak coming from the second floor. I think it's the second floor bathroom (shower?), and it's coming through the first floor ceiling. It seems to only get worse when the shower runs (and maybe the toilet). Any ideas on a self-fix or is this a job for the plumber?

Quote:Since there's a couple of you smart folks in here, I have a leak coming from the second floor. I think it's the second floor bathroom (shower?), and it's coming through the first floor ceiling. It seems to only get worse when the shower runs (and maybe the toilet). Any ideas on a self-fix or is this a job for the plumber?

Plumber.. And ya better get it done quick before mold starts to set in.
I adjusted the temperature and will test again tomorrow.  I too suspect the thermostat.  I will let people know what happens.  thanks for everyone's help.

Quote:It depends on a couple things. How many gallon is the water heater? What setting is it on?

Side note:

Like when I would hear people say atm machine, ram memory, pin/vin number, lcd display; I just get a laugh when I hear people say it. 

I know mines had a thermostat behind some fiberglass, if yours wasn't newish I would preach the joys of a tankless water heater lol.   
Quote:Plumber.. And ya better get it done quick before mold starts to set in.

Or the ceiling falls.
Quote:Like when I would hear people say atm machine, ram memory, pin/vin number, lcd display; I just get a laugh when I hear people say it.

I know mines had a thermostat behind some fiberglass, if yours wasn't newish I would preach the joys of a tankless water heater lol.
Tankless is wonderful! Constant hot water is awesome!!!
It's your heater element you have two of them in most hot water heaters you have one that is no good.

It's super easy to do, shut off power to your heater at the breaker. Drain your tank. Purchase an element from lowes or Home Depot (11-15$) and you'll need an element socket about $20. Pop off the cover on the now empty and powerless tank disconnect the electrical lines you'll see two of them power and ground. Pop the socket on and turn ( it'll be tight so put your rear into it) the element will come out easy after the first few turns. Insert new element and turn when you connect the power and ground make sure you first fill the tank BEFORE turning the power back on or you'll blow the element again. That's the most important part make sure the tank is full before turning the power back on.

Note you'll see the obvious break in your old element when you pull it out.
Quote:My water heater is doing the same thing. I suspect a faulty thermostat, but my laziness has kept me from verifying that. I'm guessing that like mine, the issue with yours happened suddenly. That would rule out a sediment build up issue, that and the age of your heater.

I don't suspect a heating element as an issue, because mine does reach the target temperature. The thermostat has to have a cut on temp in addition to the cut off temp you can adjust. What seems to be happening with mine is the thermostat is not recognizing when the water has cooled below that point. It doesn't start heating until the water has become too cold. That's why sometimes you have lukewarm water, I suspect.

At any rate, please post what the resolution is, as I'm obviously curious. You're likely to beat me to the repair.

90% of the time it's the element even a small break will drastically reduce it's effectiveness.
Pages: 1 2