Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Constantine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone else a fan of this TV Show? I remember Constantine when he first showed up in the graphic novel Swamp Thing (#25) I think the show is true to the graphic novel and really has my interest.

Liked the movie, not too keen on the show.
Quote:Liked the movie, not too keen on the show.

Funny that, the show is much closer to the source material than the movie was.
Quote:Funny that, the show is much closer to the source material than the movie was.

I think its the actors that turn me off for some reason.
Quote:I think its the actors that turn me off for some reason.

Yeah...I wanted to really like the show but the lead guy is kinda annoying!!
Quote:Yeah...I wanted to really like the show but the lead guy is kinda annoying!!

In Swamp Thing #25 when he's introduced, He IS an annoying bloke.......

He's always been an unlikable anti-hero type, and not in the good way.
I think they picked the perfect actor to portray Constantine.

Quote:Yeah...I wanted to really like the show but the lead guy is kinda annoying!!

He's supposed to be. I don't know that actor's name off hand but he has John nailed perfectly.

John Constantine is not a hero in the traditional sense. He's a hedonistic narcissist in addition to being a grade-A feminine hygiene product. One didn't read Hellblazer (the source material) and think of him as a role model in any sense of the word (unlike Superman, for example). Still, the comic was excellent for the majority of its run (DC-Vertigo) and the storylines were strong. Most of the Vertigo titles (deemed for a "mature" audience) were solid like Sandman (Neil Gaiman's run especially).

I agree with The Drifter. I love this show. I was hooked from the first episode when they showed the Helmet of Fate (Doctor Fate being one of my favorite DC characters, along with the Spectre...who makes a cameo a bit later). They find a way to work immediately-pre-reboot Black Adam into this show and it's going in my top 5 of all time. Tongue

Simply put, this show rocks.

Quote:He's supposed to be. I don't know that actor's name off hand but he has John nailed perfectly.

John Constantine is not a hero in the traditional sense. He's a hedonistic narcissist in addition to being a grade-A feminine hygiene product. One didn't read Hellblazer (the source material) and think of him as a role model in any sense of the word (unlike Superman, for example). Still, the comic was excellent for the majority of its run (DC-Vertigo) and the storylines were strong. Most of the Vertigo titles (deemed for a "mature" audience) were solid like Sandman (Neil Gaiman's run especially).

I agree with The Drifter. I love this show. I was hooked from the first episode when they showed the Helmet of Fate (Doctor Fate being one of my favorite DC characters, along with the Spectre...who makes a cameo a bit later). They find a way to work immediately-pre-reboot Black Adam into this show and it's going in my top 5 of all time. Tongue

Simply put, this show rocks.

Other than the movie, I didn't even know there was a back story to it, so I didn't know he's supoosed to act like he's sponsored by Summers Eve...
I'm trying not to get hooked onto anymore shows, I've got to many to keep up with as it is, but I loved the Movie so I might end up watching it if it sticks around.

Quote:.

Other than the movie, I didn't even know there was a back story to it, so I didn't know he's supoosed to act like he's sponsored by Summers Eve...

Nah, more like Rephresh...lol. He's too trashy for Summers Eve.

The movie was awful from a purist (read: comic nerd like myself) standpoint and casting Keanu Reeves (*shiver*) as Constantine only compounded the issue (imo). The only reasons I can even watch that movie are Tilda Swinton (Gabriel), Djimon Honsou (Papa Midnite) and Peter Stormare (Lucifer) whom I have a great deal of respect for as actors.

I should say that I largely watch this show for John himself and to spot the easter eggs...but I still love the show. Tongue
Quote:Nah, more like Rephresh...lol. He's too trashy for Summers Eve.

The movie was awful from a purist (read: comic nerd like myself) standpoint and casting Keanu Reeves (*shiver*) as Constantine only compounded the issue (imo). The only reasons I can even watch that movie are Tilda Swinton (Gabriel), Djimon Honsou (Papa Midnite) and Peter Stormare (Lucifer) whom I have a great deal of respect for as actors.

I should say that I largely watch this show for John himself and to spot the easter eggs...but I still love the show. Tongue

Easter eggs?
Quote:Easter eggs?

Yeah...little bits tossed in, usually in passing or hard to spot, that are generally easy to miss or seemingly irrelevant but are recognizable by someone familiar with the subject matter. Remember in Episode 1 when they first went to the cabin and there was that quick interaction about a rather ominous looking solid gold total-face helmet? That was an easter egg because it references Doctor Fate (an obscure-to-a-non-comic-fan, insanely powerful magic user).

You could argue that the entire last episode was one big easter egg since the focal point of the episode wasn't quite what it should have been (The Black Diamond). Which I'm going to assume probably irked some fan boys but the last thing John and Co. need right now is Eclipso running around causing trouble in addition to the Brujeria.

Quote:He's supposed to be. I don't know that actor's name off hand but he has John nailed perfectly.

<div>Matt Ryan

Here's a run down of the 1st season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine..._series%29</div>
Quote: 

1. <div>
    <div>Matt Ryan
    Actor
    </div>

2. <div>Matt Ryan is a Welsh actor from Swansea, Wales. Wikipedia
    </div>

4. <div>Born: April 11, 1981 (age 33), Swansea, United Kingdom
    </div>

5. <div>Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
    </div>

6. <div>Nationality: British
    </div>

</div>

Thanks, Drifter. I know I could've looked that up but I was being woefully lazy. When I wrote that post, it was stream of consciousness...as most of my posts are (hence the abundant editing I do).
I watched it a couple of times.  Mostly because it came on after Grimm. Not a bad show, but I didn't keep up because I figured it wouldn't stay on long.  Lot's of good comic book shows now a days though.

Quote:I watched it a couple of times.  Mostly because it came on after Grimm. Not a bad show, but I didn't keep up because I figured it wouldn't stay on long.  Lot's of good comic book shows now a days though.

COMIC BOOKS! COMIC BOOKS! They're called GRAPHIC NOVELS Please.........  :teehee:

I started to watch it. But I seriously have a ridiculously large amount of shows that I watch as it is. In no particular order I view the below on hulu. 

Glee, Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, Empire, Vampire Diaries, Monday Night Raw, Thursday Night Smackdown, American Idol, The Blacklist, and that's just a few. When I can I'll throw in Backstrom, Constatine, Agent Carter, Blackish, and Vikings. 

That's many hours of TV viewing a week. Thank goodness a good chunk of those is while on a treadmill.......